Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 08:09 PM
kmy kmy started this thread

10 posts, read 35,409 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if it is normal for housing in West Virginia with no air conditioning? Or I should be more specific, like in Tucker county
Thanks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 10:40 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Well, it depends on how old the house is generally, Most newer homes come with standard central heating and air. But a lot of houses that are older, built before central air was around do not have the duct work to support it. You can easily solve this problem with the miniature window air conditioners. They are not as effecient as central air but work almost as well. Tucker county is one of the nuturally colder areas of the state. Not saying its going to be cold there, but generally the tempetures are going to be a lot cooler than in Martinsburg in the eastern panhandle or in Charleston or Huntington in the southern part of the state.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:27 AM
kmy kmy started this thread

10 posts, read 35,409 times
Thanks a lot

Old 05-19-2007, 11:49 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
One of the things you'll find is that, out in the country, it's never quite as hot as in the city. All that asphalt, concrete, buildings, etc., with very little lawns/trees, captures and retains the heat very well. I'm about 30 miles outside of Pittsburgh, and my temp at home is usually 2-3 degrees cooler than the official city temperature.

We built this house in 1979, and until last year, never had air conditioning. Depending on the year, there would be 5-10 days a summer when I wish we did. But I have lots of trees, and the houses are about 300-500 feet apart, so it's clearly not a dense urban area. One reason I got A/C last year is that the oil furnace needed to be replaced, and a two-stage oil furnace/heat pump system offered the best energy efficiency.

If you get window A/C units for the bedrooms, you should be fine.

Snorpus

Old 05-19-2007, 05:44 PM

215 posts, read 1,164,190 times
I have window units in storage right now. If you look at weather.com, they tell you the average high temp in Davis is 77 degrees. I have lived here for only 2 1/2 weeks now, and so far it's been cooler here in Davis than the surrounding areas. For example, it seems as if Elkins has been averaging 5-10 degrees warmer than here in Davis. Also, it seems as if the wind is constantly moving, I haven't experienced a "still" day yet. And the breeze is nice and cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia