U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 05:24 AM

2,920 posts, read 3,447,375 times
I've never claimed that Huntington could compete with the bigger cities in other states for offerings. But for me, Huntington does have plenty to do and I don't find it boring at all. West Virginia may not be for you two and I truly respect that but for me, it works just fine and is a great place to live. I may not always agree with you two but I typically respect what you post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 07:04 AM

6,522 posts, read 4,815,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
The sad thing is that Morgantown and Huntington are both pretty boring places to live. I wish they were as exciting as both of you seem to think your respective cities are. WVU football and basketball gamedays are pretty much the only time Morgantown is fun for me anymore. I loved it in my early 20s, but it just gets less and less appealing every year. Huntington is just flat out boring...though to be fair if I was a Marshall athletics fan, I'd imagine I'd like it more.
I grew up in Wheeling, and my brother worked for the WWVA Jamboree when they brought in big name entertainment every week... Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Tom T. Hall, etc. and I seldom went. It seems the closer we are to great things, the less we appreciate them. There are incredible cultural offerings in Morgantown... concerts and plays every week, many are national shows on tour. And, although they aren't pro teams, the college football and basketball there it top flight.

The bar scene is disappearing virtually everywhere. Ever since our police have become reincarnations of the Gestapo instead of having an attitude of helping people, a person is assumed to be guilty and has to prove himself innocent whenever he encounters a cop. It's more of a hassle to go out these days than it is worth. If you can't walk from the bar to your house, nobody in his right mind will take a chance. From that standpoint, life is boring everywhere these days. The overzealots like MADD and other wacko organizations have totally destroyed a way of life.

But, aside from the fact that, like everywhere else, you just can't go out clubbing any longer, there is absolutely no reason to be bored in Morgantown.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:56 AM

11,962 posts, read 7,327,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Tim, I didn't even mention Huntington...
Your link plain as day.

Corgis friend is missing in glenville, but I guess the FBI should be informed they need to check huntington. Go ahead and call them, his life is at stake.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:18 AM

The link to Detriot crime in undeniable and regretable.
I'm certain Tim shares my concern about it.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:04 AM

There aren't drugs in Charleston. That's why my neighbor cross ways from me is a DEA agent. He doesn't chase small time characters selling prescription drugs like the kid who approached a visiting relative of mine on their way into the drugstore. That embarrassed the hell out of me I'll have you know, and left my whole family with a very poor impression of the life I have in Charleston. Calling the police was pretty useless- they excused themselves from enforcing the law because they don't have a plain clothes task force to bust him in the act. Instead I called the drugstore itself and they were livid enough to kick this young man to the curb themselves. That didn't make the 6 o'clock news.

This kid might be too small a fish, but how many high school classmates is he selling drugs to and for whom? Detroit is here just like Huntington, just like any city in WV I'm guessing, because wherever demand is, business will follow. The likelihood that this young mans parents are drug abusers is pretty high. Elsewhere DCS gets involved through the school to intervene, but it appears that culturally that's unacceptable in WV. How do WV'ns address this problem besides ignoring out of fear of retribution? How can it ever get addressed under the law when cops play passive aggressive?

Old 12-21-2009, 06:34 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,483,230 times
At one time in Wv, strong Parent Teachers Associations bound the teachers to the parents and families.

The teachers unions have changed all that...It was called accountability.

Now teaching is just a job for most...get the time in and retire...

A friend just retired as a Principal...

laughingly, he said to me..."At least I won't be getting too many threats from those crack-head parents anymore..."

Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 AM

Those crack head parents shouldn't be a teacher or administrators problem. Child services intervention is appropriate elsewhere, but not here? Why not?

PTA meetings needed to evolve to a report card for the parents when you're stuck in a meeting listening to individuals whine about why Johnny didn't get an A when he failed to do homework for an entire quarter. Disruptive behavior in schools defended by parents is another gem.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
There aren't drugs in Charleston. That's why my neighbor cross ways from me is a DEA agent. He doesn't chase small time characters selling prescription drugs like the kid who approached a visiting relative of mine on their way into the drugstore. That embarrassed the hell out of me I'll have you know, and left my whole family with a very poor impression of the life I have in Charleston. Calling the police was pretty useless- they excused themselves from enforcing the law because they don't have a plain clothes task force to bust him in the act. Instead I called the drugstore itself and they were livid enough to kick this young man to the curb themselves. That didn't make the 6 o'clock news.

This kid might be too small a fish, but how many high school classmates is he selling drugs to and for whom? Detroit is here just like Huntington, just like any city in WV I'm guessing, because wherever demand is, business will follow. The likelihood that this young mans parents are drug abusers is pretty high. Elsewhere DCS gets involved through the school to intervene, but it appears that culturally that's unacceptable in WV. How do WV'ns address this problem besides ignoring out of fear of retribution? How can it ever get addressed under the law when cops play passive aggressive?
Don't get me wrong, I don't have any evidence that this is happening in Charleston or any place else specifically, but I think part of the problem is the small towns in West Virginia (and every town in West Virginia is a small town) lack the resources to adequately police their own police forces. Corruption is widespread, and often even ranking officials are part of the drug distribution network. Not at the "street" level, but as being complicit in the act.

I remember a few decades ago I had a (now deceased) neighbor in Wheeling who was selling marijuana to kids... I mean 12 to 14 year olds. I would see them walk up to his door and come away with the bags of drugs. I reported it to a police Lt. and the next thing I know the neighbor was on my doorstep telling me to keep out of his business. It was clear the cop was either on the take, or he was taking siezed drugs and re-distributing them. WV police forces don't have "Internal Affairs" divisions, and there is little to stop such things from happening.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:13 AM

4,560 posts, read 7,136,764 times
Preston County Physician's Assistant Sentenced on Federal Drug Charge - WBOY-TV - WBOY.com (http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=72318 - broken link)

Quote:
Timothy Bolyard was sentenced to a year in prison.

CLARKSBURG -- Federal Judge Irene Keeley has sentenced a Preston County man for selling prescription drugs.
Timothy Bolyard will spend a year in prison, followed by two years of probation, for distributing hydracodone.

Bolyard pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute the drug on December 8.

Bolyard committed the crime while working as a physician's assistant at the Preston Family Health Center.
A PA dealing and sentenced to one year. Wow, what a deterrent.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:07 AM

Could be just a "low level" offender who is selling a few
pills to support his own addiction. When you see "hydrocodone"
listed as the substance, it is quite possible that an otherwise
law abiding citizen got himself caught up taking the substance
quite legally, but became addicted. You'd be surprised at the
number of professional people who get in that situation and
get in trouble with it.

Some incompetent physician, or dentist, or combination thereof
gets someone hooked, then spooks and won't keep supplying
that person. In desperation they turn to illegal solutions. Not
that this is the best answer, by any means, but the addicted
brain doesn't think like the rest of us. There was a physician
in Brewster, NY who got in serious trouble for selling just last
year. The withdrawal from codone drugs is horrible, and some
have a very hard time with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia