U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-23-2009, 10:25 AM

404 posts, read 764,208 times
Good news and bad news. Our freezer that we bought in 1972 lasted over 30 years! And we now have a large chest freezer, which we've been looking for, to store our hog and chicken feed in. That's the good news.

The bad news is that we now need a new freezer because the huge power surge we got when our power went out in the storm fried our freezer.

I went out this morning to get some rabbit out for stew and the freezer tries to kick in but stops. Some of the ice has already melted from the side of the freezer. The food is still frozen but it won't be for long. The freezer is in our root cellar so it's buying us some time.

We have two other freezers we can store some food in and a friend who has room for the rest.

Thinking about forking out the bucks for a natural gas freezer but first need to see if the cost will be worth the energy cost savings by not paying for electric and using our free gas.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 10:44 AM

566 posts, read 945,264 times
The large freezer my Grandparents bought in 1963 finally quit at the start of deer season. Their Servel gas fridge lasted until 1995, I suppose it was purchased in the 1940s, maybe even 1930s, before electricity came to town.

Any appliance these days has short life expectancy and should be considered disposable after two repairs.

Someone told me about a discussion they had with the power company about food that spoils in a power outage. They were told to claim it on their homeowner's policy. We disagree, since that would seem to relieve the utility of an incentive to maintain proper lines.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:37 AM

4,111 posts, read 6,798,217 times
What did it fry? The compressor? Wiring? Those older units are generally not hard to fix with an upgraded compressor and wiring- just need to find somebody that can charge the new she-bang.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:35 PM

I think it's the compressor. It starts running for about 10 or 15 seconds, then stops again. Might be worth trying to get it repaired. If I could find anyone around here who still does that. And if the parts are available. I'm pretty sure it's a Kenmore. Half to dig the book out.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
There are a number of places that restore and resell old wood stoves. Here are some links.
Thanks! Will check those out. I found one that is a grandpa bear, like the one we have, for $750. Plus I'd have to go get it...with someone who could help load it. I'm going to keep looking for one closer to home. I paid $450 for the one we have now in the other house. Got it at tractor supply. It's a piece of junk. It's more for show than actually heating a house. The handle keeps coming apart and I have to get up twice in the middle of the night to put more wood it in because you can't really shut it down like the fisher we have at the farm.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:21 PM

8,016 posts, read 15,600,826 times
This must be the yr freezer conk out! My gf in SC just had to replace hers too! Was 20 yrs old!!

Old 12-24-2009, 02:15 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,271,468 times
Shared Spirit:

Repair that freezer..I expect it is a blown capacitor on the compressor pump.

Any used appliance store in your area will fix it cheaply and that is a very common brand. Kenmore/Whirlpool.

New new appliances are cheaply mad, sophisticated and noisy, but that descision is yours to make..

check the door gasket, they can order that and replace it too, if needed.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:26 PM

That's the plan David. After the new year. To busy until then to deal with it. Everything is now safely tucked away in other freezers. Ordering a new seal is a great idea also!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia