U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 12:42 AM

2,831 posts, read 3,282,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Parkersburg is definitely the hub of its isolated little region.
I stand corrected then. I had thought Marietta was about equal in size and activity. My mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 06:53 AM

4,139 posts, read 6,815,033 times
Nothing against Huntington, but I would always defer to Morgantown as it's closer to the recreational 'wilderness'.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:59 AM

6,284 posts, read 4,465,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Martinsburg is a good 1hr 30min from DC. I'd say they are "independent", too.

Well, for music, live shows, and things like that, Pittsburgh obviously gets more and better acts than the entire state of WV and its an hour from Morgantown, so obviously people tend to make the short trip up there for shows. I wouldn't quite say its "dependent" though. Morgantown has some things going on, too. They've been getting big time comedy shows recently. Ralphie May and Ron White are going to be coming in the next month or so, I think. I get bored frequently, though. It's just that with the proximity of Pittsburgh, why not go up and hang out. I'm up there every other weekend it seems.

I wouldn't say Martinsburg and Morgantown are that comparable at all. The growth in Martinsburg is fueled by the town being a DC satellite commuter town. Morgantown's growth is because of the growth of Morgantown itself.
I agree with you, except my daughter and her family live in Martinsburg and she says they can get to either DC or Baltimore in about an hour depending on traffic. They also have a rail connection.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:20 AM

4,139 posts, read 6,815,033 times
Not to mention that Martisnburg / EP is very close to NoVA, Winchester and other areas. We used to drive to Wolf Trap for summer shows, etc..

Old 12-20-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Actual math of residents + students:

29,642 (Morgantown pop.) + 28,839(WVU enrollment)= 58,481

49,185 (Huntington pop.) + 13,800 (MU Enrollment) = 62,985

62,985 > 58,481

Also, Morgantown had been in a state of decline from the 1970s until 2000 when the recent growth began thanks to a surge in enrollment at WVU and new designation as an MSA. It has only surpassed it's 1970 population this past couple of years.

When referring to Huntington:

Nor does Morgantown's population seeing as less than 50% does not equal "most".
Tim, the problem with your data for Huntington is you are counting the 13,800 Marshall students as residents there. A very high percentage are commuters and already reflected as part of Huntington's population. That is not the case (as I am sure you are aware) in Morgantown. i.e. the actual figures for Huntington are much < 62,000 while those for Morgantown are also less than the figures you quoted, but not by nearly as much less.

West Virginia University - Campus Housing

College Portraits - Marshall University - Student Housing (http://www.collegeportraits.org/WV/MU/housing - broken link)

Of particular interest are the facts that not only is a much greater percentage of WVU students not of the commuting variety, the difference in the actual numbers of "full time" students is even more striking than the difference in enrollment. WVU had 25,000 full timers vs. 9,500 for Marshall. There is really no comparison. Marshall is actually much closer in size to Fairmont State than to WVU.

In addition, Morgantown is "full up" within the city limits for development and population growth. Huntington is not. Therefore, the main thrust of growth in Morgantown is actually in the peripheral areas just outside of town. That is not reflected in these statistics for obvious reasons.

I suspect you know that for some strange reason most Morgantown "commuter" students seem to choose to commute to Fairmont State. Personally, I could never understand that, but it seems to be the case. I guess it is their way of getting away from their family environment to some degree.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 12-20-2009 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-20-2009, 08:30 AM

540 posts, read 574,193 times
[quote=tbailey1138;12096839]Huntington is the only border city in the state that is the main city for not only the immediate area in WV but the surrounding states as well.

Huh? Isn't Wheeling the main city in the northern panhandle? Many eastern Ohioans work in Wheeling than the other way around.

Morgantown borders on Pennsylvania and many many people commute from the Waynesburg/Uniontown areas.

(On a personal note, quite a few people commute from Pennsylvania to work at the FBI center in Clarksburg too.)

Old 12-20-2009, 09:48 AM

[quote=tallydude02;12103648]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Huntington is the only border city in the state that is the main city for not only the immediate area in WV but the surrounding states as well.

Huh? Isn't Wheeling the main city in the northern panhandle? Many eastern Ohioans work in Wheeling than the other way around.

Morgantown borders on Pennsylvania and many many people commute from the Waynesburg/Uniontown areas.

(On a personal note, quite a few people commute from Pennsylvania to work at the FBI center in Clarksburg too.)
Of course you are right. The northern and eastern areas are all close to actual real urban metropolitan areas (they blend in with them in reality) and are in fact interactive with them culturally, financially, and population wise. The state lines are arbitrary in nature, and do not reflect the true makeup of the regions. The fact that they do separate those on the West Virginia side of them from the big cities themselves does, however, impact the appearance of population distribution within the state's political boundaries.

When you consider the fact that there are no large cities actually within West Virginia, one area seems pretty close to another in terms of those traits but that is not truly the case. The southern areas are pretty isolated from any real urban development (hours away by car in fact).

Old 12-20-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Nothing against Huntington, but I would always defer to Morgantown as it's closer to the recreational 'wilderness'.
Huntington is closer than you think to recreational wilderness as well. We tend to think of this only in WV terms but take a look at what is right across the river from us. The Wayne National forest is just over in Ohio with lots of hicking trails and outdoor opportnuities. Then over in Kentucky, we have Yatesville Lake, Greenbo Lake, Grayson Lake and Carter Caves all very close by. And in WV, White Water is just a straight drive down I-64 as is some skiing. Beech Fork, Cabwaylingo, Kanawha Falls and Hawks nest are all very close as well.

Home Page - WV State Parks and Forest

http://parks.ky.gov/default.htm (broken link)

Wayne National Forest - Home/

Old 12-20-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post

I wasn't just referring to work offerings. If you would ask the people over in Pennsylvania around Wheeling and Morgantown what the closest major city was and where they went for most of their entertainment and shopping options, they would likely tell you Pittsburgh. And also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the main mall in the Wheeling area over in St. Clairsville, OH?

Huntington provides the major work, entertainment and shopping options for the people across the river in OH and KY. That's mainly the demographics of what I was referring to in that statement and thus why I said Huntington was a little more independent from that standpoint. It was not intended as a knock on any other area, just more of an observation.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:38 PM

Whitewater? Yeah, I guess if you call an hour and a half to two hours close by it is. And the wilderness is just out the back door when you are in Morgantown. Most anyone will tell you that is one of its great attractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia