U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,420 times
Default Martinsburg: DC exurb?

I'm thinking about moving to the D.C. metro area or one of its exurbs.

I was looking at Martinsburg, WV as a possible place to live.

How does it compare to the DC suburbs? I know it is farther out, but is it something like what I've heard Loudoun County or Ashburn, VA is?

Is it pretty classy? Are there a lot of professionals who live there and take the commute to DC or its closer suburbs?

Just looking at home prices, I see a huge difference, but was wondering about quality.

How are the schools there?

Does it have any local culture (arts, etc) or does everyone go to DC? Does Martinsburg compare to a place like Reston, Ashburn, or Sterling for local amenities (shopping, restaurants, etc)?

I looked at Winchester, VA, but have already heard enough bad things about it to steer clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 05:15 PM

353 posts, read 524,146 times
you were doing well until you got to that "classy" part ....... i'd say alot of professionals who got married, had kids, wanted affordable houses and moved away from DC. yes - alot of folks in this portion of west virginia make the trek into northern va and DC for work. no - martinsburg doesn't compare to reston, cashburn or sterling for local amenities, but it also doesn't compare with house prices and day to day stress level.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:22 PM

404 posts, read 569,824 times
If you're working in the DC area, I would encourage you to move as close to your job as you can afford. If you're not taking a train, coming in from martinsburg every day to anywhere further east than leesburg would become unbearable pretty quickly.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:18 PM

7,570 posts, read 3,929,890 times
I commuted from Martinsburg to Reston for a few years and then to DC for a year and a half and could only manage it 3 days a week. 5 was just too much, so I worked from home 2 days a week. Now I am contracting freelance full time from home.

Martinsburg is not classy, has no culture (unless you count chain restaurants) and doesn't even have a decent mall. Downtown has lots of boarded up stores, bums and even a streetwalker or two.

Still I like it out here because it's rural and pretty, inexpensive and friendly. For fun I go to Shepherdstown (8 miles away) which has quite good restaurants, bars, live theatre, and a cool movie house that shows indy films.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:58 PM

380 posts, read 633,864 times
Or like Zentropa says, rather than move to Martinsburg and go to Shepherdstown for fun, move to the Shepherdstown area have fun where you live and catch the MARC from Duffields to head into work.
It really depends on the type of property you are looking for. Martinsburg has good and bad. It is not really 'classy' and there isn't a large group of professionals commuting to DC.
You will find though that WV, either Berkeley or Jefferson County, is much cheaper than MD and some cheaper than VA.
Post what you are looking for in a neighborhood and your price range for housing and maybe we can be more specific.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:50 PM

4,100 posts, read 6,790,745 times
Heck, when I commuted from Leetown WV to Frederick Md it was bad enough.

Move in towards the Beltway if you want 'Reston' class. If you want to live a normal life- move to Berkeley and find another job closer, lol.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:41 AM

559 posts, read 789,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsullivan View Post
Or like Zentropa says, rather than move to Martinsburg and go to Shepherdstown for fun, move to the Shepherdstown area have fun where you live and catch the MARC from Duffields to head into work.
It really depends on the type of property you are looking for. Martinsburg has good and bad. It is not really 'classy' and there isn't a large group of professionals commuting to DC.
You will find though that WV, either Berkeley or Jefferson County, is much cheaper than MD and some cheaper than VA.
Post what you are looking for in a neighborhood and your price range for housing and maybe we can be more specific.
This pretty much sums it up. It just depends on what you are looking for. Like Clintsullivan said, post what your looking for housing and price wise and we can reccomend some areas. As far as schools go, it's sort of a toss-up. Hedgesville and Musselman high schools are located in more rural areas, so you may find you might like that better. However, Martinsburg High School is more of a "urban" atmosphere because it is located in downtown Martinsburg. I'm not saying this makes MHS any worse or better than the other two schools, but it is something to consider.

Like I said before, just let us know your price range, and well see what we can do for you. Thank You!!! -mmccul

Old 12-20-2009, 08:47 AM

539 posts, read 572,014 times
According to the Census Bureau, Martinsburg is more closely tied to Hagerstown, MD. Martinsburg is included with Hagerstown's urbanized and commuting area. I'm sure there are commuters to DC though, but I sure wouldn't want to do it!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:22 AM

1,576 posts, read 1,787,474 times
Doesn't Martinsbug have a commuter train leaving and arriving daily?

Old 12-20-2009, 11:33 AM

6,260 posts, read 4,441,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Doesn't Martinsbug have a commuter train leaving and arriving daily?
They do, and it stops in a couple other West Virginia towns too I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia