Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:48 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Byrd announces $328M building for Clarksburg - WVVA TV Bluefield Beckley WV News, Weather and Sports

Hundreds of millions of dollars in construction, and nearly 2,000 more jobs to come to Clarksburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 06:11 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
That's big news! I may have to look into this a little closer.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:06 AM

938 posts, read 2,898,289 times
Quote:
Sen. Robert C. Byrd says the FBI and Department of Defense are planning a $328 million center for using technology to identify potential terrorists in Clarksburg.
Wow, I didn't know there were so many terrorists in Clarksburg that it necessitated a $328 million center dedicated to identifying them.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:40 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Quote:
Byrd says the FBI plans to move biometrics employees from satellite offices in Fairmont to the new building, which will be able to hold almost 2,000 employees.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't this hurt Fairmont? Based on this and another article, few if any new jobs are actually being created, they are just shifting jobs at various offices in Fairmont to one facility in Clarksburg.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:21 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
The FBI workers migrate from the CJIS center at Bridgeport to the Fairmont facility about every 6 months.
I don't see them giving up that 40,000 sq ft of floorspace in Fairmont any time soon.

If they do, other goverment agencies stand ready to use that space.

The problem has been to find qualified people for their jobs..they are very selective with the White Collar Crime Task force.
Who is perfect...an ex-banker/auditor who is a computer hacker in their spare time and is about 35 years old.
How do you find 1,000 of these people?...for one thing, they do not exist in great numbers.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't this hurt Fairmont? Based on this and another article, few if any new jobs are actually being created, they are just shifting jobs at various offices in Fairmont to one facility in Clarksburg.
I suppose it will have an adverse effect on downtown Fairmont. But, in reality Fairmont is becoming a big bedroom community for Morgantown and Clarksburg in any event. Overall, it will just be changing the character of the town. The way things are going, I would expect that growth will take place residential wise in the areas between the towns over time.

If you read between the lines, I think the impetus will be in the research end and will involve even more interaction between WVU and the FBI research folks. Couple the new facilities with new initiatives in biometrics at WVU and the potential is definitely there. If Marshall were to work on developing a more cooperative arrangement with WVU in the area, I could see a place for their involvement in the DNA areas as well, since that is apparently their strength. Unfortunately, the preference seems to be for being confrontational. Maybe that's just my impression?

Old 12-19-2009, 02:32 AM

The new building is going on outside the Fairmont City limits.

Fairmont proper is falling apart because its buildings were built on sand.

The area of activity is White Hall but the people still refer to it as Fairmont.

Their big joke is the Moneyhand connector...moneys should have been spent in Morgantown, but it will be a lasting ironic memorial to the graft and politic that reeks in Wv.
It's very fitting to have that road to 'nowhere in The Friendly City...ha ha ha

Old 12-19-2009, 11:14 AM

I think one thing on which we can all agree (including Tim)
is that in spite of the fact that Byrd's pork barreling is
ludicrous, the whole state has garnered some benefits from
it. That said, next to Chicago, New Jersey, Connecticut,
DC, and New York City we have perhaps the worst political
climate in the Nation. In few other places are there gathered
a bigger collection of moronic bozos who hold elected office.

In the final analysis, we'd be ahead to vote every incumbant
out of office and start from scratch.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:17 PM

Mike Oliverio looks like the new guy to unseat questionable Congressman Moneyhand...

Hope we can find the right guy/gal to take Rockey's place...he's next.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:20 PM

Agreed! That elitist character has totally lost touch with
the population he represents. He marches to his own
drummer, and believe me most of us do not understand
the beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia