Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 12:10 AM

18 posts, read 8,837 times

Advertisements

I knew he wouldn't let us all down on the health-care bill vote.

Boo, Senator Coburn! Wishing ill on the venerable Senator from WV!

Boo the Senate in general for making a 92 year old man go out in this weather.

But he came through for us. I'm sure he had the West Virginians interests at heart, giving him strength.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:08 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Boo to Sen Coburn indeed! I just checked out the story...
Is Senator Coburn ‘wishing misfortune’ on other lawmakers? | Raw Story (http://rawstory.com/2009/12/senator-coburn-wishing-misfortune-lawmakers/ - broken link)

Now everyone knows what he looks like if he should decide to drive through the wild and wonderful state. I've got a couple of nickel rolls I could put in my purse to beat him with. That's still lady like, isn't it?

Old 12-21-2009, 03:33 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Boo to Sen Coburn indeed! I just checked out the story...
Is Senator Coburn ‘wishing misfortune’ on other lawmakers? | Raw Story (http://rawstory.com/2009/12/senator-coburn-wishing-misfortune-lawmakers/ - broken link)

Now everyone knows what he looks like if he should decide to drive through the wild and wonderful state. I've got a couple of nickel rolls I could put in my purse to beat him with. That's still lady like, isn't it?
Yes, it would only be considered crass if it was a roll of quarters... lol

I'll keep a roll handy though.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:30 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,080 times
not to change the subject, but how and why does Byrd get elected year after year? What's his story?

Old 12-21-2009, 09:32 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
1. West Virginia has historically been a Democratic state (going back at least to the days of John L. Lewis). About 56% of WVians are registered as Democrats, vs 29% as Republicans. Source (http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=38627 - broken link). (The remainder are either Independents or members of minor parties.)

2. With few exceptions (Cecil Underwood, Arch Moore), Republicans have failed to field candidates that capture the interest of the voters.

3. Tip O'Neil, long time Congressman from Massachusetts, and Speaker of the House, once said, "All politics are local." A few years ago, Sen. Byrd gave up a high ranking position in the Senate to return to chairing a committee, so that he could more easily direct funds to the state. Visit any hamlet, town, or city in West Virginia, and you'll see the results.
Byrd Senior Citizens Center, Byrd Library, Byrd Bridge, Byrd Highway, Byrd Office Building. Byrd Gymnasium. Byrd School, etc.
Everyone hates pork, except when it's served on your plate as nice juicy bacon.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:55 AM

938 posts, read 2,898,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
not to change the subject, but how and why does Byrd get elected year after year? What's his story?
He brings us power. If he wasn't in office, I'm pretty certain WV would be roughly as well off as a third world country. WV deserves pork. All of our natural resources leave the state and we get jack in return thanks to a group of capitalists back in the 19th century that tricked and cheated the native population out of what was rightfully theirs. To do what they did back then would be illegal today. We should be rich as hell. I consider RCB a natural form of reparation. I figure 40 years of pork is a fair exchange for how well the Eastern coastal cities have exploited us.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:04 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
You know, I don't really know the stats on 'pork per capita', but I would venture to guess that WV isn't the 'King of Pork' as some would contend. Hell DC, although not a state, certainly receives a crap pile of benefit from the Federal cog.

What a really classy statement by Coburn. He's yet another fine example of why I left the Republican party (or better yet- a fine example of how the Republican party left me).

I hope Byrd last another 3 years, at least.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:14 AM

Ok, I'm basically a "Yinzer" from SWPA....I've only seen media accounts about Byrd and whatnot joking about his age. Avoiding the whole corrupt government thing...come visit PA if you want to see that in full swing...would you say that he's "good" and that people honestly like him? I'm just curious about his actual public perception. Just asking questions as I honestly know nothing about the details of this guy, no hidden jabs or agendas.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:16 AM

938 posts, read 2,898,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
Ok, I'm basically a "Yinzer" from SWPA....I've only seen media accounts about Byrd and whatnot joking about his age. Avoiding the whole corrupt government thing...come visit PA if you want to see that in full swing...would you say that he's "good" and that people honestly like him? I'm just curious about his actual public perception. Just asking questions as I honestly know nothing about the details of this guy, no hidden jabs or agendas.
I disagree with him on many, many issues. But deep down, I feel he is a good man and I think he votes with his conscious rather than political bias on national issues more than the average senator.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
I disagree with him on many, many issues. But deep down, I feel he is a good man and I think he votes with his conscious rather than political bias on national issues more than the average senator.
Ok, so he's "A bit behind the times and probably holding back progress, but also good at keeping things as they are and from getting worse. Overall, probably a good person just doing what he thinks is right for his state."?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia