U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 02:17 PM

784 posts, read 3,184,289 times

Advertisements

I love my long car trips into West Virginia. I think it is the most beautiful State in the eastern part of America. I have visited a few of the State Parks in the State but see from the map that WV had so many different parks.

What are the best State Parks in West Virginia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 02:44 PM

8 posts, read 18,088 times
Babcock with thr Grist Mill
Pipestem with the trim ride and golf course
Bluestone with the bluestone lake and the dam. And the worlds best hot dog from Dairy Queen. Also the 2nd oldest river in the world next to the Nile. New River and it flows north, which is rare.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:30 PM

74 posts, read 251,122 times
Here are my some of my favorites, in no particular order
Cathedral State Park
Blackwater Falls
Seneca Rocks
Dolly Sods
Cranberry Glades
Coopers Rock

Old 05-20-2007, 05:26 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,451,807 times
For peace and quiet, it's hard to beat Watoga. WV's oldest and largest state park, over 10,000 acres. About 30 CCC cabins and a couple of campgrounds, but no lodge, so it's never crowded. If you visit "out-of-season" (November thru March), it often feels like you have the park to yourself. Enough to do within reasonable driving distance (Cass Railroad, NRAO, Snowshoe, Cranberry Glades, Marlinton, Lewisburg, Pearl Buck's Birthplace, etc.).

A bit busier, especially during the summer, is Blackwater Falls, my 2nd favorite. It can get crowded around the falls on summer days, but away from the falls are a number of hiking trails, etc.

If you get a room on the Gorge side, the views at Hawks Nest are fantastic.

Least favorite: Twin Falls. Lots of "resort" things (golf, etc.) but not a lot of "park" things.

Snorpus

Old 05-20-2007, 11:10 PM

1,958 posts, read 3,768,064 times
Explore the Monongalia national. forest. Its headquatered in Elkins, right across from D&E Campus. Or try Canaan Valley Resort!

Old 05-21-2007, 12:36 AM

117 posts, read 18,432 times
Default Babcock

Babcock is easily the best! Twin Falls blows bigtime, you wouldnt think a place like that would be down in them thar hillz of Wyoming Co.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:54 AM

191 posts, read 557,509 times
Beartown Rocks Alongside Us Route 219 Is Probably The Smallest, Yet Most Beautiful.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:05 PM

117 posts, read 18,432 times
Default tunnel

I dont think its a state park but I think Paw Paw Tunnel is pretty neat. The further you go in, the darker it gets- take a date in there and scare the heck out of them, heck you could even Moderator cut: off topic/personal

Old 05-23-2007, 08:29 AM

3,101 posts, read 4,327,157 times
Agreed with Flipper. The Paw Paw tunnel is creepy and amazing at the same time. It is hard to believe it was dug out with mid-19th century tools and technology. It is located on the C&O Canal National Park in Allegany County, Maryland.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:41 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,007,902 times
Default WV State Parks

I travel often to WV to visit the state parks in WV. Watoga is always a favorite. The VA state parks are the worst in the nation. Pocahontas County, around Marlinton has a lot of outdoor tourist attractions, such as whitewater rafting, camping, hiking, the observatory. Cranberry Glades SP has venus fly trap plants and there are underground caves nearby(where people live). Marlinton has a "pioneer days" event once a year(I think in the fall). Its a great place to visit in the winter for skiing at Snowshoe. Its hard to find on a map and its in a very rural area, but for a city boy its quite a departure. Be careful on the narrow mountain roads and don't drive like the natives, and you'll be o.k.!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia