Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 10,088 times

Advertisements

I have been accepted at WVU in Morgantown and my husband has a job offer in Clarksburg. His job requires we live in the Clarksburg/Bridgeport area. We have to make a final decision on moving here in the next couple of days!

We have spent a week in Morgantown (originally thought we would be moving to the city). Now we are quickly trying to figure out this area. We are meeting with a realty agent tomorrow.

We are from Atlanta, GA and understand we are in for a culture shock and are excited about the pace SLOWING down. What we are having a hard time with is the whole housing market. I am undecided as to renting or buying. Can anyone from the area enlighten me to the housing market from a regular person (non-realty agent) basis.

The only people we know in the state are the people who are hiring my husband and my advisor at WVU. Last time we made such a major life decision, we moved to New Orleans and that turned out to be a bust in the short term 9we rented and only stayed 10 months). This time we are making a 4+ year commitment with my school.

thanks,
Janie (who is excite but very nervous and kind of scared at the moment)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 07:53 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,817 times
My advice would be to rent at first, month-to-month if you can get it, to give you time to get to know the area. If you buy, it's pretty hard to change your mind in a few months.

You should be able to find everything from Victorian homes in the older part of Clarksburg, to modern subdivisions, to houses in the country with big wide porches. Rent, then look around for something you really like.

Snorpus

Old 05-22-2007, 07:57 PM

117 posts, read 214,826 times
Default whats so different?

Clarksburg is very near like living in other states not as wv-ish as it should be so you shouldnt need help. I can hook you up with some dates in that region to get you started.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:06 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,990 times
Check out some homes in Brideport when you/if you decide to buy. Its only a 5-10 minute drive into downtown Clarksburg, yet is its own city. Smaller, mostly residential area. But yea, my advice for you would be to rent at first to get used to the area before you make a decision about where to live. Welcome to West Virginia. If you need anything, just ask. I'm decently familiar with the Brideport/Clarksburg areas

Old 05-25-2007, 03:17 AM

7 posts, read 38,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie_ga View Post
I have been accepted at WVU in Morgantown and my husband has a job offer in Clarksburg. His job requires we live in the Clarksburg/Bridgeport area. We have to make a final decision on moving here in the next couple of days!

We have spent a week in Morgantown (originally thought we would be moving to the city). Now we are quickly trying to figure out this area. We are meeting with a realty agent tomorrow.

We are from Atlanta, GA and understand we are in for a culture shock and are excited about the pace SLOWING down. What we are having a hard time with is the whole housing market. I am undecided as to renting or buying. Can anyone from the area enlighten me to the housing market from a regular person (non-realty agent) basis.

The only people we know in the state are the people who are hiring my husband and my advisor at WVU. Last time we made such a major life decision, we moved to New Orleans and that turned out to be a bust in the short term 9we rented and only stayed 10 months). This time we are making a 4+ year commitment with my school.

thanks,
Janie (who is excite but very nervous and kind of scared at the moment)
I moved from NYC to Clarksburg!! The Folks here are friendy--wave you into traffic {the OPPOSITE of NYC!}--United Hospital is here--10 minutes to Emily Drive {Walmart/Circuit CIty/Pet stores/All types of Dining/Lowe's/Sears--EVERY shopping need you could imagine!] Children here are respectful--innocent. NutterFort 5 minutes away--Schools/more shopping--all kinds/Park/Events Etc. Bridgeport--upper Class--10 minutes away--fancier shopping and dining----Several banks in Clarksburg/library/Kroger's--Food Lion in Nutter Fort/ People in Clarksburg very down to earth and real. I rent in one of the lower class neighbohoods--people here just buying cheaper homes and working very hard renovating them! My brother lives in very nice area--more trees--less people. He has been in Clarksburg for seven years now--He and his wife love it! Clarksburg sprawling---rent--and then decide if you prefer more in-town--or rural area. A lot of diverse neighborhoods to choose from. Let me know what else you would like to know about Clarksburg!

Last edited by KeepWVclean; 05-25-2007 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 05-28-2007, 09:02 PM

51 posts, read 173,215 times
Question Clarksburg a possibility?

Sigh...this is what I get for marrying a man with wanderlust LOL!

Where is the first place we would look to find something to rent? I couldn't find anything in the local paper for Clarksburg. Oops, maybe I should start at the beginning...

My husband and I have 5 kids combined--one of our own and 4 from my first marriage. He currently works for the State of NJ in the health care field and wants out of it. He is a "local boy", born and raised in South Jersey--I, on the other hand, grew up all over the US. My dad was in the Navy

We had considered areas like Rochester, NY (Western NY), southwest as in Arizona and then something about a piece of property caught his eye in West Virginia. We went through sites and such looking at areas, and he seems to be interested in the Clarksburg area. We would not be able to buy a home right away. The housing costs here in New Jersey are outrageous, amongst everything else...

So, tell me--with 5 kids (ages 17, 15, 14, 12 and 16 months), what are recomended neighborhoods? What do I look for?

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_tucker View Post
Sigh...this is what I get for marrying a man with wanderlust LOL!

Where is the first place we would look to find something to rent? I couldn't find anything in the local paper for Clarksburg. Oops, maybe I should start at the beginning...

My husband and I have 5 kids combined--one of our own and 4 from my first marriage. He currently works for the State of NJ in the health care field and wants out of it. He is a "local boy", born and raised in South Jersey--I, on the other hand, grew up all over the US. My dad was in the Navy

We had considered areas like Rochester, NY (Western NY), southwest as in Arizona and then something about a piece of property caught his eye in West Virginia. We went through sites and such looking at areas, and he seems to be interested in the Clarksburg area. We would not be able to buy a home right away. The housing costs here in New Jersey are outrageous, amongst everything else...

So, tell me--with 5 kids (ages 17, 15, 14, 12 and 16 months), what are recomended neighborhoods? What do I look for?

Thanks!
Hi Dear LOL I was born and raised in central New York State---then moved to NYC--lived? there for 25 years--now in WV--FINALLY! Rochester is COLD--in my opinion--New York State people--in general are cold as well! I think Jersey is not only expensive--but traveled that state more than any other--toxic waste everywhere. On the New York side--when driving on the highway--all you see it that one ugly tree everywhere!--sorry to call a tree ugly--but it is! And then--on the other side--you have the Pine Barrens--with--sorry again-- the ugliest pine tree possible--like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree!! You say that your husband has a job offer in Clarksburg---jobs hard to land these days---ask yourself if he could land as good of a job in Arizona. Have friends in Scottsdale--VERY expensive---but Arizona IS a great place to live. Beautiful!!--dry heat--but you got ot have a swimming pool for the kids--and CAC for yourself. If you have relatives or close friends there--think you would be very happy there--but job security is essential! How I got a place from NYC in WV was via the Clarksburg newpaper online--Found a house I like with big yard--offered Landlord six months rent in advance--that DID it! I LOVE WV!!!!!! Looking to buy a place out in the countryside now. Here you will find the hospitality of the South --without the rednecks of deep South!! How many bedrooms do you think you will need? The house right next door to me is for rent now--HUGE yard too! Don't be scared of WV---the FIRST day I got here I felt at home! People here genuine and truly care about neighbors. It's like one big happy family! Nowhere is perfect--but YES WV IS "Almost Heaven"!! Do you know how to locate the Clarksburg newspaper online? Took me about two months of keeping watch in newspaper before I found this place. Let me now how I can help you more! The only neighborhoods I would advise you to stay away from are downtown ones----like most of USA theses days--not much there--but they are trying to rejuvinate it. As I said before--I live in one of the poorest lower class ones--and have NO problems at all! Just a very afordable rent! $ 450.00 for a three bedroom house with large yard! I WAS paying $900.00 in NYC for a dive! If you are interested --I will ask the landlord of the house next door--it's very well insolated and has a full basement too. It's a quiet street--no traffic---friendly neighbors and he is asking $350 rent--three bedrooms. He is a retired teacher. Let me know.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:52 AM

7 posts, read 35,905 times
There are lovely old Victorian homes in Clarksburg. Ask for your realtor info about "quality hill" and Golf Plaza if you are interested in these. Property taxes are somewhat lower in Clarksburg, than Bridgeport....There are a lot of sub-divsions surrounding both Clarksburg and Bridgeport....If you are interested in Country living-"real country living"-check out Doddridge County. Be a longer commute to Mo-town. Bridgeport has some advantages in re. to children. Bridgeport would be a sightly better commute. You might also want to look at the Fairmont area...several developments off of the interstate 79...good compromise-halfway between Mo-town and C-burg....if you are interested in neighborhoods-c-burg, or b-port would be better recommendations.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:04 PM

Thumbs up GREAT ADVICE!!Hope Mama Tucker reads this!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
The very best kept secret in Harrison County is a very small town called Shinnston. Only 2300 people and a perfection of rural small town America. Everything big is about 10 minutes away. Shopping, recreation and work. Inside its city limits lies a 64 acre gated communtiy called Riverdale Estates. Level, wooded landscape with a private access to the West Virginia Rails to Trails and the West Fork River. The residents share their yards with the with deer, squirrel and other common wildlife. It is the most pristine park like
sub-division in North Central West Virginia. Its website is RiverdaleEstateswv.com...look for yourself.
Hey David-- I did send Mama Tucker the very same advice!--e-mailed her a house/link for sale in Shinnston as well! Told her just what you said--that Shinnston would be best bet in Clarksburg area--having been looking for a home to buy myself for the past six weeeks--did indeed notice the nice yards/super friendly folks/near everything--but "true WV!! country"!! THX for the post--and the web site--will check into it!!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,552 times
I need help to please. I would be working in Fairmont itself, My wife and I need to rent a 3 bedroom house with 2.5 baths. Unfortunately as someone previously mentioned there is precious little in the way of home rental information. Does anyone have a real estate company in the area that may be of use to us please??????

Thanks KeithD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia