U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 03:39 PM

4,714 posts, read 11,971,898 times

Advertisements

I watched the CNN live broadcast of the Governors Conference today right up until it became a Dog & Pony Show for childhood obesity and the pending health care fiasco.

I was appreciative of the General Chairman from Vermont for giving us the low down in his introductory remarks...if he had not done that the conference would have had no real meaning...

Mr. Manchin is there for several reasons...
to groom him for his future Presidental run...
the fact that West Virginia has a great stake in the future government of the country and last of all, because it is pretty solvent.
(It would not do to have the Gov's of the 5 bankrupt states in the limelight at this time.

As the Obama Fiscal Fiasco slides down the pipeline to the states...major-major adjustments must be made...

We may be lucky in the fact that Gov. Joe is a very conservative fellow..
He knows the stakes of the coal industry who have put him in office and what it will take to keep Wv afloat. Thank God he is a businessman!!!!!

I am going out on a limb and saying that when 'push comes to shove...he may just tell Obama to stick it! I think he may be loyal to Wv...his family have always said they were...

Obama will be gone when these states repair the (w)reckoning for the 'train wreck that is called the National Economy.

Get some vegetable seeds, onion sets and potatoes for the spring...you may want to eat after you pay your electric, water/sewage, gas bills and taxes.

It's like the Gov. from Vermont said.."You ain't seen nothing yet!"

'God bless America and God bless the great state of West Virginia'
(saw that on a tombstone in Farmington last week)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 12:40 PM

68 posts, read 167,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
I am going out on a limb and saying that when 'push comes to shove...he may just tell Obama to stick it! I think he may be loyal to Wv...his family have always said they were...
Double-check . . was he one of the WV delegates prior to the primary who pledged his vote to Obama regardless of the voters? I do remember his response in the newspaper then regarding Obama was, "He's got it!" The only thing worse than his being a cheerleader for political correctness, was the people bobbing their head in agreement, "He's got it!"

Yay!

Another usurping of State sovereignty by The Federal Government is noted in the recent Council of Governors :
President Obama Signs Executive Order Establishing Council of Governors | The White House

Random links :
Council of Governors Nominees Named Soldier For Liberty
President Obama Signs Executive Order Establishing Council of Governors

West Virginia Constitution
http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/WV_CON.cfm
Article 1.1
The state of West Virginia is, and shall remain, one of the United States of America. The constitution of the United States of America, and the laws and treaties made in pursuance thereof, shall be the supreme law of the land.
Article 1.2
The government of the United States is a government of enumerated powers, and all powers not delegated to it, nor inhibited to the states, are reserved to the states or to the people thereof. Among the powers so reserved to the states is the exclusive regulation of their own internal government and police; and it is the high and solemn duty of the several departments of government, created by this constitution, to guard and protect the people of this state from all encroachments upon the rights so reserved.

Article 2.2
The powers of government reside in all the citizens of the state, and can be rightfully exercised only in accordance with their will and appointment.

Etc.

I'm not a lawyer, so it always makes me cranky to have to read law . . but a glance, Barack Hussein Obama, a/k/a Barry Soetoro, a/k/a Barry Dunham, signing this illegal executive order, is not only attempting to trump State sovereignty, but all in cooperation with him, are doing so to the dissolution of The Constitution of the United States of America, which makes them -- enemies of this country. And with regards to respective State constitutions, for example . . West Virginia, this cooperation makes them enemies of the State.

You might check with the Governor on his position of waiving State sovereignty to The Federal Government, before getting on board with him.

Last edited by wv.artistry; 02-21-2010 at 12:51 PM..

Old 02-21-2010, 03:06 PM

If I remember correctly, in the last legislative session our delegates placed a document into law to the effect of state soverenty and the limitation of powers by the federal government.

As several states go belly up and their citizens ask for answers ,more than a hot-bed of opinion will be formed...they will want action and be serious about it.

Mr. Manchin has plans for the future and wants to be the darling boy of the Demo party...thing is...That party may be over and not able to field a President for decades.

His money is tied to coal mining and electrical power generation...if it goes down the drain, so does his fortunes..

His best interest just might be our own best interest...keeping coal alive until the nuke plants can be built. (Last term, our delegates paved the way for that to happen in Wv..Allegheny Power's buy out two weeks ago was to a large Akron, Ohio company who can do the nuke facilities in Wv...

the catch will be getting the permits and Mr. Obama may hold that carrot in the wind to get the coal industry deep-sixed by one of their own...guess who???...

Politics creates strange bedfellows...but one thing is sure about it...
They get in bed with whoever has the money...

What polititican was it who said ???...'What I'm telling you is not exactly what I'm telling you..."

God bless America and God Bless the Great State of West Virginia...

Old 02-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Status: "Hey I thought this was the train to Margaritaville?" (set 1 day ago)

11,880 posts, read 15,537,386 times
How does this usurp the states sovereign rights? Am I missing something?

It looks like they're trying to ensure coordination of state and federal agencies in times of attack, disaster and that sort of thing.

Not saying it would be effective, lol, but then again after the Katrina fiasco maybe it's welcome? Hell, I for one would love to see state governers being involved in the application of federal assets. Why would we NOT want them in the loop?

Last edited by Threerun; 02-22-2010 at 10:21 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 12:26 PM

68 posts, read 167,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
It looks like they're trying to ensure coordination of state and federal agencies in times of attack, disaster and that sort of thing.
Yes . . it looks like, and if there was trust, I would agree, entirely. Contingency planning is common sense.

However, the ongoing shenanigans to Federalize State law enforcement and militia via Governors, should be cause for concern. There is a lack of trust (at least on my part, and about 67% of this country), because The Federal Government is aiming its weaponry and law at the citizen. If history has one truth, tyranny feeds on its own.

Random link :
My Way News - Homeland chief: Domestic extremism is top concern

Again, it looks like . . but this is the same Federal Government covering up Department of Justice appointees who formerly represented terrorists? The same Department of Homeland Security that views veterans (and the outspoken) as potential domestic extremists? The same Federal Government that is allowing known terrorists to enter this country? Add a very long list of etc's.

We entrust a great responsibility to a Governor . . and we had better be sure that he (or she) does represent our interests. The Federal Government pointing guns at citizens under the ruse of a national emergency, is when you really need a State (via a Governor) to tell The Federal Government to go **** itself. Since I haven't heard the Governor's opinion one way or another on Federalizing State law enforcement and militia, all I suggested to DK was, to find out.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:32 PM

Answer:

By loading the states with debt, unfunded mandates and schemes that cannot be paid for...

Case in point...destroy the coal industry (1/2 the state budget and important money to coal producing counties) and who pays the bills...

looks pretty simple from my seat...the states are coming together to strengthen positions and solve the future problems that will come from DC...

As for Representation, the WH shill said it today..."the states have their Senators and Congressional Representatives and they should vote for our agendas....that is the only choice they will get...Demo or Rebub."

With federal gridlock as it is...the mantle of action falls to the states where the governors actually see and meet (can't avoid) the people (voters)..the governors are not in the federal loop, nor are they wanted...they are 'tea baggin' the situation and I'm glad they are at least taking an interest...

Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM

How do we infer the federal gov't will pointing guns at us? What am I missing here?

This sounds A LOT like the rampant paranoia that went on during the Clinton administration with the broad assertion that he was pushing for some 'New World Order' with NATO forces being stationed on U.S. soil.. I drank that kool-aid for a while until it really started getting goofy. Assertions based on no facts, just pure blinded hatred for the opposition party. It's this very thing that made me distance myself from several shooting clubs when they quite frankly went over the edge.

And it's like dejavu all over again.

I guess I don't read anything more into this WH 'law' other than what it says. It certainly holds no graver threat to essential liberties as say the Patriot Act.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Answer:

By loading the states with debt, unfunded mandates and schemes that cannot be paid for...

Case in point...destroy the coal industry (1/2 the state budget and important money to coal producing counties) and who pays the bills...

looks pretty simple from my seat...the states are coming together to strengthen positions and solve the future problems that will come from DC...

As for Representation, the WH shill said it today..."the states have their Senators and Congressional Representatives and they should vote for our agendas....that is the only choice they will get...Demo or Rebub."

With federal gridlock as it is...the mantle of action falls to the states where the governors actually see and meet (can't avoid) the people (voters)..the governors are not in the federal loop, nor are they wanted...they are 'tea baggin' the situation and I'm glad they are at least taking an interest...
I still don't see how this relates to that.

In any event, unfunded mandates are a totally seperate issue, and both parties (no ALL parties) need to get a handle on costly mandates that are passed onto the states. Same as the budget, same as getting some teeth into the banking and securities regs, doing away with NCLB, etc, and etc..

Old 02-22-2010, 02:33 PM

Nixon was into severe regulation and we paid for it...

Government cannot govern...who would ever think they could operate a business?

Could we just use the law and trade some of the wall street criminals for the losers who clog our prisons?

Justice Department? ha ha ha...

America is being conned...biggest money heist in history...I'll bet the mob god fathers are hooting all the way to Cancun in their private jets...lol

Old 02-22-2010, 03:04 PM

So is that don't regulate banking and securities?
Hell I'm a banker by trade and even I see the need to put some restrictions and dividers up. Ain't want no stinkin' CDO's no mo!

It's funny, most of the regulators I know do their jobs with a great deal of dilligence. However in the sub-prime debacle, they weren't able to...

But I digress. Yes- Wall Street, some banks, some debtors and some lawmakers should go to jail. They can all share a cell. *snap!* We can put them in locked down sub-prime foreclosures in Detroit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia