U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-01-2010, 11:39 PM

566 posts, read 1,004,487 times

Advertisements

Jobless rate climbs above 10 percent - NewsandSentinel.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Parkersburg News and Sentinel

Quote:
PARKERSBURG - Although local unemployment rates have not been announced, those for West Virginia rose above 10 percent in January.
Workforce West Virginia announced Monday that the state's unemployment rates jumped by nearly 2 percent from December's rates to 10.5 percent.
.... more at the link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 03:19 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,736,017 times
The seasonal workers who are hired in October to fill the Christmas demand are let go in January..as the weather breaks, construction will pick up due to storm damage and new building.

Things are good in Wv...

I listened to a crazy old codger this past weekend tell us how 'Nothing was going to happen in Wv..what a hoot.
I asked him about the new hospital that will need about 4,000 people to staff it and the several other huge buildings going in nearby...
He broke off our conversation and walked away, dumbfounded...Certainly a victim of 'Brainlock.

During that same afternoon, I spoke with 2 people who had arrived from out of state to work here...they were happy about that, too have a good paying job and the opportunity to be in a safe place.

Wv must be a secret to outsiders...lol

Old 03-02-2010, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 870 times
i am a avon rep here in west virginia. i am always looking to hire new recruits. check out my website at youravon.com/kellybridges

Old 03-03-2010, 10:17 AM

566 posts, read 1,004,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post

Things are good in Wv...
Not to be contrary, but that reminds me of a former President telling us the national economy was healthy, right when things began slowing down. My area seemed to be the canary in the coal mine, the plants closed here first.

There are always seasonal fluctuations, and always construction start-ups, somewhere, coming out of winter. In the article, Keith Burdette states that businesses are inquiring.

The numbers don't lie about the state of the job market, except where under-reporting the unemployment rate is concerned.

While not dealing solely with unemployment, here's an interesting quote from an article reposted from wvgazette.com.

http://www.hurherald.com/cgi-bin/db_...erald&id=38677
JULIAN MARTIN: WV'S PROBLEM IS OVERPOPULATION

Quote:
Around the year 1900, people were brought into West Virginia from the south and from Europe to mine coal. They stayed and reproduced, and the jobs declined as the population increased. With the cooperation of the union, the mines were mechanized and then mechanized again, accounting for a huge job loss. The population that was in West Virginia in 1880, when the horrendous scale of environmental destruction started, is about all this state can handle without eating the mountains like tent caterpillars on a wild cherry tree.

Last edited by Two-Rivers; 03-03-2010 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Editing

Old 03-03-2010, 01:57 PM

4,715 posts, read 8,736,017 times
To add a comment...

Wv had lost a lot of soldiers in the Civil War...and the farmers, per se, would not leave the livelihood of their farms to work for the mine slave owners...
Blacks were brought out of the South and refugees from Europe were rounded up on the docks of New York City to work as slaves in the West Virginia coal mines.

A great work has been done here in Wv in the past 20 years to provide good jobs... Good paying jobs in several sectors...and some still horribly lacking (teaching for one).

It is not necessary to leave the state for good employment..it can be found here...a safe place to raise families and walk in the evenings without fear of being molested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia