Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:19 AM

6 posts, read 22,259 times

Advertisements

Hello, We know that there are lots of smart people out there who read these post, we need your help. My husband and i are trying to find information on microclimates in the U.S. I read about a couple who talked about using maps to find these climates before deciding where to retire. Only what map? Where do you find them? We have googled and have found nothing that makes sense. We hope you all can help us figure out where to look, we will be happy to do the work , just don't know the direction to look in. Thanks for any and all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 08:25 AM

566 posts, read 1,578,328 times
Look at Beckley and Elkins, WV.

The city of Beckley used to serve free lemonade if summer temps went above a certain level, they may still be doing it. 80 degrees? I'm sure someone can confirm.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:53 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
The city of Beckley used to serve free lemonade if summer temps went above a certain level, they may still be doing it. 80 degrees? I'm sure someone can confirm.
I think it's 90, 2-R.

Any of the higher elevations in Tucker, Randolph, or Pocahontas counties might be considered micro-climates (where the weather generally is different from what you would expect for that longitude and latitude). Dolly Sods and the Cranberry Glades are both said to support flora and fauna more typical of northern Canada than of the Middle Atlantic.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Spruce Knob Area...right on Snorpus. Also the high desert area of Pendelton County.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 AM

566 posts, read 1,578,328 times
Spruce Knob and Dolly Sods for sure.

In the valley below both, I saw light drizzle and temps in the 50s. Half way up each mountain, it began to snow, on top it was a full-on blizzard.

90 degrees does make more sense for Beckley, snorpus.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:04 AM

967 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Hmmm, maybe a temperature based chart for a particular area you're looking at? Something like this?? West Virginia Climate | Picture of West Virginia Climate Map | World Book Encyclopedia (http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?content_spotlight/climates/north_american_climate_we_virginia - broken link)

Old 03-03-2010, 11:13 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,237 times
What kind of microclimate are you looking to live in?

A lot of factors play a part in creating microclimates like the elevation, topography, amount of vegetation (or lack of), proximity to large water bodies, even the type of soil.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:12 PM

Smile thanks so much

Hinton Bound and 7th Direction thank you both for your good responses. The link was great, H.B. , just what we were trying to find. We did not grow up with computers and sometimes feel so stupid trying to get to info we know is there but can't think what to type in to reach it. Did not think about encyclopedia being on web! Old dogs learning new tricks. 7th direction , yes we realize all those things play key roles in climate but where can you find maps that tell info or is there not such a thing out there. Since there seems to be info to the nth degree out there, we assumed there would be maps of each state or county showing zones and temps. We really thank you for your time and responses

Old 03-03-2010, 02:22 PM

Smile What we are looking for

We have been thinking of moving to WestbyGodVirginia and have been reading the posts and many threads for about a year now. Have been a little concerned about what seems to be a lack of sunny days. We both grew up at the beach and NEED our sunny days if we are to be lived with for any lenght of time! So we thought there would be info, and we have found some on this forum and from weather service but wondered if micrclimates exist in WV and how to find them. We think it is so beautiful and peaceful there but don't want to kill each other after the eighth rainy day in a row!

Old 03-04-2010, 02:00 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
Look at Beckley and Elkins, WV.

I thought it was 90 degrees, and Bluefield was the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia