U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:18 AM

57 posts, read 142,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfreeman5 View Post
I moved to Martinsburg, WV from a beach community down south and I think people are the same just about anywhere you go - some are friendly - some are not. The major problem I have had with Martinsburg is talking with customer service employees over the phone. When you call a business (not all but many) or somewhere like the school board for information they speak to you like you have four heads. Also I've noticed at the food lion by the post office - I can't get the people who work there to make eye contact with me - even when I'm asking them a question. What's up with that?
They are probably afraid of you out-of-towners! They can tell you 'aint from these parts are ya'..LOL How did you speak to them?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 01:28 PM

33 posts, read 29,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygrl707 View Post
I have noticed that people in my neighborhood doesnt speak or say good morning anymore. What ever happened to friendly people?? I go into the grocery store and your lucky to get a hello most people are down right rude. I understand people want there own space and want to enjoy there family what ever happend to being pleasant?????? Is this just chicago or are the people in west virgina the same.
There's people in WV ???

Old 04-20-2008, 06:27 PM

5 posts, read 9,482 times
i was born and raised in wv, several years ago i moved to wisconcin. i hated it! people were rude. if you were broke down on the side of the road, your so called friends would have drove right on by. i moved back here when i was expecting my twins. people watch out for the neighbors, and help without you even asking. we are a community that treats you like family. we will go out of our way to help, just be friendly and say thanks that is all we ask for. we are all here together, guess together we will be alright. the slower pace is great. chicago,dont get me wrong, but seems like everyone is a hurry to go no where. slow down,enjoy the sunset. have you ever woke up one morning and just be glad you were live,watched the deer and rabbits eating in the front yard and listened to the birds sing, with no noise in the background. it is a great way of life. good luck chicago!

Old 05-10-2008, 12:59 PM

9 posts, read 33,033 times
I think dealing with unfriendly people is mostly a sign of the times. But sometimes they are just waiting for you to make the first friendlty move.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:37 AM

10 posts, read 24,233 times
Default Unfriendly people

Quote:
I have noticed that people in my neighborhood doesnt speak or say good morning anymore. What ever happened to friendly people?? I go into the grocery store and your lucky to get a hello most people are down right rude. I understand people want there own space and want to enjoy there family what ever happend to being pleasant?????? Is this just chicago or are the people in west virgina the same.
No good manners haven't ran out of style! They have just read too many Ambercrombie and Fitch t-shirts. My maiden name was Fitch and I was born in Welch, WVA. And they ticked me off enough that I wrote and told them I didn't appreciate the continued slurs they made. Don't know if they even cared...but it made me feel better!

Old 06-20-2008, 05:56 PM

305 posts, read 921,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash2417 View Post
Well... Heres my two cents... If you don't like the state, don't like the people, have negative things to say about WV & the People... THEN GET OUT AND KEEP YOUR MOUTHS SHUT... just thought i'd throw that out there because I cant stand when people talk bad about the state or the people of WV... I have lived here all my life and have loved every minute of it... It's a great place... and truthfully I hate move in's from the city because they tear our farm land up and our 4wheeling land where we dont have any place to go and get away from everything! If you have a problem with us just stay the heck out and don't run your mouths about us! Sorry if im sounding hateful but its just the way i feel about reading alot of negative posts about WV

Dont get your shorts in a bundle. Whos to say you dont go into other forums and bash people from other states?A little self righteous are we? Please!!!!

Old 06-20-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
And my two cents... You're from Mississippi for godsake... Why do you think you're so much better than someone from WV. I would probably say you get looks from people because its your abrasive attitude and aura and people just notice it. I'm sorry but the days of WV being complete country bumpkins are over, we have some, but every state does; including New York and California. WV has many great things to offer people, there are many professionals, a great myriad of recreational oppourtunities, and a slower pace of life where in general people will meet you with a smile. I think I speak for the whole state in wishing "WILDERNESS" a speedy move and wish you the best of luck criticizing the people of the next state you move too!

Well I wouldnt mind being a country bumpkin. Do all the people in these forums need a little sense of humor?

Old 06-20-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
my parents live in bluefield currently and this year illinois has seen more snow then wv. Thats a questions i was going to ask how are there winters. Im not a snow person yet i live in illinois and at times where covered by it. This is my parents first winter back in wv , the spring time there was beautiful.

You havent see snow until you have been to the midwest. You have to be tough as toenails to live their.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:21 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,547,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeen2008 View Post
Dont get your shorts in a bundle. Whos to say you dont go into other forums and bash people from other states?A little self righteous are we? Please!!!!
Similar to what you're doing? I've never started bashing anyone or any state, but I will not tolorate anyone bashing WV. PLEASE!!! lose the attitude.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:12 PM

19 posts, read 120,779 times
What about Bluefield? Do you find the people to be friendly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia