U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-14-2009, 06:55 PM

10 posts, read 16,791 times
Very...that is where my oldest son was born...he's a police officer in Raleigh, NC. I have an Aunt, Uncle, and lots of cousins there and in the Princeton area. Princeton has a very good Hospital also. Great Doctors in the area and a number 1 Veterans Hosp in Beckley...right up I-77.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-15-2009, 07:56 PM

22 posts, read 43,494 times
I had an occaision of needing help with my broken down car one night about 11:30pm on a lonely road and when I saw a light in the distance, I was first afraid to go up the hill to ask to use the phone. When I knocked on his door, I hears babies crying and could see through the cracks of the house. A giant of a man asked if he could help me and I told him I was against the guard rail where I ran too fast on the coal dust. He told his wife to heat up some coffee and we'd be back in a few minutes.
This man put his ragged jacket on and went with me down the steep hill and with his help , we wedged my car off the guard rail. He asked me to go back up and have some coffee and biscuits and I was a little afraid to but I was a little afraid NOT to. Any how, I got real warm off two cups of coffee and two of the best biscuits I ever ate and shook hands and we were forever friends. By the way, he had no phone.
I truely believe that there are many in WV that would give you the shirt (or blouse) off their backs ifyou really needed it.

Last edited by Milspec; 01-15-2009 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: correcting spelling

Unread 01-15-2009, 09:33 PM

49 posts, read 98,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milspec View Post
I had an occaision of needing help with my broken down car one night about 11:30pm on a lonely road and when I saw a light in the distance, I was first afraid to go up the hill to ask to use the phone. When I knocked on his door, I hears babies crying and could see through the cracks of the house. A giant of a man asked if he could help me and I told him I was against the guard rail where I ran too fast on the coal dust. He told his wife to heat up some coffee and we'd be back in a few minutes.
This man put his ragged jacket on and went with me down the steep hill and with his help , we wedged my car off the guard rail. He asked me to go back up and have some coffee and biscuits and I was a little afraid to but I was a little afraid NOT to. Any how, I got real warm off two cups of coffee and two of the best biscuits I ever ate and shook hands and we were forever friends. By the way, he had no phone.
I truely believe that there are many in WV that would give you the shirt (or blouse) off their backs ifyou really needed it.

Good thing it didn't end up like that movie Wrong Turn.

I don't mean to sound offensive, but most people would be afraid of you too. This guy was probably packing a huge shot gun some place close. The truth is, they're probably more afraid to leave you stuck on the road, that means you'll be out there lurking around some place. Actually helping you and getting you on you're way, is being quite protecting of their neighborhood, not that they didn't treat you nicely, just saying.

Unread 01-16-2009, 08:50 AM

223 posts, read 664,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milspec View Post
You're absolutely right. Having experienced the kindness of the people myself, I can say that I agree with you. I've come across nothing but kind people who are willing to go out of their way to help you, even if you never asked for it, they just offer. Of course there are mean people anywhere you go, including here in WV, I've just been fortunate in not having to really experience that. I had one lady at a BBQ teach me how to roast a hot dog over an open fire, lol. Never did that before, lol!

Unread 01-16-2009, 10:27 AM

13,004 posts, read 677,551 times
Have any of you even been to the Eastern Panhandle of WV: Elkins, Keyser, Romney, or Martinsburg??? It seems like everyone on the WV threads talk about Charleston and Huntington.

Unread 01-16-2009, 02:19 PM

3,105 posts, read 4,356,446 times
Wait a minute, I do a lot of talking about Canaan Valley (??? Part of Eastern Panhandle???) and there are lots of posts about Martinsburg but guess we talk more about where we live.

Which BTW, speaking of Keyser and thus Mineral County, Miss WV is from Short Gap. Name is Kayla Lynam.

There's a short series on TLC called Miss America Reality Check. Check it out to see Kayla. It's on tonight at ??10pm I think ??. Has been one for 2 weeks and I think there is 1 more show after tonight's.

I went to the WV pageant (long story) and Kayla was a stand out. She has the looks, smarts, talent, etc. to really be a contender for the crown. The only thing that may hinder her is her lack of pageant experience.

Congratulations Kayla! Miss West Virginia 2008 | Eastern Panhandle Scholarship Organization
Home ‚€Ž(Miss West Virginia‚€Ž)
Miss West Virginia Scholarship Organization & Pageant - Home

Unread 01-16-2009, 02:24 PM

2,363 posts, read 4,015,586 times
And Elkins is EP by no stretch of the imagination.

More seriously, the topics discussed are largely determined by what questions are asked. For a while, the Potomac Highlands got a lot of attention, then the Beckley/Princeton/Bluefield region, then Chas and Huntington. Look back in the older threads and see if there's an answer to your question, or just start a new thread if you wish.

Unread 01-16-2009, 04:33 PM

223 posts, read 664,586 times
I know I've mentioned Elkins, Canaan, Davis area. I live in that region. Trying to get back up to the Canaan/Dry Fork area, until then, I'm in Randolph county a few miles from Elkins.

Unread 01-17-2009, 11:44 AM

2,770 posts, read 6,365,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gym rat View Post
Have any of you even been to the Eastern Panhandle of WV: Elkins, Keyser, Romney, or Martinsburg??? It seems like everyone on the WV threads talk about Charleston and Huntington.
I spoke about the Eastern Panhandle and offer it to all, with the exception of Martinsburg. Now, with the Harpers Ferry shot which I think is your profile photo is one of the most beautiful locations around.

Unread 02-15-2009, 01:30 AM

27 posts, read 71,790 times
Default Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by gym rat View Post
Hello, yes, I have lived in Romney and have friends in Elkins. Romney is a small, nice, friendly town. Elkins quite large. However, I have lived in many places in WV and found the folks with the same friendly personalities where ever I went. Always wanting to "feed" you, always want you to "sit a spell." taking time to talk with you. Even to the point of holding up traffic to do so. Of course WV has it's social problems, etc. like most places.
I still extend this same friendliness to others here where I live. However, people are so very different here for the most part.
I now live in Montana, (I wanna go home) and believe me, it is like a foreign land when compared to WV, completely different mind-set here. Oh, there are some friendly people here of course, but as a whole, they are guarded and just want you to "go away", attitude.
Over the years with my natural WV charm and friendliness I have made friends, but it just is not like home.
I truly believe that West Virginia is among the top friendliest places in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia