U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:47 AM

566 posts, read 1,374,703 times

Advertisements

Mine subsidence has triggered seismic monitors in the past, and there is some discussion about oil/gas well fracturing being the cause of the recent string of quakes in WV.

In Braxton, there's a whole lotta shakin' going on* - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -

Quote:
... Among area residents puzzled by the profusion of earthquakes in a seismically quiet area was Braxton Citizens' News publisher Ed Given.
"I'm 60, and I've lived here all my life," he said, "and never heard of any earthquakes happening here."
As the quakes continued, Given tried to identify something different taking place in his county that could be related to the increased seismic activity.
Between Frametown and Gassaway, a cluster of 12 storage tanks had been installed at a site across W.Va. 4 from the Coastal Lumber mill the previous year.
"I heard rumors that they were injecting fluids from the tanks into an old mine or old wells or something," said Given. "It was one of the only things different or new happening around here."
While he kept that tidbit of information in mind, he didn't immediately know what to do with it.
After four quakes rattled the county in April, followed by two more in May, Given received a letter to the editor from Marshall University geology professor Ronald Martino in June, addressing the topic of local earthquakes.
"I realize there has been some anxiety over the recent earthquakes in Braxton County," he wrote. "It is quite possible that these earthquakes are the result of fluid injection. Drilling in the Marcellus Shale for natural gas in Northern West Virginia has involved hydrofracking of horizontal wells, which has produced large amounts of wastewater. The disposal of this water, as well as brine that is produced from oil and gas wells, is injected back into the earth at a depth of up to several thousand feet."
Martino added that geologists have known for a half-century that "fluid injection along locked faults can trigger small to moderate earthquakes." The increase in fluid pressure, he wrote, essentially lubricated "the frictional resistance to movement along the fault zone, allowing the fault to slip more readily."
Martino wrote that at least one disposal well was in use in Braxton County, at a site off W.Va. 4 about 2.5 miles north of the Frametown exit of Interstate 79, which Given realized was near the point where the new storage tanks had been placed. ......

...In a Dallas Morning News article, Cliff Frohlich, associate director of the University of Texas Institute for Geophysics, said the presence of the injection well and the onset of earthquakes is related.

"We have not proven it with scientific certainty," he said, "but we're looking at these as induced earthquakes."

"We know that natural seismicity has long been observed in this part of Appalachia, and that natural seismic activity often occurs in clusters," Chesapeake Energy spokeswoman Maribeth Anderson said in a statement regarding the Braxton County quakes.
Anderson said 25 earthquakes have been reported within 100 miles of the Braxton County tremors during the past 10 years, including a magnitude 2.5 quake that occurred on Oct. 16, 2000.

"There are no earthquakes to speak of in that part of West Virginia," said Martin Chapman, director of the Virginia Tech Seismic Observatory. "Earthquakes of the size recorded this year near Gassaway could happen naturally, but probably not so many, so close together. ... Something's going on there, and I have a strong suspicion that it's something associated with drilling. As more Marcellus wells are developed, I think we'll be seeing more of this happening in West Virginia."
"Injection in other parts of the country is believed to cause pressure conditions that can reactivate old, inactive fault lines and cause small earthquakes," said Michael Hohn, state geologist and director of the West Virginia Geological and Economic Survey.
"As far as I know, there's no definite answer as to what's causing these earthquakes," Hohn said, "but when they are clustered like that, it's time to pay attention." ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 07:49 PM

ANOTHER MINOR EARTHQUAKE UNDER WV

(09/13/2010)

The U.S. Geological Survey says that a 2.3-magnitude earthquake occurred at 11:08 a.m. Monday under Lincoln County.

The quake was added to a series of small quakes felt under central and southern WV this year, about ten in all.
The epicenter was 9 miles south-southeast of Hamlin and 25 miles west-southwest of Charleston.
No damage was reported.

ANOTHER MINOR EARTHQUAKE UNDER WV

Old 09-16-2010, 11:38 AM

105 posts, read 224,209 times
I haven't lived in W.Va. for many years but grew up in Boone County. I think this is the first time I ever heard of an earthquake in the state.
Wonder if it could have anything to do with the mountain top removal ? I sure hate to read & see pictures of what they are doing to those beautiful mountains.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:20 AM

820 posts, read 1,192,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLW1938 View Post
I haven't lived in W.Va. for many years but grew up in Boone County. I think this is the first time I ever heard of an earthquake in the state.
Wonder if it could have anything to do with the mountain top removal ? I sure hate to read & see pictures of what they are doing to those beautiful mountains.
No, but they are curious as to whether the deep-drilling down into the Marcellus Shale has anything to do with it. Not sure I spelled or stated this correctly but it is where there is a vein of natural gas that is reported to be one of the largest and could provide gas for a good while.

The editor of the Braxton Citizens News has been researching it and writing about it because of the drilling at Frametown and the quakes hitting Braxton.

Edit: Obviously, I hadn't read the whole thread before responding here. Sorry.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,579 times
I have to admit, it all depends on what you are looking for and where you are in your life. I have grown up in WV and yes it is a very beautiful state. If you are someone who like to be in the fast lane and enjoys the nightlife then maybe this isn't the place for you, but if you enjoy nature walks and bike rides with your family then why not come to West Virginia. Here you will experience all four seasons winter definite snow and cold winter weather, spring you see the apple blossoms bloom on the trees and smell the honeysuckles, in the summer it is hot and humid (but you will always find a tree for shade), and in the fall you can see mountains of mass colors of autumn leaves changing, this is one of my favors about the area. The amazing sight of all the leaves and all theirs amazing colors is one of most beautiful sights of this area. That alone bets out anything Cal could offer!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 AM

This one was felt from Parkersburg to St. Mary's.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Mild earthquake confirmed - MariettaTimes.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Ohio, Community Information - The Marietta Times

Mild earthquake confirmed

Epicenter was about 5 miles northeast of Marietta

The Ohio Seismic Network is attributing reports of a loud boom and rattling dishes from the Reno area Sunday morning to a relatively mild magnitude 2.8 earthquake with an epicenter just north of the intersection of Ohio 26 and Washington County Road 333.

"We've had a lot of reports and e-mails from people who said they felt the earthquake around 4:12 a.m.," said Michael Hansen with the Ohio Seismic Network, headquartered in Delaware, Ohio.

"This quake was recorded with equipment as far north as Mansfield," Hansen said. "But the epicenter was about five miles east and northeast of Marietta."

He said reports came from residents with the Marietta ZIP code in the Reno area, and at least one report came from Parkersburg.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:13 PM

2.7 magnitude quake, 2am on Aug. 25th, near Green Bank, WV.

We felt the 5.8 that happened in Va. The recliners were rocking in the house and a bat flew over my head, I suppose the quake woke him up.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:28 PM

4,981 posts, read 6,543,139 times
Most of the government buildings and high rises were evacuated here in Charleston. I missed it, but everybody else here felt it.
Fleming Hall here at State was evacuated too, but my building wasn't.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:09 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,440,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
Mine subsidence has triggered seismic monitors in the past, and there is some discussion about oil/gas well fracturing being the cause of the recent string of quakes in WV.

In Braxton, there's a whole lotta shakin' going on - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -
Quote:
Martino added that geologists have known for a half-century that "fluid injection along locked faults can trigger small to moderate earthquakes." The increase in fluid pressure, he wrote, essentially lubricated "the frictional resistance to movement along the fault zone, allowing the fault to slip more readily."
Martino wrote that at least one disposal well was in use in Braxton County, at a site off W.Va. 4 about 2.5 miles north of the Frametown exit of Interstate 79, which Given realized was near the point where the new storage tanks had been placed. ......
This part I never knew having specialized in oil down stream. I guess there's a reason why there's so much flack over fracking. Hopefully they'll find a better way of going about getting that gas.

Meantime, it's best you don't let bats live in the house.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Meantime, it's best you don't let bats live in the house.
I should clarify.

My wife saw the recliners rocking, she also became nauseated and dizzy. I was outdoors at the time and encountered the bat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia