Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:26 AM

66 posts, read 59,282 times

Advertisements

can anyone tell me more about elkins and richwood, west virginia? crime? good place to raise kids? near or in the mountains? homeschooling orgs? shopping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 12:45 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
I'm not too familiar with Richwood. I went there once in high school on a basketball trip actually. I'm from Elkins actually, so I can probably provide some insight there. Elkins is either a very large town or an extremely small city depending on how you look at it. Its actual city limits population puts it roughly around 7-8,000 people, however it serves an extended area of about 20,000 residents, and serves as the regional economic hub more most of the neighboring counties. It is also traversed by a substantial amount of tourists. Tourists on their ways to the 3 ski resorts that are within an hours drive, countless parks, camp grounds, etc. but also a growing number of tourists coming to tour the Elkins community for its culture and heritage, tens of thousands of visitors attend the Forest Festival in Elkins every October every year, which is the largest festival in the whole state. Crime is not an issue at all, it’s a great place to raise your children. There is a group young adults with adult assistance called Y.E.S. who's goal is to provide more things for kids to do around town. They are wanting to build a new skate park, and possibly a pool, rec center type of thing?. There are several elementary schools in Elkins, a middle and high school, and private 4 year college. There are some private christian schools as well. Elkins is actually on the side of the Allegheny Mountain Range in the Appalachias. As you drive east on Rt 33 you will begin seeing the elevation rise from 1,930 feet at Elkins to well over 4,000 feet nearing 5,000 feet. The Monongalia Nat. forest actually is headquartered in Elkins. Shopping isn't the best, there are plenty of grocery stores, several pharmacies, a new Wal Greens is going up. The city is growing, more and more business are locating just out of the city limits along the 5 lane that leads to Beverly. There are the usuals, Wal Mart, K Mart, Kroger, every fast food restaurant you could think of. However downtown Elkins offers many specialty shops and quant restaurants. I seriously could answer any other questions you could come up with... So I hope I have helped and if you need anything else don't hesitate to ask

Old 06-13-2007, 11:00 AM

wow sounds really nice...how are the jobs there? ill be getting my cdl class b next month and i wanna find a driving job in wv are there many?

Old 06-13-2007, 03:37 PM

Driving for tractor trailer companies is a very good thing around the Elkins area. You could do one of the local logging companies, or haul for one of the nationwide companies, or there is a lot of people who haul rock and stuff from quarries. Look at J.F. Allen Company, they employ a lot of drivers. Here is a page that shows how you can contact them. Maybe they could help you as well

J F Allen Co Inc, Elkins, WV on MacRAE's Blue Book Industrial Directory of Manufacturers

Old 06-14-2007, 08:36 AM

thanks i def appreciate it...is there a daily newspaper for elkins? or weekly anything like that...

Old 06-14-2007, 02:19 PM

yea, there is a monday through saturday daily paper. Its called the Inter-Mountain. Here is its link.

The Inter-Mountain

Old 06-14-2007, 08:26 PM

what would be the best places to look for a home in elkins or right outside it?

Old 06-15-2007, 12:42 AM

South Elkins has a lot of nice homes. You can find a decent one in the 150,000 area. The Weese Street district is also very nice, its behind the courthouse, and behind Hardees, and near the campus of D&E. You could look at Glendale too, its a fairly large community between Elkins and Beverly, its kind of surrounded by development though, like shopping centers and stuff. There really isn't an area I would tell you to avoid. There are different neighborhoods all offering different homes for different budgets, but there really isn't an area to avoid. I'm going to check and see if I can find like relocation information for Elkins somewhere, and I'll post it in here too

Old 06-15-2007, 11:15 AM

thanks for the info...what are the rent prices like in the surrounding area and elkins? as we wont have the money to buy a home yet so we will be renting....what are the best places to rent?

Old 06-15-2007, 05:37 PM

Here is information from the housing authority.

Randolph County Housing Authority
1404 N Randolph Avenue

Elkins, WV. 26241-9667
Phone: (304) 636-6495
Fax: (304) 636-6596

Services Offered: Rental Housing

Check out Cole Avenue, there are a lot of rental properties and apartments along Cole, and its a great neighborhood. There are also many apartments available above many of the buildings in the downtown area. Cole Avenue is right off 11th Street, to help you find it on a map. Price wise, well Randolph county/Elkins was ranked I believe as the 4th cheapest place to live in one of the cheapest states to live in. So its very affordable to live in Elkins. Also the housing authority will work with you to help you rent to own, and set up payments that are in reason with your income. But you shouldn't have a problem finding an affordable place. I think an average 3 bedroom would go for about 300-350? maybe 400? I'm sure the apartments in downtown are probably cheaper than the ones on Cole though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia