U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:18 AM

196 posts, read 271,615 times
Default WV Route 9 Jefferson/Berkeley Counties

With the construction taking place on route 9 between Kearneysville and Martinsburg and Charles Town to the WV/VA state line, I think it is about time we have a thread on it for updates/news etc.

I know that the section to Martinsburg is scheduled to be completed soon. Does anyone know the date?

As for the section from Charles Town to the state line, when is that scheduled to be completed? I am also curious as to how the new highway will connect with the existing route 9 at the state line- Anyone have any info on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 07:39 AM

228 posts, read 436,785 times
The Martinsburg to Keaneysville section is slated to open sometime in August. The only section that is not complete is from the Coast Guard to Leetown Road. Everything else is 100%.

WV9 Bike Path:
I have tested out the bike path from the Eastern Regional Jail to Short Road. What a wonderful addition to the panhandle. The bike path is very wide, much wider than a rail trail. The view of North Mountain heading back to Martinsburg is great and it is mixed with some hills and curves, so its not boring. The only draw back is no shade and I'm sure it will be very noisy once the road opens. But overall I'm excited to have a new bike path that will connect Martinsburg to Charles Town.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:57 AM

4,641 posts, read 2,383,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD35 View Post
The Martinsburg to Keaneysville section is slated to open sometime in August. The only section that is not complete is from the Coast Guard to Leetown Road. Everything else is 100%.

WV9 Bike Path:
I have tested out the bike path from the Eastern Regional Jail to Short Road. What a wonderful addition to the panhandle. The bike path is very wide, much wider than a rail trail. The view of North Mountain heading back to Martinsburg is great and it is mixed with some hills and curves, so its not boring. The only draw back is no shade and I'm sure it will be very noisy once the road opens. But overall I'm excited to have a new bike path that will connect Martinsburg to Charles Town.
Yes, I'm very sure that it will be quite noisy. Presently, we can hear just the Highway State Dept vehicles going back and forth ADD to that the personally owned vehicles and 18-wheelers. Subdivisions along the way have requested a variation of a barrier but were told "it's not going to happen".

Old 05-09-2010, 01:24 PM

380 posts, read 634,025 times
Here's are some links to check for info and updates: WV Route 9 (http://www.transportation.wv.gov/communications/Highways-Projects/WV_Route_9/Pages/default.aspx - broken link)

West Virginia Route 9 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There use to be more information with maps & dates at I think wvroute9.com, but the link is dead now.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:10 PM

196 posts, read 271,615 times
Default Route 9

Looks like the section between Charles Town and WV/VA stateline will be opened fall 2012. Wow two years.....

Old 08-23-2010, 06:45 AM

385 posts, read 1,151,828 times
Gosh, it looks like the Martinsburg to Kearneysville portion of the road is just waiting for them to take down the Road Closed signs!

They said the road would be open by the end of August.

Sounds silly, but I can't wait for this portion of the project to be finally complete!

Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 AM

I seen that the lines are painted on the new section and all the signs are up. It should open to traffic any day now.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:48 AM

4,641 posts, read 2,383,326 times
I saw someone post on Journal Junction comments Sat., 8/21, that they drove down the new RT 9, on Friday. Wonder if this was just one of the individuals that happens to be working on it because I live around there and had not seen any postings that it was opened - as of yet. Kearneysville to Martinsburg?
Drove past this morning but don't remember seeing any of the barracades moved or any cars coming from that direction. Maybe it was both too dark and too early in the morning? Should be able to tell for sure tonight on my way home though.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:42 PM

385 posts, read 1,151,828 times
They said they rode on the New Rte. 9, but I don't know if they are talking about the Kearneysville/Martinsburg leg.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:42 PM

On WHAG news they had a story on the opening of Route 9 from Martinsburg to Kearneysville. The new section will open on August 31. They are finishing signage this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia