U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2016, 05:07 AM

814 posts, read 693,352 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the area where Northern Westchester and Putnam county meet. It was a good area because back then I was 10 minutes to JV Mall and 15-20 minutes to Danbury mall, back in the 80's malls were the thing to do and also in Danbury on Sunday Marcus Dairy would host motorcycles and they would come from all over. Sadly Marcus Dairy no longer exists .

Northern Westchester still looks nice, drove through in 2012 on our way to an Army football game. Mahopac where I used to live as become very run down but if you go Lake Carmel and Patterson area it becomes very quaint country town I think, if I ever had to live back up there I would go to Patterson, that town became very quaint country, I love going. back to visit that place.

New York today is very exspensive, I'm surprised anyone stays, especially with the taxes in Westchester. My wife and I did a 4 bedroom 2 bath on 1.25 acres in rural Virginia for 160k, you will never ever find that in Westchester or Putnam and probably no longer Dutchess either.

The negatives are the taxes and the prices of homes. The positives of Yorktown and Northern Westchester in general is its got a country feel, people are less pretentious, Brewster which isnt far has some great Diners, Peekskill has done some wondetful things, you have access to the city, Yankee Stadium, Bronx Zoo, Army athletics at West Point, football games there in the fall are gorgeous. You also have access to Connecticut, there is so much to do if you can afford the areas cost of living its a great place to call home.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 07:23 AM

3 posts, read 1,247 times
Hello,

I've been looking to buy a house for past couple of years in areas where I can commute to Grand Central station. I mainly looked in Long Island and prices and taxes are just way too high and commute gets worse and worse every year.

I just started researching for houses in Westchester and Yorktown Heights seems to be the nicest/well balanced neighborhood. House prices and property taxes are comparable to the houses that I looked in Long Island (along the border of Nassau and Suffolk). I live in Queens now and takes about an hour getting there. Google maps says it is about an hour drive to GC from Yorktown Heights.

I just need an update form people who are commuting to Midtown(Grand Central Station) area and how they feel about the commute, Schools (i have a year old son now) and taxes, and parts where I should be looking to get a decent 4br house.

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:26 AM

66 posts, read 47,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightgrand View Post
I just started researching for houses in Westchester and Yorktown Heights seems to be the nicest/well balanced neighborhood. House prices and property taxes are comparable to the houses that I looked in Long Island (along the border of Nassau and Suffolk). I live in Queens now and takes about an hour getting there. Google maps says it is about an hour drive to GC from Yorktown Heights.

I just need an update form people who are commuting to Midtown(Grand Central Station) area and how they feel about the commute, Schools (i have a year old son now) and taxes, and parts where I should be looking to get a decent 4br house.
Did you really mean a drive to Grand Central from Yorktown or the train? Unless you leave at 6am you don't want to drive. In rush-hour I would double that to drive to midtown. The realistic commute from Yorktown would be to drive over to Croton Harmon and take the express train. Depending on where in Yorktown it's probably 20 minutes to the train + parking time + 50 minute train ride means you can expect total commute to GC of 1hr 15 minutes or so. I get a seat on the train every day, both to and from the city, and I commute in the height of rush hour.

The trade off for that commute is the fact that you can get a 4 bedroom house with an acre or more of land for under $1M. Croton on Hudson would put you a little closer to the train and is a great public school district. Slightly more expensive houses than Yorktown but not by much.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNYCfast View Post
Did you really mean a drive to Grand Central from Yorktown or the train? Unless you leave at 6am you don't want to drive. In rush-hour I would double that to drive to midtown. The realistic commute from Yorktown would be to drive over to Croton Harmon and take the express train. Depending on where in Yorktown it's probably 20 minutes to the train + parking time + 50 minute train ride means you can expect total commute to GC of 1hr 15 minutes or so. I get a seat on the train every day, both to and from the city, and I commute in the height of rush hour.

The trade off for that commute is the fact that you can get a 4 bedroom house with an acre or more of land for under $1M. Croton on Hudson would put you a little closer to the train and is a great public school district. Slightly more expensive houses than Yorktown but not by much.
Thanks. I could either drive or take the train since I have a cheap parking in midtown. Google shows driving takes around 1 hour so(around 8:30am). I was thinking it isn't so bad since commute from Long Island would take about the same for about 35 mile drive (compare to around 40miles from Yorktown heights) with LIE traffic in queens.

I'm not looking for houses anywhere close to 1m. I'm more looking for houses around 500k with reasonable tax. As far as I've seen on zillow, there are several 4br houses with around 500k with under 10k in taxes. I'm not sure how accurate it is. I will also check Croton on Hudson. Thanks again.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:08 PM

6 posts, read 2,509 times
The Peekskill/Cortlandt/Yorktown area is where you'll get the biggest bang for your buck. Peekskill is a nice walkable town but the schools aren't as good. IMO for the most part, Cortlandt and Yorktown are very similar. Both have a lot of areas that are very spread out, but both also have areas where it feels very suburban.

Driving to midtown is my biggest nightmare. I work near Times Square, and door to door is just about 90 minutes from central Cortlandt(Croton Ave/202 area.) The handful of times I've driven in for whatever reason, its taken anywhere from 1-2.5 hours.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:44 PM

56 posts, read 28,235 times
Quote:
Thanks. I could either drive or take the train since I have a cheap parking in midtown. Google shows driving takes around 1 hour so(around 8:30am). [ ... ]
You should absolutely try that drive a few days first. I think you will find it's closer to 2 hours most days to arrive midtown at 8:30am and often worse leaving the city for home around rush hour. FWIW, google shows between 1:10 to 2:00 from Yorktown to GCT. From south of 287, I too often find the trip to be a full hour when I'm not on the train.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:37 AM

677 posts, read 663,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwch View Post
You should absolutely try that drive a few days first. I think you will find it's closer to 2 hours most days to arrive midtown at 8:30am and often worse leaving the city for home around rush hour. FWIW, google shows between 1:10 to 2:00 from Yorktown to GCT. From south of 287, I too often find the trip to be a full hour when I'm not on the train.
I agree. I have made the drive from Cortlandt to 50th Street and 7th dozens of times and to arrive at 8:30 it has never been under 90 minutes, usually more. If you leave at 6 am, it is doable in an hour. The way home, if you leave after 4:00 pm and before 6:30 pm, its usually over 90 minutes, but 2 hours often enough to drive you nuts. I train almost every day. Only drive 3 or 4 times a year if it is a must.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:21 PM

932 posts, read 278,671 times
I drive at 8:00 - 8:30 to White Plains, NY from Yorktown. Some days it takes 30 minutes to 287 on the Taconic. Another days, it takes 45 minutes or more and that isn't even halfway to northern Manhattan - the beginning of the Westside Highway.

Getting to Croton Harmon train station and parking your car adds 30 minutes to a commute.

As a warning - Zillow can't be trusted with tax figures. Sometimes Zillow doesn't have all three taxes in their total - the school tax, local property tax and county tax.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 12-26-2018 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-08-2019, 11:08 AM

First of all, thank you for the tips.

I used to drive to Westchester Medical center couple of times a week during off peak hours (around 8pm) from Queens and drive wasn't so bad. I have no idea about the traffic during rush hours. I will definitely need to do that to test see how long it really takes. As per the suggestions, driving sounds like a bad idea. lol.

I understand that zillow data can't be 100% accurate.

Any other suggestions on suburban neighborhood with decent schools with not too crazy tax (i know i'm asking too much)? I'm open to any suggestions.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:09 PM

677 posts, read 663,896 times
Quote:
First of all, thank you for the tips.

I used to drive to Westchester Medical center couple of times a week during off peak hours (around 8pm) from Queens and drive wasn't so bad. I have no idea about the traffic during rush hours. I will definitely need to do that to test see how long it really takes. As per the suggestions, driving sounds like a bad idea. lol.

I understand that zillow data can't be 100% accurate.

Any other suggestions on suburban neighborhood with decent schools with not too crazy tax (i know i'm asking too much)? I'm open to any suggestions.

Yorktown has slightly higher taxes than Cortlandt, but i am talking in most areas of maybe a few hundred per year difference on a $500k house, so its not a huge difference. Some say the Yorktown school district is better than Lakeland, others say the opposite. Having coached kids for ears in both and knowing lots of families in both, I think they are pretty similar. The Shrub Oak neighborhood is close the the Taconic and in the Lakeland district. I have lots of friends that love it. But it is a longer drive to either train. If you drive down the route 6 corridor, there are neighborhoods in cortlandt also in the Lakeleand schools that are closer to the Hudson line and are very good. Likewise if you are on rt 6 or rt 202 in the Yorktown district, there are great neighborhoods closer to the Harlem line on the train. I would keep it to Lakeland or Yorktown schools, unless you are including Croton in your search. Croton is IMO the best option. Its right on the Hudson line with a super fast express train (no stops between Croton and the City), great schools, nice homes and a real neighborhood feeling town. Taxes are a little higher than Cortlandt/Lakeland schools, but again, not more than a few hundred bucks on your average house. Good luck. If you find a neighborhood and I can help with any other questions, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County