Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,686 times

Advertisements

I've gotten a job in Midtown, pays 140 K and my wife will likely work part-time in her field. The job is on Lex, so a GCT commute looks best.

We're hunting for shelter in a place with good schools for our 7- and 12-year-year-old. We'll probably have to rent at least until we sell our house in North Carolina.

Pelham is lovely, but pricey. Larchmont and Mamaroneck seem do-able. How about Maplewood or South Orange in Jersey? And is it possible to find a modus vivendi in New Rochelle?

Thanks in advance.

Moammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 09:04 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
New Rochelle schools are huge...like 3500 kids in the HS and 1200 in the elementary school huge. Too big for us but perfect for some. They are not rated as high as others in the area in the middle and high, though.

FYI, you cannot commute to GCC from New Jersey or Long Island. You would have to go to Penn first and then connect, adding 20 minutes or more to your commute.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:24 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
For the east side of Manhattan, the Harlem, Hudson, or New Haven Line trains are the way to go. It's much easier than NJ or Long Island, though the communities you mentioned in New Jersey are nice.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-24-2010, 12:55 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
Getting from Penn Station to Grand Central doesn't take more than 15 minutes during rush hours (usually 10). The shuttle runs like clockwork and you shouldn't have to wait more than a few minutes for the 1, 2, or 3. I commute via GC and work on top of Penn, so I do it daily. It's a total pain, but not a long one.

So if you really want Montclair/Maplewood, just add 10-15 minutes to your commute time to get over to the east side.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:23 PM

223 posts, read 828,064 times
The commute from GCT in general is much more pleasant IMO. I have had to take NJ Transit a few times to my inlaws and it horrible. Trains are always delayed, Penn is a dump and very crowded. I think I run into an issue on Metro North maybe once a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County