Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:31 AM

24 posts, read 67,119 times

Advertisements

I've done quite a bit of research on a potential move to the NYC area and I can echo much of what was said above. Yonkers gets a bad rap for being violent, but in actuality, the East (especially NE) side of Yonkers is extremely nice and safe.

The SouthWest side, however, is very crime ridden. I wouldn't move there if you paid me to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 07:27 PM

95 posts, read 250,762 times
Default some areas to consider in Yonkers

Hi, we lived in Yonkers for 5 years before moving this year and there are some nice areas to live there. (We moved because we wanted more space.)

We lived in Dunwoodie, which we generally liked. Other nice neighborhoods to look at are Lincoln Park, Crestwood, Lawrence Park West, Colonial Heights, Beech Hill, and Strathmore. Dunwoodie and Lincoln Park are closer to I-87, while most of the other neighborhoods are closer to the Bronx River Parkway. Hope this helps.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:31 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
bronxeville? its pretty much yonkers

Old 08-04-2010, 11:53 AM

58 posts, read 239,969 times
Yonkers is very inexpensive and safe. Cedar Knolls and Lawrence Park West (i.e., the area just west of Bronxville) is probably the best, because in addition to being quiet and safe, these neighborhoods are convenient to Bronxville, as well as the train and numerous parkways.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:01 PM

95 posts, read 250,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentJoeMorgan View Post
Yonkers is very inexpensive and safe. Cedar Knolls and Lawrence Park West (i.e., the area just west of Bronxville) is probably the best, because in addition to being quiet and safe, these neighborhoods are convenient to Bronxville, as well as the train and numerous parkways.
There is definite value in Yonkers, at least for now, but they keep raising that income tax "surcharge." Based on recent legislation, I heard there's a chance it could go to 15%. That can help them keep property taxes relatively lower, but it is making Yonkers much less expensive overall, if it goes through.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,746 times
Default Apartments in Yonkers

I figured I'd extend this thread instead of starting a new one.

I'll be working in the Ridge Hill complex, located between the New York State Thruway and the Sprain Brook Parkway and am searching for an apartment somewhere in the area.

I want to keep the commute to a minimum and also live in a safe, modern, and somewhat affordable apartment.

From reading the other posts in this thread, it sounds like Beech Hill, Crestwood, Lawrence Park West, Cedar Knolls, Strathmore, Colonial Heights, and Lincoln Park are good areas.

When I google search apartments in those areas, I'll think I've found the one, and then I read reviews which usually complain about the management, bugs, noise, and/or the building is too old.

What I'd like to know is what are decent apartment buildings (large or small) that people know of in the good areas to live?

Thank you.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:04 PM

16 posts, read 59,040 times
Default SE Yonkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by westchesterite View Post
You would be better off using Mt. Vernon West Train station and moving to Bronx River Road or Yonkers Ave.
Or the Wakefield Station is even better. SE Yonkers has no crime. It is very Irish, but feels diverse to me. About half my neighbors are darker skinned. Many languages spoken, so I'm not sure of the demographics, but many catholics. Working families. lots of pubs. Many people with cars prefer to walk about. Get some excersize and walk home tipsy from time to time. Great school, if you win the school lottery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County