Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 08:26 AM

14 posts, read 41,279 times

Advertisements

Morning, all. After a few years spent living in Brooklyn, I’m feeling very ready for a move to a small town. After quite a bit of research on these forums—and based on metro-north monthly rail costs to Grand Central, as I work in Manhattan—I believe Tarrytown will be my best bet. I’m going up this weekend to take a look around, but I’d love to hear from those who live there, particularly those under 40 and/or without kids, about what life is like in Tarrytown: the cafes and restaurants, weekend activities (yoga/art/events), proximity to hiking, the people etc.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 07:09 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,243 times
Life anywhere is what you make of it.
Are you bored? That just means you're boring.
Boring people will be bored in the city or the suburbs.
Engaged interesting people will be engaged in the city or in the middle of Siberia.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:17 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,990 times
Tarrytown should give you what you are looking for, as long as it fits your budget. You'll need a car though to fully enjoy what the surrounding areas have to offer especially hiking and other events in Westchester.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:44 PM

369 posts, read 633,380 times
I love Tarrytown, I just don't love that it's built on a hill (all of the river towns are). I'm on the Sound Shore, which I like a lot (but a lot of people don't). I guess just come and check it out and you'll see. What works for one might not work as well for another.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Forest_Hills and Justabitoff. I wasn't planning on getting a car and instead relying on walking (which I love) and metro-north. But I will be coming up in the next two weeks. Thanks again!

Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 PM

100 posts, read 226,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabitoff View Post
I love Tarrytown, I just don't love that it's built on a hill (all of the river towns are). I'm on the Sound Shore, which I like a lot (but a lot of people don't). I guess just come and check it out and you'll see. What works for one might not work as well for another.
What don't you like about it being on a hill? Winter snow/ice problems? Just curious. Potentially going to Sleepy Hollow for medical residency in 18 months or so.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:54 PM

369 posts, read 633,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtostarboard View Post
What don't you like about it being on a hill? Winter snow/ice problems? Just curious. Potentially going to Sleepy Hollow for medical residency in 18 months or so.
Yes, exactly. Most of the apartment rentals in the area are an uphill (going home) walk from the Tarrytown train station and that wasn't something I wanted to do in the dead of winter. And the rentals in Tarrytown seemed much farther away from the train station than other places that I looked, but it was my own personal comfort. Tarrytown is great! I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of it.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:38 AM

100 posts, read 226,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabitoff View Post
Yes, exactly. Most of the apartment rentals in the area are an uphill (going home) walk from the Tarrytown train station and that wasn't something I wanted to do in the dead of winter. And the rentals in Tarrytown seemed much farther away from the train station than other places that I looked, but it was my own personal comfort. Tarrytown is great! I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of it.
Thanks. And no problems with hills and snow; we're from Boulder.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:57 AM

Good to know about rentals being further away from the train station. I've had a hard time even finding a number of rentals to look at, but will hopefully have more luck when I visit shortly. While a west coast climate would be nice, the winter is manageable. Thanks for the info, Justabitoff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County