U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 AM

121 posts, read 317,515 times
Default How is Cortlandt Manor?

Just like to know what you think of Cortlandt Manor (south) for an Asian family with a young child? I know we probably stand out like a sore thumb, but want to know more about the community.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 01:28 PM

32 posts, read 66,752 times
You will be fine. It's a great community with good schools, low taxes, and beautiful views.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 927 times
Great diversity, shopping and education

Old 01-28-2013, 08:29 PM

123 posts, read 147,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayMathewHomes View Post
You will be fine. It's a great community with good schools, low taxes, and beautiful views.
On the contrary, taxes are not low here. We pay @14K per annum and schools are slightly above average which feed into Yorktown zones. Cortlandt Manor is on the cusp of a redevelopment stage, hence, has always been under a buyer's radar due to its proximity to Peekskill. Its location is considered prime for city commuters if you want a cheaper house north of Furnace Dock Rd., yet does lack the sophistication of adjourning, Yorktown and Croton.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:30 PM

460 posts, read 784,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoowanna View Post
On the contrary, taxes are not low here. We pay @14K per annum and schools are slightly above average which feed into Yorktown zones. Cortlandt Manor is on the cusp of a redevelopment stage, hence, has always been under a buyer's radar due to its proximity to Peekskill. Its location is considered prime for city commuters if you want a cheaper house north of Furnace Dock Rd., yet does lack the sophistication of adjourning, Yorktown and Croton.

Yorktown has sophistication? You do realize that Yorktown was once a predominantly blue-collar area, right? While there may be more white collar/affluent residents there now, I still wouldn't describe the area as "sophisticated". I'm not sure I'd say that about Croton either.

As someone who has lived in Croton for about 2 years and Buchanan for 5, Cortlandt Manor to me is an OK area. It's safe, and somewhat rustic. Since there really is no "downtown" area and it covers a lot of territory, it doesn't really have it's own feel, IMO.

As far as taxes go, I don't think there is really anywhere in Westchester where taxes are reasonable, compared to other areas of the US. Westchester pays some of the highest property taxes in the country, which is one of the reasons why I hope to move out of the area this year.

There don't seem to be many Asian families in Cortlandt Manor and the surrounding areas. You'll have to decide how important that is to you.

For shopping, your main choices are going to be the Cortlandt Town Center, which has Walmart as its major store, along with a Home Depot, Barnes & Noble, multiplex movie theatre, etc., or you can trek over to the Jefferson Valley Mall to shop at Macy's (I don't remember what the other retail anchor is there). Otherwise you're going to have to go down to White Plains.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:27 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,903,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Yorktown has sophistication? You do realize that Yorktown was once a predominantly blue-collar area, right? While there may be more white collar/affluent residents there now, I still wouldn't describe the area as "sophisticated". I'm not sure I'd say that about Croton either.

As someone who has lived in Croton for about 2 years and Buchanan for 5, Cortlandt Manor to me is an OK area. It's safe, and somewhat rustic. Since there really is no "downtown" area and it covers a lot of territory, it doesn't really have it's own feel, IMO.

As far as taxes go, I don't think there is really anywhere in Westchester where taxes are reasonable, compared to other areas of the US. Westchester pays some of the highest property taxes in the country, which is one of the reasons why I hope to move out of the area this year.

There don't seem to be many Asian families in Cortlandt Manor and the surrounding areas. You'll have to decide how important that is to you.

For shopping, your main choices are going to be the Cortlandt Town Center, which has Walmart as its major store, along with a Home Depot, Barnes & Noble, multiplex movie theatre, etc., or you can trek over to the Jefferson Valley Mall to shop at Macy's (I don't remember what the other retail anchor is there). Otherwise you're going to have to go down to White Plains.
Not so long ago I had a long tit-for-tat with someone on the board about the percentage of blue colar residents in Yorktown Heights (as opposed to all of Yorktown), and I adamantly stand my estimate of a max of 10% actual blue-collar based on my 11 years experience living here. It's remarkably diverse socio-economically and there is a great range of incomes and professions. My area is largely creative professionals and lawyer/bussiness people, but other areas of town are much more full of teachers, accountants, and other similar professions. But I'd readily agree that Yorktown is not "sophisticated". (And I'd definitely say the same for Croton). There has been a notoable increase in interesting stores and restaurants in the last 10 years, but it is very laid-back and mellow here.

There is a pretty large Asian population in Yorktown Heights. I think largely due to the IBM facilities and related businesses.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:55 AM

460 posts, read 784,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
Not so long ago I had a long tit-for-tat with someone on the board about the percentage of blue colar residents in Yorktown Heights (as opposed to all of Yorktown), and I adamantly stand my estimate of a max of 10% actual blue-collar based on my 11 years experience living here. It's remarkably diverse socio-economically and there is a great range of incomes and professions. My area is largely creative professionals and lawyer/bussiness people, but other areas of town are much more full of teachers, accountants, and other similar professions. But I'd readily agree that Yorktown is not "sophisticated". (And I'd definitely say the same for Croton). There has been a notoable increase in interesting stores and restaurants in the last 10 years, but it is very laid-back and mellow here.

There is a pretty large Asian population in Yorktown Heights. I think largely due to the IBM facilities and related businesses.
Yes, the demographics of Yorktown and Yorktown Heights have changed quite a bit since back in the early to mid 70s when my parents used to take us up that way to visit a couple they knew in that area (the man worked for New York Telephone). I have no doubt that there are many more professionals living there now than blue collar individuals.

I wasn't aware of the large Asian population in Yorktown Heights. Thanks for the info.

For the record, I wasn't putting down Yorktown in my previous post. I go there quite a bit during the warmer weather to bike on the North County Trail, and to take advantage of the free summer concerts at the gazebo at the Jack DeVito field on Veterans Road (which I heartily recommend to residents and non-residents alike). It's a fine area to raise a family. I only disagree with Youwanna's statement about calling the area "sophisticated" (even if they do have a Starbucks there now, lol).

Old 02-02-2013, 11:39 AM

123 posts, read 147,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Yes, the demographics of Yorktown and Yorktown Heights have changed quite a bit since back in the early to mid 70s when my parents used to take us up that way to visit a couple they knew in that area (the man worked for New York Telephone). I have no doubt that there are many more professionals living there now than blue collar individuals.

I wasn't aware of the large Asian population in Yorktown Heights. Thanks for the info.

For the record, I wasn't putting down Yorktown in my previous post. I go there quite a bit during the warmer weather to bike on the North County Trail, and to take advantage of the free summer concerts at the gazebo at the Jack DeVito field on Veterans Road (which I heartily recommend to residents and non-residents alike). It's a fine area to raise a family. I only disagree with Youwanna's statement about calling the area "sophisticated" (even if they do have a Starbucks there now, lol).
I think you may be overestimating my definition of "sophisticated", in that, Cortlandt Manor (present day) comparative to Yorktown - which has a slightly less middle class feel, due to it's very slow redevelopment and very mediocre - lower socioeconomic shopping. I've been living here in CM for @10 years and not much has changed as far as real estate offerings (new developments) , public school academic enrichment programs, shopping, hence the number of middle line shops which have recently closed down due to the economy and overall consumer affordability. Also, the median house income in CM does NOT compare to Yorktown whatsoever, average price index of homes, and school ratings. IMO if you're going to pay high taxes, you might as well pay in the better of the two towns, that being Yorktown.

When outweighing the high taxes in all of these Westchester based towns, including Croton, moving to select Connecticut towns or Putnam/Dutchess counties is a much better option for the buck if you can swing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County