U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 12:58 PM

77 posts, read 137,564 times

Advertisements

Hi there, looking to go to Croton in Oct. and maybe go up a bit and explore some of the Hudson Valley as well. I know no one can predict peak foliage, but based on your experience, would it be better to go the weekend of Oct. 23 or Oct. 30? Some research says the 2nd and 3rd weeks in Oct for peak viewing, others say the last weekend in Oct. Haven't had a vacation in 2 years so just trying to make this one as memorable as possible. Also, if anyone can suggest good pumpkin patches, places to get cider donuts, or any other fun fall activities, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 04:27 PM

177 posts, read 401,434 times
I actually recommend the Columbus Day weekend. I always remember that as peak. However, with the lack of rainfall this summer, i's hard to say. many trees are turning already.

if you want a great experience at a U Pick It Farm, I have to wholeheartedly recommend Dubois Farms in Highland, NY. It is halfway between Newburgh and New Paltz on 9W. It's a great place for adults and kids. DuBois Farms U-Pick for apple picking and more, Highland, New York

Old 09-19-2010, 10:35 AM

12,267 posts, read 9,437,633 times
Second or third weekend in October is usually safe.

We like to go to Muscoot Farms in Westchester and walk around the trails. The drive there is also very nice. Muscoot Farm

Silverman's Farm in Easton, CT is also an annual favorite. It's a longer drive, but the Hutch/Merritt Parkway is beautiful in the fall. Welcome to Silverman's Farm

The kids will love the above.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:56 AM

10,829 posts, read 26,404,087 times
For good cider donuts, I would head to Rockland County. This orchard sells at farmers markets in Manhattan, and their apple cider donuts are excellent.

The Orchards of Concklin

Staying in Westchester, Wilkens Fruit Farm is another place to consider for the fall festivities, and the cider donuts.

Wilkens Farm

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-19-2010, 11:54 AM

1,568 posts, read 2,745,665 times
Nice scenic walks: North County Trailway or the Old Croton Aqueduct

Old 09-19-2010, 04:15 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,245,779 times
This will be an early foliage season, for sure. I just drove down from southern White Mtns in NH and Connecticut river Valley in VT today. Birches, in particular, are already golden up there. Maples will follow. In fact there's already the odd maple in full glory in central CT. Columbus day will be too late this year, I'd figure the end of Sept. I've got a New England trip planned for Oct 1, which i think will be spot on this year. Last year was late, BTW - I was in the same part of NH the last week of Oct and it was just peaking then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County