Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:01 PM

382 posts, read 825,065 times

Advertisements

But here are the catches: We only have 3k to spend per month on rent and we have 2 kids so we want somewhere extremely safe with a good school district. We are relocating from Chicago and I am really stressed out looking for somewhere in NY that isn't pricing us out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 04:28 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Under an hour would be tough, since on an express train it can be 30-35 minutes to Grand Central. Then, you would need to take the subway downtown, so I would add another 20-30 minutes, plus a couple of minutes to walk to the building. Around an hour, you could find something, but you would need to be in Pelham or Larchmont, realistically, since Pelham is close and Larchmont has an express train. Bronxville also has a fast commute, but $3k does not go far in the village.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-07-2010, 06:14 AM

132 posts, read 514,941 times
going all the way to wall street in less than an hour from westchester is hard. have you looked in nj? they have good schools there too and you'd be able to get to work more quickly.

ps- just moved from chicago last year with our four kids. you'll enjoy it! welcome! my partner works in midtown though so it wasn't as hard to find a not too long commute from westchester.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:51 AM

269 posts, read 480,898 times
The express from scarsdale is 28 min. There are many apartment buildings walkable to the scarsdale station. The school district would most probably be Eastchester or Scarsdale, both very good.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 AM

257 posts, read 1,058,432 times
How about New Rochelle? She might be able to find something affordable there in a good school district.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:18 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown17 View Post
How about New Rochelle? She might be able to find something affordable there in a good school district.
From personal experience Larchmont or New Rochelle will get you from train station to your desk in roughly an hour. Housing-wise Larchmont is a budget-buster but very good schools and good quality of life. The north end of New Rochelle is nice, but not cheap, not as good quality of life as Larchmont, schools are okay, but come high school start thinking private schools.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:21 AM

21 posts, read 98,446 times
The commute from Scarsdale is not under an hour. I used to take the train from the next station closer in to Manhattan, and it would take me over an hour to get to Wall Street.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM

506 posts, read 1,313,464 times
I also used to commute to Wall street, and the only way I used to get to work in under an hour was to drive. Of course, it took a lot longer getting home. It would take 35-40 minutes to get there and 1 -1.25 hour to get home. That's from a village with a 35 minute express train.

There is a ferry from Yonkers though, you can check the times. It drops off right at the end of Wall st.

Door to door, with getting to the train station, waiting, walking to the subway, walking to the office, it adds up. If you must live in the suburbs the best commute to Wall st is from NJ.

However, I'm still pissed at my wife for convincing me to move from Brooklyn Heights. Awesome neighborhood and only a ten minute commute to Wall st.

Last edited by TDNY; 10-07-2010 at 01:00 PM..

Old 10-09-2010, 07:40 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown17 View Post
New Rochelle's school district is considered "average". The "nice" suburban part of town is several miles north of the train station (indeed, it's probably closer from there to the Scarsdale train station). The neighborhood elementary schools there are nice, but it's one high school for the whole city and I've been told they have their issues, etc.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:12 AM

Location: San Fernando Valley, CA but desperately hoping to move back to New York
74 posts, read 350,089 times
I grew up in the north end of New Rochelle, it was a great place to live. The commute to wall street would definitely not be under an hour. For us to drive to the train station, we would have to leave about 20-30 minutes, depending on the weather. And in really bad weather we would have to call a cab if our car was snowed in. And that could take a while.

We never tried to go from the Scarsdale train station.

The best areas to commute from new Rochelle train would be from the wykagyl area near north avenue or off of pinebrook blvd near bayberry or Larchmont woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County