Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 08:06 AM

32 posts, read 130,066 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I were thinking of buying some property in Westchester County, or maybe Rockland County ( he doesn't want to go across the Tappan Zee!). Instead of purchasing a home, we were thinking of purchasing one of those Modular homes, (the ones partially built in a factory), or perhaps a Manufactured Home (Formerly Known as a Trailer Home). We've been to a couple of Manufactured home dealers and once they've been set with the concrete foundation, you'd never be able to tell the difference. The same goes for Modular Homes.

My question is will Westchester County allow this? OR will Rockland? We really love the Newer, Greener Homes and don't have a fortune to make endless updates to an existing house. Thanks for any advice you guys may be able to offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 11:39 AM

374 posts, read 1,058,579 times
I really have no idea what you mean, but are you from this area? I'd like to know where you plan to put the furnace for this manufactured home? Is the concrete foundation a basement?

Old 10-21-2010, 02:21 PM

32 posts, read 130,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
I really have no idea what you mean, but are you from this area? I'd like to know where you plan to put the furnace for this manufactured home? Is the concrete foundation a basement?

We currently live in the Bronx, but I'm a Nursing Student in Rockland County. Maybe you've heard them called Pre-Fab Homes? They come to your home site partially built already.

I have no idea about the basement, or where to put a furnace. I was hoping some of the fabulous folks on City-Data could help direct me. You guys have offered some invaluable advice over the years and I appreciate any advice that can be given. We're first time home buyers and really just want the absolute best house, in the absolute best area that we can afford!! thanks for your help.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:40 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,318 times
We briefly considered building our own house and if we did go that route we were going to look into doing a pre-fab. We have seen so many of them go up in Greenwich but I'm not sure about Westchester.

For those who don't know what is now possible, check out havenhomes.com and click on the gallery or floor plans.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:19 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,900 times
I know someone who has done it in Westchester. The positives: you have a huge, new house in a nice neighborhood that's worth a real lot of money. The negatives: you're taxed on a huge, new house in a nice neighborhood worth a real lot of money.

Expect to pay double what you'd pay in taxes compared to the older house next door.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:21 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times
They are very very rare in Westchester. I do believe (but am not sure) that many towns do not allow them because they believe it will bring property values down, etc.

The one "trailer park" in Westchester I know of that has nice prefab homes on its streets is in Croton-on-Hudson just off of Rt. 9 near the Amberlands (or it may be Skyview, I get the two confused a lot) senior apt. complex. Maybe they would let you buy land there to put such a home on. Even in Putnam County which borders Westchester to the north and is much less dense such homes are rare (again, I know of such a park in/near Cold Spring).

Old 10-22-2010, 10:11 AM

866 posts, read 2,484,318 times
Hmm. Pre-fab doesn't equal trailer. In fact, the quality of a well-built pre-fab home is as good or greater than any "stick-built" house because the parts are built in a controlled environment and not subject to the elements during building. Corners and windows can be cut more precisely. Like I said, I've seen several go up in Riverside and Old Greenwich, CT, and unless you were there to see the parts trucked in you would never know because they are gorgeous homes that fit right into their exclusive surroundings. Maybe people in Greenwich are more informed and progressive than they are in Westchester...

Old 10-22-2010, 11:14 AM

54 posts, read 110,242 times
Streetsmart is correct. Modular Homes are stronger and better built homes than the traditional stick-built homes and less expensive. I actually went to "Westchester Modular" factory tour and they explained the building process and how much more sterdy the construction is compared to stick built. I personally was and still am looking to purchase a brand new modular home over stick build. The problem I've had was finding vacant land in a nice neighborhood.

If I remember correctly, WM said they charge about 100K per 1,000 sq. ft. of home with standard features. So if you think about it, you can get a BRAND NEW 5,000 sq. ft home for about 500K. Can't go wrong with that.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:15 PM

48 posts, read 153,304 times
what on earth would I ever do with 5000 sq feet??? wow, lots of room for out door gear..lol

Old 10-22-2010, 07:24 PM

54 posts, read 110,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortlandtmanorresident View Post
what on earth would I ever do with 5000 sq feet??? wow, lots of room for out door gear..lol
If you have a family with 3-4 kids then 5,000 sq. ft isn't too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County