U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 01:12 PM

8 posts, read 17,191 times

Advertisements

I'm going to simplfy the question... Optimum or Fios??? My husband has been researching without a clear answer. Advantages or disadvantages?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 01:17 PM

223 posts, read 682,124 times
Fios! I had Cablevision and it was horrible, Internet and Cable would go out frequently. This never happened with FIOS. We could not wait until FIOS came to our neighborhood!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 PM

815 posts, read 1,981,542 times
As we just saw our neighbor trying to set up a satellite dish, I have to say FiOS. Knock on wood but we haven't had any real problems with it. I got all three services through them (although the phone isn't considered FiOS, just Verizon). I liked that I could pick what speeds I wanted for uploading and downloading, I picked out my cable package, and also got a proper land line phone (not VoIP, which goes out with your cable). We pay about $140/month for all three.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:01 AM

506 posts, read 1,155,313 times
I had cablevision for a while, and switched to Fios a few months ago. Optimum (cablevision) has better customer service and much less wait time if you are calling them up. FIOS has a better quality TV/internet/phone service. The picture is clearer and the internet is faster. The DVR doesn't store much though, that's my only gripe really. FIOS is also slightly more expensive I think, but you get a bunch of discounts for the first year or more, depending on what they are running when you sign up.

BTW you can get a modem based phone with Verizon also, it's about $5 cheaper a month. They install a battery backup that lasts 8 hours for the phone so you can still use it if the power goes out, like a traditional phone line. Cablevision didn't do that, which was a problem when the power would go out especially given the fact that I live in a cell signal dead zone.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:50 AM

1,008 posts, read 1,853,722 times
I've never used Fios, but I haven't had any problems at all with my Optimum service. I'm surprised to hear others say that their service has gone out.
I dropped the tv portion of my Optimum service a while back, because I don't have the time to watch much tv, I can watch some of the shows I like online, and I didn't like the fact that Cablevision charges different rates for basic cable depending on where you live. The only thing I don't like about Optimum is having to pay $50/month just for internet service (you'll get $5/month off if you subscribe to family cable or above).

Old 10-24-2010, 05:53 AM

258 posts, read 773,131 times
I have Optimum and have never lost service. My sound gets messed up occasionally. I would love to get Fios but they do not have the Knicks and Rangers in HD and my husband will not watch non HD sports!

Old 10-24-2010, 08:09 AM

395 posts, read 1,385,445 times
We are generally happy with our FIOS service (had DirecTV before that, it was always going out at the slightest breeze or rain and the customer service was horrible), but there are a few things I wish they would change:

1. If you have a multi-room DVR (which is what you get with the triple play package), you can only pause, ffwd and rewind live TV on the actual DVR box, not on all of them. They don't explain this very well and if we had known we may have opted to get more than one DVR box.

2. When you do pause, whether live TV or a recorded program, it only stays paused for a few minutes then reverts back to live programming (DirecTV didn't have this limitation - a recorded program could stay paused all day).

3. The season pass and other recording options are more complicated and not as easy to navigate as the DirecTV menus.

All in all, we will stick with FIOS because it does seem more reliable and the internet speed is amazing (plus my hubs just ordered the NBA league pass... ).

Old 10-24-2010, 05:35 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,220,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
I had cablevision for a while, and switched to Fios a few months ago. Optimum (cablevision) has better customer service and much less wait time if you are calling them up.
This is absolutely amazing. I can't imagine that worse cust svc is even possible. I'll never even contemplate Fios after that.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:03 PM

815 posts, read 1,981,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
This is absolutely amazing. I can't imagine that worse cust svc is even possible. I'll never even contemplate Fios after that.
See, I've called FiOS customer service a couple of times (phone number and billing issues when we first moved in) and I had no problem whatsoever. No waiting. So I guess it just depends...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County