Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 09:22 PM

6 posts, read 20,114 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am planning to move to US during April 2011.

1.Since my job involves frequent travel to Stamford (CT), Hartford(CT) and Manhattan, I am considering somewhere between New York City and Stamford to be the area to live.

My additional criteria include

2.Good School District preferably the same school which has both Kindergarten and 6th standard ( my first daughter will be 10 next year and my second one will be 5 years old)

3. Affordable housing – if possible in downtown /close to school so that my wife avoids driving (if possible)

4. Live in an Indian community such that transition is easier.

5. Are there any schools in CT which teach Hindi, since my kids need to come back after two years to India and will have a problem if they do not study Hindi in US.

Can you please suggest suitable towns which meet the above criteria and what would be the costs there of?

Thanks very much in advance and have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 12:13 PM

103 posts, read 570,705 times
White Plains has at least a small Indian community and has a large range of housing in terms of budget. If you look on the map you'll see that it's pretty convenient to both Stamford and Manhattan. I'm not sure about your other questions but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,684 times
Hi All..

We have just arrived to White Plains.. I am an house wife.. just looking for some Indians around..Can we get some Indian Contacts around ?

Thank you!

Old 09-23-2011, 09:02 AM

4 posts, read 11,409 times
Not sure about your budget. White plains has a lot of variety I have lived there for for two years when I came to US. I don't have kids but based on what I hear.
White plains Schools are not great primarily due to lower avg scores I guess. I believe teaching standard etc should be fine. However, anything would be much better than the kind of school we went to in India and westchester schools are generally good. A lot depends on the kid. Other places worth considering are Mamaroneck , which has great connectivity by train to both Manahattan and Stamford and has great schools.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:31 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,606,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk33333 View Post
Hi

I am planning to move to US during April 2011.

1.Since my job involves frequent travel to Stamford (CT), Hartford(CT) and Manhattan, I am considering somewhere between New York City and Stamford to be the area to live.

My additional criteria include

2.Good School District preferably the same school which has both Kindergarten and 6th standard ( my first daughter will be 10 next year and my second one will be 5 years old)

3. Affordable housing – if possible in downtown /close to school so that my wife avoids driving (if possible)

4. Live in an Indian community such that transition is easier.

5. Are there any schools in CT which teach Hindi, since my kids need to come back after two years to India and will have a problem if they do not study Hindi in US.

Can you please suggest suitable towns which meet the above criteria and what would be the costs there of?

Thanks very much in advance and have a great day.
I know a place which is the best for all three. It's easy to find and you don't even have to travel. Just stay where you are

Seriously, why can't you guys blend in with new people and make new friends? Please

You should let your wife drive. She'll find it liberating.

I remember my Hindi teacher caned me when I was 7 and I never learnt Hindi after that. To this day, I proudly thump my chest that I didn't learn that language. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County