Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 06:33 PM

9 posts, read 28,554 times

Advertisements

2kidsinchicago-

What are you looking for in the place you'd like to live, besides what you've stated. Are you currently residing in the City proper or out in the Burbs? I ask, because many of the towns that people have suggested, are very different in character from each other. As a transplanted Chicagoan myself, I could suggest similar Westchester towns in nature as to where you currently live.

It took my wife and I a little bit sort this out ourselves, but in the end we are glad for the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 02:15 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
I'm from the Chicago area (lived in the city & northern suburbs) & have also lived in central & SW Michigan. I have visited the NY Tri-State area many times for various purposes. A couple of my best friends live out there. In fact, I was just in Manhattan during Labor Day weekend. I have also been to Westchester County. I think what you are saying is surprisingly accurate, but here's the difference. In the Chicago area, a lot of those suburban sprawl areas outside of the city are actually solid job corridors (ie. Deerfield/Northbrook, Schaumburg, Oak Brook, etc.). The equivalent of that sprawl does exist in the NY Tri-State area, except it isn't in Westchester County north of White Plains as much as it is in places like suburban New Jersey & Long Island. I've heard the I-95 from Stamford, Connecticut into Manhattan (and vice versa) is pretty brutal as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairch View Post
Commute time isn't everything Basically NYC has every advantage that Chicago has and then some. Where we were living in Chicago, the housing costs are about the same as here in Westcherster but Chicago is a giant urban sprawl. We live in Northern Westchester and are able to feel like we're out in the woods/country, real roaming space and still be only and hour and change from midtown. To get that same feel in Chicago you'd have to move 2.5hrs away to Wisconsin. Seriously. And then in terms of my and my husband's careers, there are more opportunities here. So all in all, better here. Chicago is fabulous though. Don't get me wrong. Just saying we're glad we moved here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County