U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,306 times
Default Holiday Tips for Mail Man and Refuse Collectors

New Home owner for first time during the holiday season and would like to know what is the customary tip you give to your mailman and Refuse Collection team!

Or nice to hear your opinions on the subject. Anyone give wine/alcohol or is that not allowed anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 08:44 PM

9,189 posts, read 14,453,393 times
The post office does not allow cash gifts, per the regulations, but a small gift of nominal value is acceptable under the regulations. I give cookies/candy and something like a pair of gloves, so that the letter carrier does not get in trouble.

The garbage collectors, depends upon whether they are private or municipal. Municipal, there will be regulations, as it is in NYC, as to what can be accepted. For a private carrier, tips are generally acceptable, and we have always given $10-20 per member of the crew. You can also give each a small gift or restaurant gift card. The gift card has been something that we have done recently, in order to prevent problems if the company frowns upon cash tips.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-09-2010, 09:12 PM

677 posts, read 1,179,013 times
can give mail carrier a gift card I think

Old 12-10-2010, 04:33 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,179,823 times
we just moved to the US and I have the same question..... except my mail box is at the end of the street and I have never seen the mail man. Should I leave a tip ? and if so how ? do a put an envelope in the mail box addresses to the mail man ?? and ditto the rubbish guy. should I stick a card to the rubbish bin ??

Old 12-10-2010, 05:10 PM

677 posts, read 1,179,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
we just moved to the US and I have the same question..... except my mail box is at the end of the street and I have never seen the mail man. Should I leave a tip ? and if so how ? do a put an envelope in the mail box addresses to the mail man ?? and ditto the rubbish guy. should I stick a card to the rubbish bin ??
Nah no one expects tips from people from Europe.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:21 PM

You can put the mail carrier's gift in the box and address it to them. For the refuse collector, it's a bit more tricky as you would not want it to get lost. If only they gave the self-addressed envelopes as some of the newspaper delivery guys do.

You could also call the main office of the trash company, find out their policy, and mail the gift to the collectors on your route if you don't know what time they will be to your house.

City-Data FAQs

Old 12-12-2010, 01:54 PM

22,318 posts, read 11,235,032 times
Garbage Pick Up:: I always think about leaving something but then realize it's a different crew all the time...If it was the same crew than yes but it seems pointless when the whole idea is to take care of the men taking care of you .. After all, isn't it their job anyway? I take the bags out of the cans for them so there's my tip 52 times a year.

Mail Carrier: This year its been mostly the same guy...Gift Card is good idea... Bottle of Wine... Little hand/feet warmers... L.E.D Flashlight... Box of milkbone treats for dogs on premises?

Old 12-14-2010, 02:47 PM

38 posts, read 48,443 times
We have always given our mail carrier a check made out to "cash" for $25.00. It has never been refused and as far as I know he hasn't had any problem. Money is always the best gift in these cases ie supers, garbage collectors, mail carriers, beauticians, barbers, etc.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:06 AM

Technically, the post office personnel should not be accepting cash/cash value (gift cards -- didn't know that applied, too) as they are bound by the ethics of the Executive Branch. They are considered government employees, so the rules for holiday gifts are a bit different. If you give them something over $20, they are technically required to reimburse you, and perishable food items that are in excess are okay if they share with the branch office.

City-Data FAQs

Old 12-15-2010, 03:00 PM

38 posts, read 48,443 times
I know they technically aren't allowed to accept money, but they are also not supposed to visit with and check on elderly people on their routes and change their lightbulbs, etc. but frequently they do, and I'm grateful to the mailmen who always checked on my elderly family members. Sometimes it's ok to bend the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County