Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 8,388 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are currently looking for homes in Westchester County with good school districts. We are struggling to find an affordable home with a good school district. Recently, we saw some nice homes in Bedford but then found out some disturbing information about Fox Lane High school that there are gangs at the school. Does anyone know if this is the case? We know that Bedford schools are good academically but are they safe now? Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 05:55 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,552,621 times
Yes, the Bloods and Crips have a tremendous foothold in the school.

Gang initiation beat downs happen daily. The Latin Kings are trying to gain a foothold but the Sinaloa are threatening to intervene if they do.

The Mafia is staying on the sidelines as are the Westies.

Urban Dictionary: Pound Ridge, NY

Old 01-21-2011, 09:04 AM

506 posts, read 1,308,582 times
Bedford Central schools(of which I am a product) encompass the town of Pound Ridge, three of the four hamlets of the Town of Bedford (Bedford Hills, Bedford Village, and the newer hamlet of Bedford Corners, but not Katonah), and the Village of Mt. Kisco.

While Bedford Village, Pound Ridge, and Bedford Corners are pretty close to uniformly upper income, Mt Kisco and Bedford Hills are not. In fact, Bedford Corners was invented a few years ago to accommodate the people in a section of Bedford that had always had a Mt Kisco address. Certain people didn't want others to think they lived in Mt Kisco rawther than Bedford.

So anyway, there has been a large influx of hispanic immigrants into the area in the last twenty years to work in construction, landscaping, etc. Most of those immigrants and their families live in Mt Kisco or in one section of Bedford Hills.

So given that twenty years ago, when I graduated from Fox Lane, there was already a division in the school along socio-economic lines, I'd have to assume that now, with a larger racial/ethnic/linguistic component to that division, the gulf is a bit wider.

However, I find it very hard to believe that the schools are "unsafe."

Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 8,388 times
Thank you TDNY for your response. We did hear from both a high school teacher and security guard at Fox Lane High School that there is gang activity, which is hard to ignore from an inside source.

As for ponytrekker, thank you also for your response... If you at all represent people from this area, we most definitely DO NOT want to live there

Old 01-21-2011, 09:16 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,552,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj716 View Post

As for ponytrekker, thank you also for your response... If you at all represent people from this area, we most definitely DO NOT want to live there
The feeling is mutual. Bye.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:31 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,243,414 times
I would think that the gang activity is contained within specific groups, likely recent immigrants, as I have never seen anything of concern on the streets in Bedford or Mount Kisco. Some also term "gang activity" as being any sort of activity in which two or more of a specific ethnic group, whereas the same standard would not hold true for caucasians, for example. Bedford schools do not have the problems of other more urban area districts, in terms of the incidents among the population -- at least that's what I know from educators in the county.

That said, I do know people who years ago relocated from Bedford Central to Katonah-Lewisboro, moving from one side of town to the other. The reason was the relative size of the two schools, and more focused attention at K-L, to the best of my recollection. We attended private schools, so I am at a loss as to the environments of the school, first-hand, from the perspective of a past student, but you can get a quality education at either school. K-L is much more homogenized in terms of population, serving a predominantly upper middle class/affluent student base, which does tend to affect test scores, but the environment is also slightly different as the socioeconomic divides are not as great as they are in Fox Lane.

Perhaps you should call the police stations in Mount Kisco and Bedford and ask their public information officer about your concerns. They might be able to give a better picture as to the police response to the current level of activity that may be gang related.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-25-2011, 07:53 AM

2,617 posts, read 6,982,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Yes, the Bloods and Crips have a tremendous foothold in the school.

Gang initiation beat downs happen daily. The Latin Kings are trying to gain a foothold but the Sinaloa are threatening to intervene if they do.

The Mafia is staying on the sidelines as are the Westies.

Urban Dictionary: Pound Ridge, NY
I think this may be the UD entry that was supposed to come up: Urban Dictionary: pound ridge
This extends to Bedford too of course. And Fox Lane is doubtless the incubator. Very very dangerous.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:33 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,220,590 times
This discussion is beyond belief. Oh my God, there are Hispanics in the Bedford School District. I saw five of them hanging around together. Obviously they are in a gang, planning to invade one of the estates in Bedford Corners to rob and murder the owners. I better move to Katonah-Lewisboro!

Get a life people. Take a walk around downtown Mount Kisco where all the "scary" Hispanics live and hang out. Look at the stores. Look at the surroundings. Does it seem dangerous to you?

Old 01-25-2011, 10:12 PM

2,617 posts, read 6,982,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
This discussion is beyond belief. Oh my God, there are Hispanics in the Bedford School District. I saw five of them hanging around together. Obviously they are in a gang, planning to invade one of the estates in Bedford Corners to rob and murder the owners. I better move to Katonah-Lewisboro!

Get a life people. Take a walk around downtown Mount Kisco where all the "scary" Hispanics live and hang out. Look at the stores. Look at the surroundings. Does it seem dangerous to you?
Yes, exactly. Apparently you didn't see the irony in these posts.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post

I signed on because there is gang activity at Fox Lane - I know definitively via a young relative of mine. I am not saying more but it is a fact - consider your knowledge expanded.

This may be funny for adults who drive by in their lexus', but for kids who've been assaulted and threatened - it isn't funny at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County