Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 05:32 PM

21 posts, read 38,446 times

Advertisements

Me and my fiance are looking to buy a home in about a year so I'm doing research now.

I work in NYC but am thinking about white plains. Our plan is to purchase a home around 350k, but I'm not sure white plains has anything in that price range.

We have 2 dogs as well and would need a place that's at least 1k sq/ft, even though we would rather a house.

If white plains is too expensive, where else can we look, aside from New Rochelle, which I hear is sketchy. We are foodies, so we do want to be near plenty of restaurants and a lively crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 07:54 PM

20 posts, read 62,999 times
If schools are not something you have to think about for a while, then maybe look into Port Chester. You may find something in that price range there and there are tons of great restaurants.

Not sure you'll find a house in either White Plains or New Rochelle for that price.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:22 AM

218 posts, read 605,521 times
$350k is going to be tough for a single family home anywhere in Westchester. A town house further north might be your best bet. Maybe Ossining?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:56 PM

92 posts, read 359,395 times
If you don't care about having a detached home, it may be possible to find a co-op in White Plains... Another town that will definitely have condos, and possibly townhomes, in that price range with a nice downtown and a ton of food options is Mount Kisco. In the downtown area there are a ton of ethnic restaurants, including Ethiopean, Jamaican, Thai, Greek, and Indian. There are a few bars downtown, but it's definitely not as lively as White Plains or New Rochelle... however you are on the same train line as White Plains so you can always go down and have a few drinks at a bar or two and still not worry about driving home.

Another town with a ton of restaurants and a nice downtown with restaurants and a bit of an artsy feel is Peekskill. The school district never gets great reviews, but people who live there love the town. And there you can probably get a detached house in your budget.

Last edited by YanksRule; 04-24-2011 at 08:04 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 04:51 AM

413 posts, read 1,105,718 times
There are houses and coops all over the county for that price. Check out the search engines from the major real estate companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County