U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:37 AM

69 posts, read 211,075 times

Advertisements

While watching the news today about the earthquake in Japan, I thought what would happen if an earthquake hit the Kensico Dam in Valhalla?

Local news is showing flooding in White Plains from just 3 inches of rain. The Bronx River Parkway is closed from White Plains to Yonkers. Imagine if the 100 year old dam broke.

One analyst years ago stated that a 60 foot wall of water would rapidly come down the Bronx River from Valhalla to the Bronx.

Is there any warning system to alert citizens like there is for Indian Point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 12:40 PM

15,456 posts, read 17,574,952 times
We can dream ;-)

Old 03-11-2011, 12:42 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,275,329 times
LMAO , what is with all these Earthquake threads.... The Dam is very large and unlikely to fall...

Old 03-12-2011, 06:20 AM

1,557 posts, read 2,721,842 times
If an earthquake that size hit, I think people would be looking for the water from the dam to wash away the remnants of the people who got nuked from Indian Point.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:48 PM

114 posts, read 474,958 times
Eh. If an earthquake hit us, anything greater than a 3.0 magnitude, we're going to be in trouble. Nothing here is built with earthquakes in mind. As to what will happen to the Kensico dam if we were to get an earthquake... I'm not a structural engineer so I can only guess. I'm not one of those, like on the news, that will speculate over everything.

As God is my witness, I remember the local news ran a story of "could this really happen" when the network (NBC, I think) ran the move "Independence Day". Seriously? They're speculating about alien attacks now? They actually did a good portion of the newscast on this. (sigh)

Old 03-14-2011, 01:50 PM

15,456 posts, read 17,574,952 times
When I was a teenager, there was a 4.0 earthquake centered on Ardsley. No one even mentioned the dam.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:00 AM

8,992 posts, read 14,732,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
When I was a teenager, there was a 4.0 earthquake centered on Ardsley. No one even mentioned the dam.
Exactly. I think it would take at least something in the 5s to have trouble (and for those wondering, the earthquake ABQ mentions was in 1985).

Historically, there was an earthquake in 1884 centered off Rockaway Beach that was supposedly in the high 5s, close to 6. It cracked a lot of buildings in Manhattan, but not real damage/casualties because the epicenter was a very unpopulated area then.

It would probably take an earthquake like that size that is actually centered in Westchester to do this kind of trouble. MSNBC did say this morning that the NRC does consider Indian Point to be the #1 most vulnernable plant in the country though when you combine the nearby population with the relatively moderate earthquake risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioGuy93 View Post
As God is my witness, I remember the local news ran a story of "could this really happen" when the network (NBC, I think) ran the move "Independence Day". Seriously? They're speculating about alien attacks now? They actually did a good portion of the newscast on this. (sigh)
Chuck Scarborough of Channel 4 news actually wrote a fictional book speculating what would happen if a 7.0 earthquake happened on the fault that lies across 125th Street in Manhattan. There was a TV movie made from it many years ago starring Sharon Lawrence. It was a bit "sensationalist" but not too bad (a lot better than a much "campier" and more sensationalist fictional movie on the same subject made about the same time for the "ABC Family" cable channel).

Old 03-17-2011, 12:50 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,275,329 times
They upgraded most of the Bridges in Urban Jersey to handle a 6 a few years ago...

Old 03-17-2011, 07:38 AM

2,393 posts, read 5,200,688 times
The simple answer is that nobody knows. And it is unknowable until an earthquake occurs.

All the talk about designed for this or designed for that is somebody's estimate about probabilities of failure and what "failure" means. Is "failure" complete and catastrophic, such as when the walking trees in Lord Of The Rings pulled down the dam to release a wall of water on Isengard? Or an event leaving the dam structurally unsound but allowing the reservoir to be drained? The former occurs rarely. The later is much more frequent.

I myself place little stock in the safety PR statements from officials about a structure built long before they were born. On the other hand, in the past it was common engineering practice to wildly overdesign structures because the tools to calculate stresses and failures were not available. The Brooklyn Bridge is a great example.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:54 AM

124 posts, read 606,085 times
If Kensico Dam was hit, white plains and part of scardsdale will be flooded. In scarsdale village you can find out the flood zone map to see where is the likely areas. White plains would be gone for sure.
Indian Point should not impact lower Westchester as the wind never blow this way. It blows to north. So I guess Putnam, Rockland and Dutches have higher risk than NYC or lower Westchester county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County