Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 10:56 AM

374 posts, read 1,058,912 times

Advertisements

Has anyone changed electricity suppliers and can explain whether it saves you money or not? It's pretty confusing.

Here is how I naively look at it:

I look at my con edison bill and see I am getting charged 8.7396¢/kWh for the supply of electricity this month. The delivery of electrify stays Con Edison if I switch correct?

I compare that to another enegry provider. I am interested in Green Mountain because they give you a free thermostat (https://nest.com/energy-partners/green-mountain/).

I look at Green mountains rate (Westchester - Pollution Free Efficient with Nest | Green Mountain Energy Company). It's 7.9¢ per kWh + 8.95 per month.

So I check my account history and I see how many killowatts I used in 2012. Multiplied that time 8.7396c/kwatt to get my total cost per year for Con Edison to supply electricity. I don't know if this rate changes much over the course of a year?

Then I did something similar for Greenmountain and added the 8.95/month times 12 months.

So I came to the conclusion that it will cost me $75 more for GreenMountain, but I get a free $250 thermostat. Then after a year I plan to switch back to Con Edison.

Of course I didn't take into account service outages. Will Green Mountain be as dependable as Con Edison?

Any experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 10:46 AM

166 posts, read 370,276 times
Last year, there was some company sending flyers and setting up a stall in front of Mrs. Greens in Scarsdale. They were cheaper but wanted a contract for 6 months to a year. Now this Green Mountains, they knocked on my door too. The lady was so confident that she was saving me money and when I did calculations in front of her, I was ending up paying more. She goes, call our office !!!

Nest thermostat is a good idea but I am not willing to pay a dime more, so I didn't follow, but I would like to know if you go that route.

If you live in the house, you may want to consider going partly solar. A neighbor of mine leased from some company, don't know the details but she seems to be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County