U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 01:14 PM

4 posts, read 10,193 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm not from WP originally but have lived here for a couple of years. May be looking to move within the city but only have passing knowledge on different types of neighborhoods here.

Looking to find opinions on WP neighborhoods:
....best for 'community' - kids, neighbors, etc?
....good for 'peace & quiet' - older, less social?
....considered 'up and coming' (for whatever reason)?
....are best to avoid - crime or construction, etc?
....considered 'most desirable' (again, for whatever reason)?
.....hidden gems?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 06:19 AM

Default Hellooo?

Anyone out there? Would love your thoughts!!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:19 AM

205 posts, read 472,380 times
It's really going to depend on your budget. If you're looking to spend $500-$600k I'd say your best bets are the Highlands or the area back by Todd's Pond and the George Washington School. Of you're over $650K and want more space I'd say to check out the neighborhoods on either side of Mamaroneck Ave south of Ridgeway. What you see is pretty much what you get, so being that you live in WP now, take a ride around and see what you like.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:48 PM

Default Insider Kx Needed

We can afford $500-800 comfortably, and beyond that too, but its more of a stretch. But price really isn't really my blind spot area - its the character of the neighborhoods that I'm trying to find out about.

For example, I've heard that Westminster Ridge is good for families. I've heard that Gedney Manor is beautiful but faces construction nearby in the future due to the FASNY school. Etc.

So I suppose I'm looking for more insider knowledge, more than I can get from driving by (though I do drive around often!)

MANY THANKS!

Old 05-10-2011, 09:26 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,685,691 times
I second tommya's advice.

There's really only one or two parts of WP to avoid but they aren't really bad anymore (trust me, I know I had grew up in one of those parts).

Highlands is a great neighborhood to buy into in my opinion, I also feel the same way about the homes in the vicinity/around North Broadway (very close to westminster ridge). There's just one very small section of north kensico ave that has some QOL issues big time. If i'm right there's a nice private neighborhood pool/lake around there. There's also a reservoir not too far away from there, its a shame before 9/11 happened you used to could sit by it but now there's a huge fence surrounding it (for security purposes).

When you start to hit the area around Gedney Manor the homes get kind of expensive (well beyond 800k) but In my opinion there are great things about that area. You have Saxon Woods Park, which is very close by. There are also some very good schools in the vicinity like The German School, Stephinac High School and Ridgeway elementary school.

if anything is up and coming, its in the downtown blocks/vicinity. There's an influx of new residents, and new businesses.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,471 times
Can anyone tell me what the area around Gardella Park is like, just north of the Metro North train station? Is there a name for the neighborhood?

Thank you.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 PM

5 posts, read 16,013 times
I like the section that is between Scarsdale and White Plains its called Gedney pm if you need some more help

Old 05-23-2011, 08:48 AM

205 posts, read 472,380 times
TuckerN - The area aroud Gardella Park is generally referred to by the street name: Ferris Ave. To steal a phrase from wordlife, definately some quality of life issues. Personally, I'd be hesitant to buy there.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:33 PM

181 posts, read 210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitePlainser View Post
Hi - I'm not from WP originally but have lived here for a couple of years. May be looking to move within the city but only have passing knowledge on different types of neighborhoods here.

Looking to find opinions on WP neighborhoods:
....best for 'community' - kids, neighbors, etc?
....good for 'peace & quiet' - older, less social?
....considered 'up and coming' (for whatever reason)?
....are best to avoid - crime or construction, etc?
....considered 'most desirable' (again, for whatever reason)?
.....hidden gems?

Many thanks!
There are several lovely neighborhoods. Most are to the south of the City of White Plains (between Bryant Ave and Rosedale Ave.) with the exception of Westminster Ridge that boarders on N. White Plains. Gedney Farms is great (prices range from 650K to 1.1), but many streets are busy "cut through streets" for local residents and school activity i.e. buses and "mommies in a hurry". In this neighborhood consider the following streets: Sherman, Little John, Robinhood, Dupont, and particularly Ridgeway Circle (the houses are small but the neighborhood is great and it's a dead end). Be aware though, the French-American School may be building a huge campus on the old Ridgeway golf course which will bring a ton of traffic to at least the major arteries of that run through Gedney farms i.e. Ridgeway, Heatherbloom and Hathaway. The Highlands neighborhood is a little more affordable than Gedney Farms and the lots are smaller, but lovely just the same. Again, this neighborhood, like most in WP, are plagued by high "cut through" traffic. The Rosedale neighborhoods are nice, although not as charming as the others I mentioned. The big plus of the Rosedale neighborhoods is they are have less traffic with the exception of West Street and Windward (which lead to The Windward School). Basically, streets leading to a school and "cut through streets" should be avoided.

Most of the neighborhoods in WP have tons of kids, but due to the "School Choice" program and a plethora of private schools in the area, the kids are all split up with many kids not knowing other children who only live a block or two away.

Hidden gems: Gene Street, Hazelton Dr.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County