U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 8,009 times

Advertisements

I tried to rent a room in an illegal boarding house and the sub-leaser basically wouldn't give me the room promised or my money back for several weeks. Now that I have my money back, I have tried to get Mt Vernon to know that this home is being rented out illegally. It is a boarding house with people living in the attic (has no egress) and basement which is technically a cellar.

The Mt Vernon Housing Authority said they need a cell number for the owner and that they can't do much without access. Needless to say the sub-leaser who rented to me will not let the HA in. I have even called the fire department. I want to protect the fire department and future renters from the dangers of this house. Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 11:36 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,975,012 times
The irony

You knew it was illegal in the first place, so since they decided to not to rent to you, you want to report them?

Old 04-23-2011, 11:42 AM

1,487 posts, read 3,751,756 times
I thought the same thing! If you want to get even, just say so. But don't say that you wanted to protect future renters. They know exactly what they are getting themselves into - just as you did.

If anything, though, I would think that the county assessor might care. Unbelievable to me that the fire dept didn't care, though...only in Mt. Vernon!

Old 05-08-2011, 06:48 PM

Despite the way I worded that post, I didn't know it was illegal. I should've said I wanted to rent a room in what I later found out to be an illegal boarding house. I didn't know unrelated people could not rent out a large house as long as the CO wasn't exceeded!

I am naive about this as I have never had the pleasure of renting from a bunch of morons. In fact when I told them I wanted to speak to their landlord or I'd go take them to court, they told me that was fine. After telling their landlord what was going on, they finally returned me the money if I promised to sign a waiver that I wouldn't ever report them! And firefighters in Westchester have been killed in the last two or so years over a fires in which illegal walls trapped them in the building. So I'm not really doing it for selfish reasons. I already have my money back.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:26 PM

1,487 posts, read 3,751,756 times
Yes, I've heard about the firefighters, which is why I'm surprised that they didn't care. It does seem to be rampant in not-as-nice neighborhoods.

Either way, though, know that whatever you signed agreeing not to report them absolutely will not hold up in any court of law, so have at them if you want to.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post

Either way, though, know that whatever you signed agreeing not to report them absolutely will not hold up in any court of law, so have at them if you want to.
Actually when they asked me to sign that, I laughed at them. I was like "are you going to show that to a judge?"The whole thing is illegal so I denied them. Sure revenge would be sweet, but if there was a fire and they had reports on file, that would be pretty terrible especially if someone got hurt!

Thanks for the support! They said they cannot do anything because nobody will open the door when they visit and so I need a cell number for the landlord. Even if I get one, I'm pretty sure she would ignore them too! This makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County