U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 9,252 times

Advertisements

What are your opinions on the school system of this zip code? Looking into buying a house in this area and planning to start a family. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 06:22 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,678,275 times
The best way to determine if you like the schools is to visit them...don't wait to long though for the school season is ending in the next two months...visit the schools in the afternoon when everyone is getting out...especially the high school...and see if this is where you want your children to go...if you buy a book on purchasing your first house the first three things they talk about is LOCATION-LOCATION-LOCATION and one of the most important things is the schools...for you could find the perfect house in a bad school system and then have to send the kids to private school which is not cheap and you cannot deduct it off your taxes...

This site has all the schools listed and you can compare the grades determined by a state exam...some schools here in Rockland County-NY have scores in the 90's while others have scores in the 40's...so tell me...which one would you pick for your child...

Old 05-29-2011, 07:23 AM

9,002 posts, read 14,764,118 times
Generally, schools in Yonkers are considered to be "bad", though I'm sure like in every town there are exceptions of some sort. Also note that the people of this part of the country are the "pickiest" about school districts I've ever seen; some more suburban towns that many consider to be "bad" would in other parts of the US probably be the "top" school district of that area. What others say on here is sound, good luck!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:56 PM

16 posts, read 49,845 times
Smile South East Yonkers public schools, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
the people of this part of the country are the "pickiest" about school districts I've ever seen;
Warning, I am wordy.

This is a fact! We came from schools ranked 10 out of 10 in Texas, and the 4/10 school in Yonkers is better! Elementary schools are usually pretty good around Yonkers, but things can go downhill from there. My favorite is Yonkers Montessori Academy, which is public through 12th grade. So that is a very expensive option around the country, but free in Yonkers. There are also 2 other Montessori public schools in Yonkers, and many other cool schools. It depends on what works best for your kid. The problem is, as always, demand outstrips supply, and that makes it very hard to get kids into the best schools. So we overpaid on a local house just to get our kid in the lottery in year 1 (pre-k). So that was a huge risk.

Another important fact is that, adjusted for income level, Yonkers schools are better than any other school in Westchester. So if you don't have much money, but can rent in Yonkers, you get some bang for your buck. This measure relates to kids that are on college track with advanced classes.

Yonkers pays a lot for teachers, and it shows. The real issue is that Yonkers parents are less engaged than more "type-A" parents in pricier towns. But I see a dramatic shift happening. I see fathers dropping off their kids and telling them how important school is, and the homework is challenging and expected of all kids, and parents need to sign off EVERY DAY. Frankly, if I miss a day of reading with my daughter, the teacher yells at me. That is a great thing and she is right.

Tests don't reflect the social skills and love of learning these kids are building. I went to a very pricey competitive private school, and I hated everyone. Just a lot of snotty class-aware brats. Not a hint of such exclusion in Yonkers.

So take these tests with a big grain of salt.

The kids in our school run into class and are greeted with hugs from their peers. My kid can read at a 3rd grade level, do addition and some subtraction, keep a journal, sing, paint and dance and she is in Kindergarden. And she loves the homework.

Lastly, there is more diversity in Yonkers than other parts of Westchester. In an area with horrible poverty, that might not feel like diversity is good. But the issue is the poverty. In areas with working families, the diversity is clearly a positive thing, at least in my area. If you put your kid in a segregated school, you are not really teaching in a true multi-cultural way that will be needed to thrive in the future.

I just would not live in the downtown area. I live in the South East corner which is amazing. Walk to school, drop off, then walk to the train (MTA), all in 12 minutes. Lots of great pubs and other options. A rich Northern Irish culture which has been very open to even my family with a British-sounding name. There is a free pool 3 min walk away, a great large park a short drive away, 3 playgrounds. No crime, beautiful, but simple, yards, street parking, double side-walks everywhere, Irish stepdancing, no flood risk...

There are some serious taxes that relate to Yonkers, so you are subsidizing some poor kids' education, but the impact of that is taking a federal tax break and moving it into local education. It hurts, but is a good pain to have in a country that usually does not care about the poor kids. We have a small house, and I highly suggest that you go as small as you can stand.

So Yonkers does take education seriously and is improving every year.

I did much demographic research from Hartford to South Jersey, and SE Yonkers was the stand-alone winner, hands down.

And for my Manhatten friends living in closets who think I live "UPSTATE," I can pick them up or drop them off in 20 min. That's faster than their commute on the "F-train."

We also switched to 1 car, because I don't need one.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 7,235 times
Well i like my son's school it's exelent It is by Central Av.Is not one of the Montessory which are the best in Yonkers.Kahlil GibranSchool have been my best choice and my son love it he is done so much since pre-k ,they have so much homework wich it hellps alot .......but the only problem i'm having now is that because of the bad economic we all are going through (i think) Yonkers cut the pre-k program for 20011-20012 school year and i think kindergarden will be 1/2 day and i have a little one at home who will be need to go to pre-k soon and i don't know what are we are going to do .......I live in the South area of Yonkers wich is grate,everything you need it is walking distant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County