Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 11:30 AM

354 posts, read 775,920 times

Advertisements

What is the best/cheapest way to get from Boston to WP? I know Greyhound goes, but its not direct and it looks like the ride takes more than 5 hours. Its only 3 hours to go directly to the city, but that seems ridiculous to go all the way down there and then take the subway/train back up. Is there another way to go thats more direct? I'm open to other cities other than WP and I can do a pickup there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 01:40 PM

71 posts, read 229,300 times
You can take Amtrak from New Rochelle up to Boston. Much more expensive than the bus, but a lot nicer!

Old 05-27-2011, 04:15 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
If you are willing to pay for Metro North to take you from Manhattan to White Plains, there are a lot of cheap buses from Boston. Megabus, Fung Wah, Bolt are just a few of them.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:02 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Book 14 days in Advanced and you can get a lower price , also if you have AAA or another club card you can also get discounts. I payed 49$ for Newark to South Station back in January. They might have lower deals.....you never know. Theres a few Bus lines that connect in New Rochelle that will take you to WP if i'm not mistaken.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:26 AM

I don't mind the train, but don't all those buses either go to Penn or Chinatown? By the time you get from there to GCT, wait for the train, etc, it tacks on another hour or more to the trip. Then its probably just worth it to suck up the 5 hours and go right to White Plains. I was hoping maybe there was a more direct bus route to another place in Westchester and then I can go pick up my friend there.

I know train is best, but its just prohibitively expensive. How about that high speed rail!?? ;-)

Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
I don't mind the train, but don't all those buses either go to Penn or Chinatown? By the time you get from there to GCT, wait for the train, etc, it tacks on another hour or more to the trip. Then its probably just worth it to suck up the 5 hours and go right to White Plains. I was hoping maybe there was a more direct bus route to another place in Westchester and then I can go pick up my friend there.

I know train is best, but its just prohibitively expensive. How about that high speed rail!?? ;-)
Theres no HSR, but i always take Amtrak Regional. It gives you more options to get dropped off before NY , so avoid that mess. Yes all buses go to Downtown , while some go to Midtown. The Midtown Intercity Buses ive noticed come from the west. Trains run between 5.30am-1am from and to GCT , express trains run every hr. WP , New Rochelle are major hubs or stations for buses and trains. So i would just take Northeast Regional from Boston to New Rochelle then switch to the 60 or 62 Bee line Bus which runs between The Bronx - New Rochelle - Downtown White Plains.

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/rte_62_timetable.pdf (broken link)

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/rte_60_timetable.pdf (broken link)

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/beelinesystemmap.pdf (broken link)

Old 05-27-2011, 09:56 AM

I was making a sarcastic joke about high speed rail. If "regular rail" isn't cost effective, how can they ever make high speed rail cost effective? Amtrak is just a little less than flying a lot of time. My friend who is coming in is a student and can't afford to pay for the train - so we're trying to decide if she should take a 5 hour bus ride to WP, or a 3 hour bus ride to the city +metro north back up. Ideally, there would be a 3-3.5 hr bus ride to somewhere in Westchester, but I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:12 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
I was making a sarcastic joke about high speed rail. If "regular rail" isn't cost effective, how can they ever make high speed rail cost effective? Amtrak is just a little less than flying a lot of time. My friend who is coming in is a student and can't afford to pay for the train - so we're trying to decide if she should take a 5 hour bus ride to WP, or a 3 hour bus ride to the city +metro north back up. Ideally, there would be a 3-3.5 hr bus ride to somewhere in Westchester, but I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks for the help everyone.
OK here is an idea listening Take I-bus to stamford then metro-north to new haven get greyhound from there to boston. Or give up and head to manhattan!!!!! SORRY!!! ur screwed I mostly agreed with nexis as the amtrak is most convenient for this take I-bus to stamford then train. But check if there are faster buses From hartford if all else fails head to manhattan buddy. Or Metro-north from stamford via Ibus to new haven and get amtrak for $8 or $13 to reach hartford service is limited and you have to time it right with the hartford greyhounds to make it work or if all else fails you have manhattan always. There is always amtrak to hartford from new haven. However that is all I can help u with. Lets face it amtrak is run by monkeys!!!!! Its cheaper to go to buffalo than it is to travel the northeast corridor and that is just sad!!!!

Old 06-03-2011, 12:15 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Theres no HSR, but i always take Amtrak Regional. It gives you more options to get dropped off before NY , so avoid that mess. Yes all buses go to Downtown , while some go to Midtown. The Midtown Intercity Buses ive noticed come from the west. Trains run between 5.30am-1am from and to GCT , express trains run every hr. WP , New Rochelle are major hubs or stations for buses and trains. So i would just take Northeast Regional from Boston to New Rochelle then switch to the 60 or 62 Bee line Bus which runs between The Bronx - New Rochelle - Downtown White Plains.

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/rte_62_timetable.pdf (broken link)

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/rte_60_timetable.pdf (broken link)

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/beelinesystemmap.pdf (broken link)
problem 62 only runs at PM rush!!! If the OP is travelling any other time then they are better off heading to stamford to get amtrak from the I-bus unlike the 62 the I-bus runs ALLDAY and 7 Days a week. The 60 line is well SLOW. bee line bus = SLOW its sad that their express service is so terrible but that is the truth. I say nexis you are good but you left out one detail about the I-bus which is a better ride than the 62 and more flexible too.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:13 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Glad I got a job and can drive myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County