Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,390 times

Advertisements

We're excited about the River Towns, particularly Hastings, but I don't really know much about what the schools are like. I want my kids (still little) to have classes that are not only challenging but also somewhat creative, inspiring them to be curious and love learning and work independently. I went to private school myself. Can suburban public schools that are touted as good offer this experience?
My sister recently moved to a neighborhood just for the highly praised schools (in another state) and then had a bad experience with her daughter's kindergarten (substitute teachers for the first six weeks of school and then an uninspired teacher). I'm expecting better--but how much better, and how can I find out more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 07:42 AM

374 posts, read 1,058,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynviatulsa View Post
We're excited about the River Towns, particularly Hastings, but I don't really know much about what the schools are like. I want my kids (still little) to have classes that are not only challenging but also somewhat creative, inspiring them to be curious and love learning and work independently. I went to private school myself. Can suburban public schools that are touted as good offer this experience?
My sister recently moved to a neighborhood just for the highly praised schools (in another state) and then had a bad experience with her daughter's kindergarten (substitute teachers for the first six weeks of school and then an uninspired teacher). I'm expecting better--but how much better, and how can I find out more?
If you don't want to risk it, why not just put your child in a private school?

To increase your confidence level, do a search and read some other posts. But you'll never have a 100% guarantee. Life is full of risks, nothing is certain.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:14 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
After much thought and analysis, and using a rigorous process of reductive geometric logic, I suggest that the following are your only possible options:
  1. private schools
  2. move
  3. accept them as they are.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:39 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,495 times
You'd have to tour the schools yourself, but basically kletterman is right.

Just know that even though the Rivertowns are more artsy, the curriculum is pretty much the same. All schools in Westchester adhere to the same standards and have little flexibility as to creativity. Honestly, I think that private schools are the only way to truly get the kind of experience that you might seek (or maybe charter/magnet but we don't have many of those).

Clearly we have much higher standards for teaching than many other districts, but I don't think that you can eliminate the possibility of substitutes or less than stellar teachers in even the top districts.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:57 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,917 times
Because of their need to follow state curriculums and standards, Public schools can't provide the kind of emergent curriculum and project approach that you can get in the best progressive private schools like Bank Street. Public Schools do actually have flexibility in how they teach the curriculum and meet the standards, and you will find second grade classes (for example) approaching the same subject and skills in different ways. Nonetheless, I doubt even the most creative teacher could figure out how to meet, track, and assess all the grade 2 ELA standards in a three month investigation of vehicles (for example). So if you want a really open-ended, child-centered approach, progressive private schools are your best bet. However, there aren't that many of them around anymore as most have become very skills focused and much more traditional in their teaching styles. (Anyone see that scary article in yesterday's NY Times about parents spending up to 100K on private tutors to help kids get A's at their private schools?)

I went to some of the better progressive schools (of the time) in the city and am a great believer in progressive education. But I have been very happy with the education my son has gotten so far in public school. Last night I went to the annual school art show and as always was impressed by the variety and quality of the kids' work. It certainly tops what I did in school.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynviatulsa View Post
Straight answer: No.

You'll have to go private and even then, pick among very expensive ones.

That said, there are private schools that offer small class sizes, individual attention and academic challenge, and teachers who are inspiring and enthusiastic that don't cost as much. The learning approach is traditional though. But even at this level, district public schools can't compare.

It's things like being somewhat creative and trying new ways to teaching that will narrow your list down to more expensive private schools like LRS and Mandell.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:14 PM

38 posts, read 125,506 times
My suggestion is to go visit the schools.. Visit the town, ride around the neighborhood, stop and have lunch or dinner somewhere, talk with people and get a feel for the community..

Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 PM

92 posts, read 359,509 times
You can rent for a year also- this way if you don't like the schools, you can always move, and if you do, make it permanent. This could be hard for kids deal with the uprooting, though.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 AM

506 posts, read 1,313,266 times
As a Rivertown parent my main complaint with the schools (Irvington) is excessive PC'ness and an irritating "everybody wins" view of everything.

A former principal of the K-3 school actually tried to rename Thanksgiving "Gratitude Day" supposedly because it was confusing for some of the foreign born students. Fortunately the teachers ignored her on that one.

Teaching children that everybody wins is asinine, IMO.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:51 AM

220 posts, read 371,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksRule View Post
You can rent for a year also- this way if you don't like the schools, you can always move, and if you do, make it permanent. This could be hard for kids deal with the uprooting, though.
If your kids are very small, <5, I'd stay put for 3-4 years. Moving a lot with small children is traumatic for them. My five-year-old niece would tell you that. Home school, if possible. If not, kids aren't made of glass and fluff. A good public school for a few years while you research educational opportunities isn't going to ruin their chances for a bright future. The most successful people I know, maybe it's just my experience, had a lot of disadvantages and the option of private vs. public schools wasn't even in their universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: