Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 06:41 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,073 times

Advertisements

We saw a home we are considering in the Greenacres section of Scarsdale, but are wondering about train access. It seems pretty far from the Scarsdale station, so that wouldn't be our ideal one to use if we don't have to. If we did, though, how bad would the traffic be (door to door)?

Alternately, I've been told that we can park at the Hartsdale station but not only is it $1500 a year (seems very high coming from Mamaroneck where it's less than $450) but I would assume that it would be hard to get into since I always see people on here from Ardsley complaining about lack of train access. How are permits there allocated (lottery, 1st come?) and if we were to get a quarterly permit, does it renew automatically or do we have to wonder 4x a year if we'll get lucky again?

Do they have a bus that runs along Fenimore or the Post Road to the station? We would probably be no more than a mile away but it's up a very steep hill so walking isn't ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:46 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,283 times
I live in the Greenacres section of Scarsdale. We live very close to the Hartsdale train station though, barely a 5 minute walk, so we haven't had to park there. There are permits available for Scarsdale village residents, for $350 per quarter, and there is meter parking too. From what I gather your renewal is automatic, but I'd call to confirm. This website has the info: Hartsdale Public Parking District

It is beneficial to get on in Hartsdale because you get a seat. A lot of the rush hour trains originate in Hartsdale, and by Scarsdale it's standing room only. (e.g. the 7:58 am train goes Hartsdale-Scarsdale-GCT)

We got a permit for Scarsdale when we first moved here but never used it so we didn't renew it. I believe it was around $1200 for the year at the Christie Place lot. Traffic is negligible driving down through Fox Meadow (pick a street or go down on the BRP), but the traffic in the village is terrible because of all the construction. So it depends on where you are going.

There is no bus on Fenimore, and actually, traffic is pretty bad on Fenimore at peak times. I've seen it bumper to bumper the entire way from Post Road to Hartsdale, in both directions (okay, that's rare, but it IS busy). However, if you're in Greenacres you can get over to Walworth and then you miss most of the traffic.

If you have any specific questions feel free to send me a message!

Old 06-12-2011, 12:08 AM

92 posts, read 359,361 times
You can also look into White Plains- while the drive is a little out of the way, a lot of the trains run express from WP just stopping at 125th and GCT and visa-versa in the afternoon. Plus there are a TON of trains that stop at White Plains- many more than Hartsdale/Scarsdale. Pricing isn't terrible- When I lived there up until last year, I had a 24 hour one (convenient to not have to worry about meters on weekends there) and it was $1,200 a year. Weekday only would obviously be less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County