U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 9,033 times

Advertisements

hello

I am looking to attend westchester community college and was wondering if it would be feasible to commute from manhattan to the school using public transportation? If anyone has an estimate or experience on how long it would take it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 08:05 PM

3,853 posts, read 7,605,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shkevin View Post
hello

I am looking to attend westchester community college and was wondering if it would be feasible to commute from manhattan to the school using public transportation? If anyone has an estimate or experience on how long it would take it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.
According to Google Transit, the commute from Grand Central would be 39 minutes to the Valhalla station and then a 26 minute walk to the college itself.

However, I think a faster way would be to take the train to White Plains and then transfer to the W15, W40 or W41 buses.

Here is a map of the Westchester Transit system: http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/beelinesystemmap.pdf (broken link)

Here are the schedules for the buses that you would need:
http://transportation.westchestergov..._timetable.pdf (W15)
http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/rte_40_timetable.pdf (broken link) (W40)
http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/rte_41_timetable.pdf (broken link) (W41)
MNR Schedules (Go to the Harlem Line schedules)

Old 06-16-2011, 08:05 PM

151 posts, read 282,374 times
I am not sure but from the Bronx to WCC by car is 35-45 min depending on traffic.
Sorry I can't help you with the public transportation info.
WCC has extension centers in Mt. Vernon, Yonkers and New Rochelle which are a lot closer to you than Valhalla. But you have to check if they offer any classes you need at those locations.

Good luck to you

Old 06-17-2011, 12:13 PM

92 posts, read 313,140 times
It's an $11 taxi ride from White Plains station to WCC.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:43 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,260,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksRule View Post
It's an $11 taxi ride from White Plains station to WCC.
ur joking right??? taxi= useless just use the BL40 like all the smart ppl

Old 06-24-2011, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 11,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shkevin View Post
hello

thanks in advance.
I live in Yonkers the best way to get to WCC is to take the subway the 1 train to 242nd st and then take the 1C a bus that goes straight to WCC, its a pretty long commute. You could also take metro north to the yonkers station and then catch the 1C bus.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskobaby View Post
I live in Yonkers the best way to get to WCC is to take the subway the 1 train to 242nd st and then take the 1C a bus that goes straight to WCC, its a pretty long commute. You could also take metro north to the yonkers station and then catch the 1C bus.
wrong answer metro north to white plains for BL40 makes sense using 1C makes NO SENSE

Old 06-24-2011, 05:07 PM

3 posts, read 11,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post

wrong answer metro north to white plains for BL40 makes sense using 1C makes NO SENSE
Well it does depend where the person lives in manhattan like if metro north is close to them and it also depends on budget being a student myself I can't afford to use metro north daily.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:30 PM

3,853 posts, read 7,605,235 times
Quote:
Well it does depend where the person lives in manhattan like if metro north is close to them and it also depends on budget being a student myself I can't afford to use metro north daily.
That would only work if he lived in Washington Heights or Inwood. Otherwise, taking the (2) to 241st Street for the BL-40/41 is faster than going to the 1C (or if he lives on the East Side, he could take the (5) to East 180th Street for the (2).

Maybe if he could time the schedule right, an option in the middle (price-wise and time-wise) is to take the (2) train to 233rd Street and then walk over to the Woodlawn Metro-North station and take the train to White Plains, where he can take the BL-15/40/41.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Daily metro-north is $229 thats less than the BXM4C!!!! Plus it's not worth the insanely long trip plus train service to woodlawn is horrid and infrequent. Smart ppl use either fordham or just 125th or grand central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County