U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 01:01 PM

3 posts, read 5,549 times

Advertisements

I got a job in Mt Kisco and am deciding about where I should look for apartments.

Can you please give suggestions based on the following information:

1. I am single in late-20's. So schools etc. does not matter.
2. In general, will prefer to commute via subway/ trains.
3. Hoping to find a reasonably good 2-bedroom apartment in the range of $1300-$1500. By "reasonably good" I mean, at least good heating, A/C etc.
5. Would like to stay closer to the city. So may be up to 50 minutes train distance from Mt. Kisco.

Thanks in advance.

Niks
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 02:50 PM

19 posts, read 44,334 times
That's an easy one. You should look in White Plains and Bronxville. Both are on the same train line as Mount Kisco (Metro North Harlem line). Both are closer to the city (WP is ~35 minutes, BV is ~20 minutes to Grand Central Terminal).

White Plains more diverse in the city center with big box retail and movie theaters etc all within walking distance. Bronxville more of an upscale, small town feel, but walking distance to Yonkers with a wide range of housing stock and VERY CLOSE to NYC. Good luck.

N.B. I hope your new place of employment is within walking distance of the Mt. Kisco train station!

Old 06-25-2011, 09:45 AM

Thanks ebeleye for your reply.
We saw lot of apartment available in Fleetwood train station. How is that area in terms of safety?
We will like to be near the station. Are the areas near the station safe in places like Crestwood, Tuckhoe, Fleetwood and Mt Vermon West?

Thanks again for your help.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,851 times
Default 2 bedroom apartment

I am in the same situation searching for a 2 bedroom apartment with a job in Mt. Kisco. I do not want to spend more than 1800 for rent. I want to be as close to city as possible but not commute too much 50 minutes or a little more by metro should be OK. I plan to use Harlem line of Metro North Railroad or bus. I was looking for apartments near stations like Fleetwood, Bronxville, Mt. Vernon West, Yonkers (that is a bit far for walking and I am not sure will there be bus connections to station on this line). I am ready to go a little further south also. Though people say some of those areas are not so safe - which metro stations and near by areas I should choose.
Another choice I wanted to make, I like large residential complex and well carpeted apartments and properly maintained buildings with a little urban feeling around it . I thought in NY city and surroundings there should be many such choices. But I could not find any? Any advice about it?

Old 06-25-2011, 05:10 PM

3,853 posts, read 7,600,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disfor View Post
I am in the same situation searching for a 2 bedroom apartment with a job in Mt. Kisco. I do not want to spend more than 1800 for rent. I want to be as close to city as possible but not commute too much 50 minutes or a little more by metro should be OK. I plan to use Harlem line of Metro North Railroad or bus. I was looking for apartments near stations like Fleetwood, Bronxville, Mt. Vernon West, Yonkers (that is a bit far for walking and I am not sure will there be bus connections to station on this line). I am ready to go a little further south also. Though people say some of those areas are not so safe - which metro stations and near by areas I should choose.
Another choice I wanted to make, I like large residential complex and well carpeted apartments and properly maintained buildings with a little urban feeling around it . I thought in NY city and surroundings there should be many such choices. But I could not find any? Any advice about it?
Here is a map of the Westchester Transit system: http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/beelinesystemmap.pdf (broken link)

Yonkers does have buses that connect with the Metro-North Harlem Line: The 7, 8, 25, and 30 all provide east-west service, connecting different parts of Yonkers to the Harlem Line. The 5 and 20/21 travel north-south and connect with the Metro-North at White Plains (though the trip on the bus can be kind of long)

Old 06-27-2011, 07:54 PM

I am not sure about the area immediately surrounding the Fleetwood station. But Fleetwood itself is perfectly safe. Same for Tuckaoe and Crestwood. I am not sure about Mount Vernon West (don't know that area). I'd just ask around.

You could also feasibly move to Harlem and catch the train at 125th street. But your budget won't afford 2 bedrooms, you'd have to compromise on space. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 PM

And, make sure you stay on the train line. You don't want to be taking a bus!

Old 06-28-2011, 03:38 PM

8,997 posts, read 14,754,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeleye View Post
I am not sure about the area immediately surrounding the Fleetwood station. But Fleetwood itself is perfectly safe. Same for Tuckaoe and Crestwood. I am not sure about Mount Vernon West (don't know that area). I'd just ask around.

You could also feasibly move to Harlem and catch the train at 125th street. But your budget won't afford 2 bedrooms, you'd have to compromise on space. Good luck!
Fleetwood is fine and actually a perfect choice for you. Walkable to a train to Mt. Kisco, inexpensive (for this area) apartments, lots of shopping and restaurants nearby. Mt. Vernon West area is a whole different area altogether and I wouldn't recommend it. Good luck!

Old 06-28-2011, 05:06 PM

Thank you all for the replies.
After talking with some realtors and looking online, it seems that white plains area is very expensive for us right now.
Fleetwood looks ideal choice for us right now. Hopefully we can find a good apartment there.
Will update here after we make the decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County