U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2011, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Essex County, NJ
118 posts, read 278,942 times
Reputation: 67

Advertisements

I have a job offer in the Wall st area of NYC. Is it reasonable to commute from say White Plains or any surrounding cities by train then the 4?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2011, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,853 posts, read 7,606,398 times
Reputation: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_MTB View Post
I have a job offer in the Wall st area of NYC. Is it reasonable to commute from say White Plains or any surrounding cities by train then the 4?
Yes, I would say that it is a reasonable commute. The Metro-North runs fairly frequently, and then it is a short hop on the (4) or (5) and you're at work. The total trip time should be around an hour and a half, plus the time spent getting to White Plains.

Just a tip: Stay south of North White Plains to keep your options open. Service north of there is more infrequent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 11:50 PM
 
2,046 posts, read 4,260,778 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Yes, I would say that it is a reasonable commute. The Metro-North runs fairly frequently, and then it is a short hop on the (4) or (5) and you're at work. The total trip time should be around an hour and a half, plus the time spent getting to White Plains.

Just a tip: Stay south of North White Plains to keep your options open. Service north of there is more infrequent.
Actually service north of north white plains is frequent upto southeast that is. I don't think the OP wants to be on a local train cause south of white plains only local trains stop south of white plains. The best station is white plains byfar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 12:20 AM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,853 posts, read 7,606,398 times
Reputation: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
Actually service north of north white plains is frequent upto southeast that is. I don't think the OP wants to be on a local train cause south of white plains only local trains stop south of white plains. The best station is white plains byfar
But you do have more options in White Plains/North White Plains (rather than going further north). The locals could come in handy if your intended express is cancelled and/or too crowded to get on (If I recall correctly, the Harlem Line is 2 tracks, so the train that starts in front will remain in the front).

I do agree that if he can find a place near White Plains/North White Plains, that would be ideal (especially since he wants to keep the commute relatively short)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Bellevue, WA
1,487 posts, read 3,736,597 times
Reputation: 563
I'm assuming that you've ruled out NJ, yes? The commute from there to Wall Street is far more palatable than Westchester, IMO, and you get more for your money there. There are beautiful areas there near Summit and Milburn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Essex County, NJ
118 posts, read 278,942 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
I'm assuming that you've ruled out NJ, yes? The commute from there to Wall Street is far more palatable than Westchester, IMO, and you get more for your money there. There are beautiful areas there near Summit and Milburn.
Thanks, those are the exact cities I was looking at in NJ. I am originally from Westchester so that was my first thought when considering moving back but NJ is now where I am looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 08:32 PM
 
2,046 posts, read 4,260,778 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_MTB View Post
Thanks, those are the exact cities I was looking at in NJ. I am originally from Westchester so that was my first thought when considering moving back but NJ is now where I am looking.
NJT buses accept rail passes too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2011, 10:57 PM
 
506 posts, read 1,155,218 times
Reputation: 333
I did the commute from Westchester to Wall st for many years. It's definitely not as good commuting from there as it is from NJ. However, it's not too bad from WP and vicinity. It's about 30 minutes on the train and another 10-15 on the subway. That doesn't count time spent going to and from the train stations etc...so it really depends on how far you are from the train on both ends.

The biggest thing I didn't like about that commute was the 4-5 subway on the way home. It's ****ing PACKED at high rush hour, so much that it can be hard to board the subway when the doors open up.

My solution was to drive. It took me 35 minutes in from Irvington (I went in early) and about 1 hour home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2011, 06:01 AM
 
1,562 posts, read 2,733,288 times
Reputation: 1537
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
I did the commute from Westchester to Wall st for many years. It's definitely not as good commuting from there as it is from NJ. However, it's not too bad from WP and vicinity. It's about 30 minutes on the train and another 10-15 on the subway. That doesn't count time spent going to and from the train stations etc...so it really depends on how far you are from the train on both ends.

The biggest thing I didn't like about that commute was the 4-5 subway on the way home. It's ****ing PACKED at high rush hour, so much that it can be hard to board the subway when the doors open up.

My solution was to drive. It took me 35 minutes in from Irvington (I went in early) and about 1 hour home.
The key to driving to downtown (I did it for 10 years before my office moved) is it's easiest if your office is closest to one of the rivers. I was 50 feet from the FDR making it possible.

Oh, and subsidized parking. Though when you think of it, a train ticket w subway is about $320 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 09:45 PM
 
414 posts, read 174,056 times
Reputation: 299
I commute to the Wall St. area from Scarsdale. 27 min on Metro North, 15 on the subway. It is not bad at all. I was quite worried about it when I moved here from the city, but is has been fine. Metro north is comfortable and relaxing, not once have I even encountered a rude person yacking on their phone. This is in stark contrast to my coworkers from LI and NJ who come in complaining about rude people everyday. I've ridden enough LIRR to verify that, though I have no experience with NJtransit.

Anyway, don;t rule out southern Westchester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:55 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top