U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:20 PM

4 posts, read 8,869 times

Advertisements

Hi jjinla,

You're a riot! I have heard some less than positive things about Long Island lately. I grew up in Garden City, but I have an aunt in Dix Hills that is complaining about an increase in crime in the area. I'll make certain to check the boards. Actually, however I was thinking of Great Neck if I decided to stay downstate. Out of curiosity, what have you heard about Long Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 08:12 AM

258 posts, read 773,819 times
I love Great Neck! It is a great town. I love it there. I couldn't get my dh to go to Long Island (he was working in Rockville Centre which is another great town) because he hated being over a bridge. He felt that in an emergency, it would be insane trying to get out of there! As you can see, he is a bit of a worry wart.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:27 AM

1,487 posts, read 3,740,307 times
Great Neck is very nice, but overall I have heard that crime is on the upswing there (LI, not necessarily GN). As for negatives, traffic is a disaster, the LIRR is always having issues, and Nassau is indeed having major financial problems so it's anyone's guess whether taxes will spike or services will get a major cut.

In contrast, traffic is almost nil in Westchester due to good city planning and the fact that really, there isn't much here to draw people in from outside of the area (unless you want to get to CT.) Our beaches stink and shopping is really substandard but adequate if you live here. However, our government and schools are very well run and the Metro North is by far the best commuting option to midtown at least. Really, there isn't anything sexy about living here - it's just a great place to raise a family.

To me it also boiled down to the people, though. People in my area at least are much more laid back with their money, and they have plenty of it but just don't make it an issue. In contrast, I found many of the people I've met from LI (with money at least) to be far more ostentatious about it and are much louder and in your face. But I'm not originally from NY, so all NYers seem somewhat loud to me.

Last edited by jjinla; 07-19-2011 at 09:36 AM..

Old 07-23-2011, 03:14 PM

56,327 posts, read 80,558,485 times
What about Mt. Kisco, Bedford(Fox Lane), Valhalla, Pelham or Tuckahoe? I think Tuckahoe would be a good choice in terms of being small, but having Soccer and Basketball, as well as being a very good school district and being in Southern Westchester county, will make for a shorter commute. Welcome to Tuckahoe High School - A Promise to Prepare for Tomorrow
Tuckahoe High School, Eastchester New York / NY School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
Test Scores for Tuckahoe Union Free School District | GreatSchools
https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0302030002.pdf

Here are some websites that can help you out in terms of finding what you are looking for: New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2010&county=Westchester (broken link)

New York Schools - Find a Public or Private New York School - SchoolDigger.com

School Information & Ratings on SchoolFinder

Old 07-23-2011, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 986 times
I have been away from my childhood home of Hartsdale for 19 years. I have a 2nd interview for a job in Suffern (Rockland Co) on Wednesday. I'm looking to rent a tiny house with a yard (relocating with 2 active dogs) any suggestions on areas in Westchester or Rockland? Since I'll be going against traffic in the AM, I willing to consider many points along 9A.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:17 PM

6,993 posts, read 9,511,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncloud9 View Post
Hi jjinla,

You're a riot! I have heard some less than positive things about Long Island lately. I grew up in Garden City, but I have an aunt in Dix Hills that is complaining about an increase in crime in the area. I'll make certain to check the boards. Actually, however I was thinking of Great Neck if I decided to stay downstate. Out of curiosity, what have you heard about Long Island?
Great Neck is heavily Jewish, if that has any value to you. Why not Garden City where you grew up? Prices there are a little more reasonable than GN. Further out, there is Huntington Village and Sea Cliff, both very beautiful neighborhoods. However, taxes are just as high as Westchester in any of these places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County