Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 08:03 AM

60 posts, read 304,962 times

Advertisements

Schooldigger.com ratings came in and in the Yorktown/Cortlandt area, Walter Panas HS came in with 5/5 stars- same as other top notch schools like John Jay, Briarcliff, Byram Hills, Pleasantville. Congrats Panas for beating out Lakeland and Yorktown! Let the facts speak for themselves.

New York Schools - Find a Public or Private New York School - SchoolDigger.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 09:16 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast2GA View Post
Schooldigger.com ratings came in and in the Yorktown/Cortlandt area, Walter Panas HS came in with 5/5 stars- same as other top notch schools like John Jay, Briarcliff, Byram Hills, Pleasantville. Congrats Panas for beating out Lakeland and Yorktown! Let the facts speak for themselves.

New York Schools - Find a Public or Private New York School - SchoolDigger.com

And on GreatSchools.org Panas gets a 7 out of 10--the same as Lakeland, and lower than Yorktown and Croton-Harmon (both an 8) and John Jay (9). Overall the Lakeland District (which includes Panas) gets an 8 (the same as Croton, but lower than Yorktown and Katonah-Lewisboro, both of which get a 9).

GreatSchools.org Search: panas high school

The "facts" always depend on how you weigh them. People on this site love to say which schools are better and best, but the only real fact is that you cannot quantify and classify the quality of an education.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 AM

258 posts, read 907,888 times
I am happy Pleasantville did so well. It helps property values! They didn't rank the elementary school for some reason. I never heard of Quoge NY (ranked #1 in NY). I looked it up and it is in or by the Hamptons. I am not that familiar with LI. It's interesting that Central Westchester really ranked the best of Westchester. On these boards, most people seem to feel that Scarsdale and Rye are tops but not on this list. Chappaqua, Pleasantville and Briarcliff did better but I am sure you can switch up the criteria and get a different result. It really is splitting hairs!

I looked at the worst schools in NY and they were special ed schools. That drives me crazy! How can you say that a school that teaches a special needs population is the worst in the city. Those schools need different criteria. They can be amazing schools where kids make tons of progress but it is not measured in the same way as a regular ed school. Great schools does the same thing. It always annoys me as an educator. Some of the best schools are G & T schools in the city which also should be judged differently. Anderson only accepts kids with very high IQs or who pass the G & T tests so of course the kids are successful on standardized tests. If they weren't, they couldn't go in the first place. Special Ed schools and G & T schools should be categorized separately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County