Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 03:07 PM

10 posts, read 33,668 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a useful link or insights re private (including Catholic) schools in or near White Plains for a Kindgergarten program. Tuition (even approximations) would be helpful, too.

Also interested in hearing thoughts about White Plains public school Kindergarten program.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 04:31 PM

354 posts, read 770,306 times
Our son was in the public pre-K program this year in WP and will be starting kindergarten next year. So, I can't speak from direct experience yet, but I will say we were pleasantly surprised with the pre-K program. His teacher was fantastic and he really developed well in that program. I was really impressed by some of the things they were doing in the class.

As for kindergarten, we took tours of all the schools and were also impressed by what we saw there. I also spoke to other parents who were happy with the program, so I have some high expectations. I will post here in a few months about the experience.

H

Old 01-24-2012, 11:07 AM

356 posts, read 365,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbandad View Post
Does anyone have a useful link or insights re private (including Catholic) schools in or near White Plains for a Kindgergarten program. Tuition (even approximations) would be helpful, too.

Also interested in hearing thoughts about White Plains public school Kindergarten program.

Thanks!
I have one child who went to public kindergarten and one that went to Catholic kindergarten. Two Catholic schools in WP are Our Lady of Sorrows and Good Counsel. Our Lady of Sorrows (OLS) cost $5700 for parishioners and $6400 for non-parishioners. I think Good Councel is a little less. About 90% of OLS's students are from White Plains. Good Counsel attracts students from all over Westchester County.

With WP being a city, there is quite a disparity between the students in public school. The kindergarten teachers in both schools were excellent, but in my experience, the teachers in the public school were forced to teach to the lowest common denominator. While my child was happy in public kindergarten, she spent almost the entire year learning what she had already learned in nursery school and was not challenged. My other child who went to private Catholic kindergarten had the opposite experience and learned a great deal. When the children get older, the public schools do offer "pull-out" groups for the children who are ready for more difficult material. Unfortunately, they do not do this at the kindergarten level.

Socially their experiences were also quite different. My child who went to public school got invited to very few playdates and birthday parties, while my child who went to private got invited to tons. I think this had a lot to do with the language barrier between the Spanish-speaking parents and the English-speaking parents.

I hope this helped. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: