U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:33 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,737,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Interestingly, I think it's partly socioeconomic. . . .

Still, for all I know there may be differences from town to town.
kind of true.

Parents in the more affluent areas aren't so much scared that the kids will get kidnapped as they are that the kids will fall behind academically, athletically or socially.

I think most kids in this area wouldn't even know how to play a game of pick up basketball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 07:54 PM
VRV VRV started this thread

73 posts, read 193,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
kind of true.

Parents in the more affluent areas aren't so much scared that the kids will get kidnapped as they are that the kids will fall behind academically, athletically or socially.

I think most kids in this area wouldn't even know how to play a game of pick up basketball.
That kind of learning and development is much more powerful when they learn it on their own in the great outdoors without someone micromanaging their every move. One story that struck me from a book entitled Last Child in the Woods was about a woman's memories of her childhood. She remembered it as full of magical experiences with nature. When she discussed it with her mother, she realized her childhood was actually much like that of children today from one scheduled activity to another, but her most vivid, powerful memories came from those few and far between instances that she was allowed to explore, be on her own, get dirty. I feel the same about my childhood. Not that much nature and freedom but enough to make me nostalgic and realize the value- which is why it's become so important to me to provide that for my kids. By being alone with nature and with other children (and by alone I mean without an adult hovering, organizing, or participating) children experience the world in a more profound way - with all their senses. It cannot be compared with any other kind of learning.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:59 PM
VRV VRV started this thread

73 posts, read 193,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
As I was reading the comments about how kids never play outside anymore I kept think "where do these people live??" Then I decided to ask my son what he thinks, but I couldn't find him. Turns out he was outside, in the rain, building a twig fort under the pine trees.

My son is back inside now. He said that he spends more time playing outside than in classes. And he wanted to know if camp counted since so far this summer he's been in nature camp spending all day hiking and in sailing camp, but I said camp didn't count.
You must tell me about that nature camp!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:09 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,558,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRV View Post
You must tell me about that nature camp!
It's at Teatown Lake Reservation in southern Yorktown. The camp is great. They explore the local creatures and flaura and fauna, do lots of hiking, and learn lots of useful skills for being out in the natural world. For some ages teatown also has programs at their farm, Clifdale. And there are regular weekend programs for kids. My son has been doing the camp since he was 3 and he loves it.

Teatown Lake Reservation / What We Do - Environmental Education - Adults

Another local place for nature camps and programs is Hilltop Hanover Farm in Yorktown.
Hilltop Hanover Farm - Programs (http://www.hilltophanoverfarm.org/programs.html - broken link)

Also Westmoreland Sanctuary in Mt Kisco has good programs, but no camp.

Westmoreland Sanctuary

And of Stone Barns has lots of programs too.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:39 AM

6,993 posts, read 9,511,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRV View Post
The house I am buying has been under repair for 5 months and I have visited it countless times, morning, afternoon, summer, winter. All the neighbors have kids but I have not once seen them playing outside. Come to think of it, I don't really see many kids playing outside in my drives through Chappaqua at all. It's kind of the point of moving out of the city for me so I'm bummed my kids won't have playmates. Is it just me? Where are all the kids?
You can always arrange for supervised playdates. I'm not surprised if there are parents who would not let their children play unsupervised by a guardian outside spontaneouesly, even in affluent suburbs. Call it isolated cases but few want their kids to be the next Etan Patz or Jaycee Duggard. There are people lurkig out there, even in good neighborhoods, who would want to kill you and your family and/or steal what is yours. Better be safe than sorry.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:44 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 8,136,905 times
On my road the kids play outside in the summer, both back and front depending on whether its cycling, sprinklers, sand box, tag etc. But sometimes they go to the park and play there instead.
School months see less children outside - then outside activities tend to be more scheduled with soccer, volleyball etc.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:10 AM

223 posts, read 682,754 times
My kids play outside all the time but I rearely see other kids in our neighborhood outside, I wonder what they do? I do think its a suburbs thing. I remember growing up up played outside all the time(grew up in Queens), we did tag/sports in the street and palyed on our front porches/driveways with our barbies. I dont think I would ever see street play here. Maybe kids are in the backyards instead?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 AM

1,487 posts, read 3,740,307 times
"There are people lurking out there, even in good neighborhoods, who would want to kill you and your family and/or steal what is yours. Better be safe than sorry."

Oh come on, you have to let them grow up without being scheduled 24/7 at some point. How do kids learn initiative and how to make friends if their parents basically decide who they see and when, nowadays? In fact, I find even now, the stupidest people I know tend to also come from the most sheltered backgrounds. Nobody wants their kids to end up like Lauren Spierer (sp?) either, but I don't see a huge movement going on to stop kids from going away to college. You can't shelter your kid from every evil in the world, and statistically at least, the biggest threat by far to any child is from actual family, not strangers, although the media would have you believing otherwise.

Now, I'm certainly not saying that letting a 7 year old walk to school alone is a good idea, but if my kids can't play safely in my front yard on a cul-de-sac in the middle of Larchmont, something is very wrong with the world.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:27 AM

79 posts, read 241,479 times
I think it is actually more dangerous to let children play unsupervised than it used to be, precisely because so few people are doing it.

Assuming there is roughly the same, tiny proportion of threats as in the past, the risk they pose to one of 5 or 10 kids who may be out in a given town is obviously much greater than it would have been to one of 50 or 80, say, forty years ago.

I intend that only as an observation, not as an argument against letting kids have unsupervised time (which depends on a bunch of factors particular to each child's situation.)

Old 08-15-2011, 02:13 PM

132 posts, read 446,637 times
My son's at Teatown this week, too! Awesome camp and fabulous hiking. We've been taking the dog and the younger siblings hiking after we drop off big brother... outside is wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County