Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,725 times

Advertisements

Hi I am doing an informal study on why there is so much honking and selfish, inconsiderate driving going on on Westchester County roads. We are a relatively small area but the amount of honking, road rage, cutting off, etc etc is really unbelievable here. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 05:57 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,495 times
Because they are New Yorkers...second worst only behind NJ, IMO.

Californian's were only marginally better because you were always afraid of being shot.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:24 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,877 times
You wanna know my theory? Half of the drivers on the road are completely distracted by other things and oblivious to the fact that they are sharing the road with other cars - they're texting, talking on the phone, smoking, dealing with kids in the back seat, rummaging through bags on the floor, reading, you name it. The other half are the ones who honk and drive like crazy people because they are so pissed off at the distracted, oblivious drivers that it makes them crazy.

I admit to occasionally being one of the latter, because COME ON PEOPLE, if you have something better to do, pull over or just DON'T DRIVE AT THE SAME TIME.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:31 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
It really depends upon the part of the county, since it's not as common to have honkers in Northern Westchester as much as it is when one is closer to the city. The degree of congestion, lights, and perceptions that other drivers are in their way tend to make impatient people rely on the horn, especially since it can be a cultural element among some New Yorkers. I grew up between Manhattan and Northern Westchester, and the use of the horn always struck me as so different in each location. When in Northern Westchester, the tap on the horn was accompanied by a wave to a passing neighbor, whereas in the city and some other locations people honking at you was accompanied by another type of hand gesture.

The road rage issue is one that I have experienced myself more than once, and sometimes it's as if the person wants to prove something to me. I have noticed that there are times because of the brand/model of car I am driving, people tend to act much more aggressively toward me, when I am minding my own business on the road. There is a hostility to brand and type of vehicle sometimes that can be disconcerting when one is attempting to drive as defensively as possible, but can be noted in areas with higher amounts of traffic. Again, not something that stands out on Northern Westchester roads, but much more so from White Plains south, which I ascribe to the denser population with a larger pool of drivers in Lower Westchester.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-19-2011, 07:45 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Having come from Brooklyn I've found the drivers in lower Westchester to be exceptionally unhonky. There does some to be general cluelessness among young drivers about giving pedestrians the right of way though.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:13 AM

Re: the right of way, NYers in general are the worst pedestrians in the world, too. They could care less if traffic is flying at them - they walk right in front of your moving car in the middle of the road (and walk at don't walks on the rare occasions that they make it to an actual intersection ALL the time.)

Anything seems an improvement over the city, but still, the larger the town the more anonymous one can be and more of a jerk. I'm sure my neighbors aren't nearly as courteous on the road when they are driving into White Plains or the city!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:53 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
yea, they probably let out their devil when they get on the cross westchester expressway

Old 08-19-2011, 10:57 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Going back to Psych 101 at Pitt - "In humans, overcrowding appears to result in a decline in task performance and deterioration in social behaviour"...or, people get cranky when they get crowded.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:47 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,216 times
I spend a lot of time on the roads of Westchester since I drive for a living, and it never fails to amaze me just how rude and inconsiderate some drivers can be toward other drivers.

For example, earlier this summer I was coming out of the Mobil station on the Hutchinson River Parkway in Harrison and attempting to merge into the flow of traffic southbound. Traffic was heavy and not moving very quickly. As I made my way down the ramp with my turn signal on, some guy coming up in the lane I was trying to enter actually sped up to try to keep me from getting into the lane ahead of him! This was despite the fact that I was driving a larger vehicle than he was, too. At one point, we were side by side, and I was looking directly at his window, and he just acted like I wasn't there. Seriously, where did this guy think he was going that he couldn't afford to let one car get in front of him?

I agree with what bmwguydc said about this being more prevalent in southern Westchester than northern Westchester. I see a lot of speeding and weaving in and out of lanes on the Sprain Brook parkway southbound, especially by twentysomethings in their "tuners", perhaps driving home after attending classses at WCC in Valhalla.

My theory about the tailgating and aggressive driving is that many who engage in that type of behavior on the road do so because it's behavior that is carried over from their work environments, where being aggressive is often viewed as a positive thing. Some of you may have seen a recent story on the tv news which stated that being "nice" at work can actually be to your detriment, because you can be perceived as weak and be taken advantage of. I think a lot of people here in Westchester have that type of mentality, and think that their time is very valuable and they don't want to waste it by getting stuck behind someone who by his or her slower driving doesn't appear to value time as much as the person tailgating or flashing his headlights.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:35 PM

I don't even think that it's limited to Westchester...the whole moral fabric of the US is falling apart, starting at the top with our own Congress that are more interested in 'winning' than doing what is best for the greater good.

Did you see the story re: the tsunami's aftermath in Japan? Something crazy like 80% of all reported missing cash and jewels has been found and turned into the police to find its way to its reported owners. And here we are in this country creating flash mobs to rob places in the name of free speech. Sigh..............

They did the same thing as far as merging in LA. In fact, only suckers used their signals on the freeways, as you were literally inviting everyone to not let you in. For me, the only time I don't let people in is when they are being a douche and 'pretend' to not notice that their lane is ending until the last 2 inches...or they are just weaving all over the place trying to get nowhere fast and being a jerk. There, I've admitted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County