U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 05:12 AM

4 posts, read 27,881 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have recently accepted a job in Tarrytown, NY in Westchester County and am looking to rent a studio or 1 bed and am willing for a commute of up to 45mins. I am not familiar with the Tri- State area, any suggestions on good communities and cities?
Stamford, CT seems like a good place for single professionals, how bad would that ccommute be? Are there any train/bus connections to Tarrytown? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 04:23 PM

187 posts, read 337,246 times
My first question is - why not consider living in Tarrytown? Because you are single/renting. Tarrytown has rentals and also a lot of restaurants, etc. for going out. If you prefer to live outside of Tarrytown, the best towns to look at for mass transit would be to look at stops on the Metro North - Hudson River train line. Towns like Dobs Ferry, Hastings, Irvington, Pleasantville. Stamford is great for singles, but if I were you, I'd look at areas near where you are working, as the traffic is unbearable getting from CT to Tarrytown. Tarrytown is the last exit before the Tappan Zee Bridge - the most traveled bridge for a Westchester commute. Many places can be good or bad for singles depending upon age,income, interests, etc. so would need more information to advise. The closest city to Tarrytown is White Plains, and that would be a far easier commute. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2007, 10:18 AM

137 posts, read 919,940 times
If you work in Tarrytown there is no reason to live in Stamford. There is nothing so special in CT that would justify that annoying commute. I would look at White Plains. There are tons of rentals, 2 malls, lots of restaurants and bars and plenty of single people.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:43 PM

10 posts, read 57,885 times
I used to work in Tarrytown and lived in Tuckahoe. The commute was about 15-20 minutes. Tuckahoe is a small town. I liked living there. I rented a one bedroom apartment right near the train station on Sagamore Rd.
Good Luck!

Old 09-21-2008, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 21,536 times
Default Tarrytown rentals

There's no easy way to get from CT to TT. The New Haven metro north does not connect to the Harlem line near White Plains which would be the easiest way to get to TT. It would probably cost u just as much on transportation as it would to find a rental in or near TT. If you're looking for an upscale apartment White Plains would have more choices.Look at Yahoo real estate rentals. Otherwise Tarrytown has a small garden complex (Sleepy Hollow Gardens) that rents 1 bedroom apartments for around 1250 a month, unassigned parking, a garage will cost u around and extra 90 or 100. It's close to the Saw Mill, 287 is practically around the corner leading to the Saw mill, 95, 684, Pallisades Pkwy and Garden State Pkwy. The metro north is a $5 cab ride away or 15 min. walk and only a 20 ride to the city There's also a shuttle bus to go over the tappan zee bridge to the Pallisades mall. Buses also run to White Plains (Galleria Mall, The Westchester, Bloomingdales etc. etc.) Stop and Shop is 3 blocks away. The apartments are the largest rentals in the town for the least amount. Other rentals r in peoples houses, or u have to purchase a co-op or condo which r high in TT. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County