U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:05 PM

18 posts, read 62,699 times

Advertisements

Hi, New to Westchester and new to the public school system and would appreciate info on the rules in Westchester/NYS regarding skipping a grade level.
My 1st grader does not have any differentiated instruction available in Math at his school. The teacher says she is required to only teach the curriculum.
My child tested as gifted while schooling in a different state and was receiving enrichment classes. The work he is bringing home from his new school is way too easy!!
I am thinking of skipping a grade. Anyone knows what the process entails?
Sincerely
M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 10:16 AM

179 posts, read 230,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambansal View Post
Hi, New to Westchester and new to the public school system and would appreciate info on the rules in Westchester/NYS regarding skipping a grade level.
My 1st grader does not have any differentiated instruction available in Math at his school. The teacher says she is required to only teach the curriculum.
My child tested as gifted while schooling in a different state and was receiving enrichment classes. The work he is bringing home from his new school is way too easy!!
I am thinking of skipping a grade. Anyone knows what the process entails?
Sincerely
M
My son passed accessment test to enter GATS in the city in his first grade. He got 400 points compared to passing requirement was 110. Unfortunately they put him on waiting list because of no seat for him. Most the kids there enter GATS in Kindergarten and move to upper grade, there is only one class per grade there. GATS is very limit in NYS. We moved to WC. The school said the same thing to us. He could not skip grade and no challenge for him at all. He suffers. Again the school committee performed comprehensive evaluation for him at 4th grade. His IQ is 135 or he was 9 years old but his IQ was 14 and a half. The school still did not have any special program for him. I had to order math book for gifted kid for 6-8 grade from amazon.com for him to work at home. In class, when he finished school work, he could work by himself with that book. He gets emotional and social behavior up and down from time to time. I get hardtime to raise him up . I contacted GATS in the county and asked for help. The lady is very nice and acceptted him to GATS in New Rochelle or White Plains but no bussing. How he commute everyday to go school when we cannot pick up and drop off.
He is mathematical, science gifted, not writing or language. I feel so sorry for him but he can not skip grade. The school is very nice but no gifted program. They said he would have the right to take advance math, science courses from 7th grade in Middle school. Now he is in sixth and we have to give him challenges with math, CS or homeschool for those subjects. We pay too much school tax always and very disappointed.

You can ask the school for comprehensive evaluation for your son, then ask for 4-6 weeks trail first. if your son can do all the work well, make him skip grade. I hope, it works. Do everything for your son to help him to avoid his emotional or social behavior up and down. Good luck

Old 09-21-2011, 09:58 PM

197 posts, read 552,333 times
Why would you want to do that? Honestly. Skipping a grade means the child will most likely be smaller and an easier target for other pupils to pick on (which they will surely do out of jealousy of the childs intelligence when they hear he was skipped a grade). Also, the child will be a year younger when going off to college. Just some things you should consider.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:51 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,733,288 times
It sucks. I started a year early (November baby) and skipped a year of HS in an advanced program. I wasn't ready for college.

Better move is to find a private school.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:13 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,555,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambansal View Post
...The teacher says she is required to only teach the curriculum...
That is an absurd and unacceptable answer. She is required to teach the curriculum at the appropriate level for each child. You should set up a meeting with the principal and find out what the school's policy is for meeting children's specific needs. Even if they don't have a formalized differentiated instruction plan or G&T programs, they still need to ensure that every child is challenged and supported. If the response isn't good you could consider moving. Plenty of school districts in the area have good differentiated instruction plans and G&T. My son's elementary school divides the classes into three leveled groups for math (each group is made up of kids from different classes and goes with a different teacher). Kids who are well beyond grade level are taken out of the class for "advanced math"--I know of a fourth grader who is being instructed in 8th grade math. The school also has a G&T program. But first try to put some pressure on your teacher to give your child what he needs.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:46 AM

18 posts, read 62,699 times
Thanks for the input everyone.
DMA, I agree with you. That she is required to just teach the curriculum is a lame answer. I keep hearing how early it is into the school year for me to get worried about the work he is bringing home!Really??
As of yesterday I am being told that the teacher will work with him on an advanced book in Math. Waiting and watching.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:38 PM

815 posts, read 1,981,150 times
I just wanted to add a response from the perspective of a teacher. First of all, your son is in FIRST GRADE! Do you know how many parents think their first grader is brilliant??!!?? That isn't to say that he can't do more advanced math, but it is also just what, the second or third week of school? The teacher is probably doing a lot of assessing to see where the students are at, what they remember from Kindergarten and where she can begin teaching. Half the time at this point class rosters are still changing! The teacher is just getting to know all of the students - you know your child but she is trying to get up to speed with 20+ kids, and I guarantee you aren't the only parent asking her for this, that, and the other.

My suggestion is to make an appointment to sit down with her after school. Bring in examples of work your son has done, and explain what services he was previously getting. This will help her immensely. If you really want an educational assessment you'll need to make a formal request to the principal or psychologist, but I'm not sure what this will get you, truthfully. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:41 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 8,123,658 times
"Do you know how many parents think their first grader is brilliant??!!?"

90%

Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"Do you know how many parents think their first grader is brilliant??!!?"

90%
Not in Westchester where the only thing bigger than the tax bills are the egos.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post

Better move is to find a private school.
I take that back. Friends I know with kids at the most elite private schools have the same complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County