Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 06:03 PM

326 posts, read 718,823 times

Advertisements

Any good Chinese restaurants around any longer that aren't just take-out or buffets? Looking for a good one from Yonkers north to Hartsdale and anyplace in between for a birthday celebration..not White Plains please...too far for some guests..I've been to Imperial Wok on North Broadway, WP..it has nice ambiance but I was never impressed with the bland Chinese food they serve.

I recently found an excellent take-out called Kim Wei Kitchens on 132 Tuckahoe Rd. Yonkers (in the Dunkin Donuts/T-Mobile strip mall by the NY Thruway entrance...across from the hotels)..the shrimp with black bean sauce was excellent..it was a nice surprise.

Last edited by jeena; 09-26-2011 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 04:57 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,198 times
There's a place on 119 (Tarrytown Road) in Elmsford in the Staples parking lot that serves excellent food but it's too small for a large birthday party.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:45 AM

326 posts, read 718,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
There's a place on 119 (Tarrytown Road) in Elmsford in the Staples parking lot that serves excellent food but it's too small for a large birthday party.
It's funny that you mentioned that restaurant (it's called Bamboo something) because three weeks ago was the first time I ate there with a friend. I thought the hostess who greeted us was very rude. I asked her if we could look at the menu before we sat down so she gave it to us to look over and we decided to stay so we sat down at the closest table without thinking to tell her we were staying. She had a very annoyed look on her face and asked sarcastically if we were staying after we sat down. I know we made an unintentional mistake by not letting her know we were staying before we sat down, but I thought her attitude was uncalled for, especially with new customers, and the restaurant was not crowded, only one other patron was eating at one of the tables (as you say, the restaurant is small).

My friend was upset because she didn't want the rice (she's off carbs) that came with her dish even though she was paying for it so she asked for a few cashew nuts or a few slices of carrots in her shrimp dish as a substitute for the rice but they wouldn't accommodate her, they said she would have to pay for any extras.

I thought the food was just o.k. and the portions were small compared to what I am used getting at the Chinese take-outs.

My friend paid for both meals and after we left she told me she didn't leave the waiter a tip and she would never go back there again.

Thanks for your response.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:36 AM

24 posts, read 67,154 times
Hunan Village II in Hartsdale (east Hartsdale ave) is really good.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:44 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijahman View Post
If that's the one by the Best Buy and Trader Joe's then yes! They also have really good Dim Sum on Sundays!

Old 12-02-2011, 07:02 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijahman View Post
It's my personal favorite.....(if that's the one by Best Buy and Trader Joes)

Old 12-02-2011, 09:52 AM

866 posts, read 2,484,565 times
Hunan Village II is across from the Hartsdale train station. Best Buy and Trader Joe's are not on E Hartsdale Ave, they are on Central Park Ave. Isn't the place beside Best Buy a buffet???

And yes, Hunan Village has excellent food, but it is rather on the expensive side. We've eaten in the restaurant once but usually do delivery. It ain't cheap but it's good! The tangerine beef is awesome!

Old 12-06-2011, 08:14 AM

24 posts, read 67,154 times
Yeah, Hunan II is in Hartsdale by the train station (not near Best Buy\Trader Joe).

I haven't eaten at the place near Best Buy\Trader Joe's on Central Ave but here its really good Chinese buffet.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:56 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
I was at the Hunan Village and didn't find it remarkable, but it could have been an off day. Another place that I like for a casual Lower Westchester Chinese restaurant, though it's Chinese & Japanese, is the Pelham Palace. I can only vouch for what I have eaten, as have others with whom I have dined there, one of whom is native Chinese, and the food has been consistently done well. I am a bit on the picky side when it comes to how dishes are prepared because of allergies, but the staff there have been very accommodating, such that I would recommend it if in the Pelham area.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County